Consumer Reports: GE Washers That Make Clothes Dirtier?

Consumer Reports tested some washers in June and found two that left stain-soaked swatches nearly as dirty as when they went in. Now further tests have revealed that the washing machines actually made the clothes dirtier! From Consumer Reports:

Door seals in the GE WCVH6600H[WW], $900, and WBVH5100H[WW], $750, frequently trapped washcloths during the high-speed spin cycle. The seals were abraded and deposited ground-up rubber on the cloths. We tested one unit of each washer before they were sold at retail and one unit each bought at stores anonymously. Door seals in all four washers left the residue, and we couldn’t completely remove the resulting stains with further washing.

Consumer Reports has downgraded the washers to “not recommended.”

Two New GE Washers Not Recommended [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. Godz says:

A lot of older HE washers would grind dirt into clothing! Stick with Whirlpool washers.

2. rubyist says:

My mother works at a Home Depot and says that the GE appliances are about the worst you can buy, judging by the experiences of her customers. I recently had to buy a washer and drier, she recommended Maytag or Whirlpool, and said the LG machines were decent, too. I went with Maytag and they work well — I haven’t noticed any extra dirt anyway.

3. Ryan Duff says:

@rubyist:
    I shop at hardware stores and think that Home Depot is the worst based on the experience of other customers. I recommend Lowes of your locally owned hardware store.

Sorry, I just had to say it! :P

4. rocky76 says:

i’ve owned a front loading GE washer & dryer (not sure if it’s one of these model #’s) for over a year without a hitch. but don’t think when i get home from work i’m not double checking the model numbers and keeping an eye out for rubber stains.

5. frankwi says:

This would have been nice to know 3 weeks ago when I purchased one of these washers. I’ve probably done 15 loads of laundry since then, and have yet to see this problem, but looking at the seal, it’s pretty easy to see how this could happen.

6. FLConsumer says:

Friends don’t let friends buy GE appliances, pure & simple.

[www.thathomesite.com has an appliance and separate laundr…

7. rubyist says:

@ryan – don’t worry, I shop at Lowes and locally when I can :)

8. Gawg says:

A little over a year ago I bought a GE WBVH6240 front loading washer. My wife recently told me it wasn’t working properly. Clothes come out dingy or worse, with holes. She said she had to throw out several items that had been ruined by the washer. She also told me there was a strong mildew odor on clothes that are not immediately removed at the end of a wash cycle. Today the GE repairman was here. He said that the mildew was caused by the door gasket drain hole having raised edges. This traps a small amount of water which promotes mold growth. He said the gasket should be wiped down after each use of the washer. That’s funny, after I use the washer I have to clean it! Sounds like a design flaw to me. GE doesn’t seem to care that there is a problem. In fact their only solution was to send a repairman out to tell me to clean the washer and charge me $60.00. I will never buy another GE product.

9. ludwigk says:

@Ryan Duff: My old local Home Depot in Tennessee had phenomenal service. The people there were knowledgeable and helpful. In Ohio, I had the same experience. It was some of the best retail service I’ve ever received. Maine also had excellent Home Depots with smart sales people who were passionate and skilled at both retail service and home maintenance.

After the year 2003, after moving to the west coast, Every Home Depot has been a travesty. Terrible service, people who don’t know anything about the store layout, and can’t direct me to common repair items.

I used to be a fanatical HomeDepot shopper. I spent maybe $8000 in a month on tools and raw building supplies when I built my small business. Now I can’t even stand the place.

10. dlemyre says:

I have the GE washer you featured in this article about the washer actually making the clothes dirtier. It is true! My clothes are gray dingy and filthy looking. I prided myself on my white socks for years. But no more. I am so upset. I paid $1200 for this washer. The towels all smell like mildew and are all discolored. I have not had a problem with the rubber but my wash is not clean. I do not believe there is enough water used in a cycle to really get the clothes clean.

11. NMFRYE says:

We built a new home 5 1/2 years and purchased all new Kenmore appliances from Sears. The dishwasher broke after 5 years and the wall oven recently went down at 5 1/2 years; both were used about 2 times a week. It cost more to repair them than to purchase them. I decided to replace the oven with a different brand and priced shopped for 2 weeks. The salesperson at Sears told me if I found a better price at any local competitor they would match it and take an additional 10% off the price. I found a much better price ($200.00 better). When I went back with the information and to purchase the oven, Sears informed me the store was not on their “approved competitor list” and would not honor the price. Needless to say I did not purchase from Sears nor will I continue to shop there for anything else.