Now I Can Use My iPhone!

Anthony, who wasn’t able to use his new iPhone for over 48 hours when porting his AT&T number over, just got his problem solved! Hooray!

Ben! All I can say is you guys are magic!

I just received this 5 minutes ago and now my iPhone actually works! I called Mr. Miller and he told me that there was an delay with several ported numbers and they went into a backlog and they are working on resolving those numbers. Now I can explore my iPhone. Thanks again!

Hello Anthony,

My name is Rick Miller. I am a senior analyst for one of our top data call centers for AT&T. I received information today regarding your circumstances and have reviewed your account for resolution. I am terribly sorry for the experience you had with activation of your new iPhone but I do have good news. After looking into the activation request that was sent and why there was such a long delay I was able to get the activation pushed through our system and your new iPhone should be ready to use shortly. The only effort needed to be made at this point would be to re-sync it to your desktop PC just as you did initially and the activation should complete properly.

I apologize for having to send an email but the all of the contact numbers we have on your account in the billing system reference the mobile number you are trying to activate. What we would like for you to do is re-sync your new iPhone one more time to complete the activation process. Once that is done could you reply to this email at your earliest convenience so that we can be assured that you are now working properly. If you like you can reply with your direct contact information and either myself or someone from our data group will respond to you as soon as possible.

Senior analyst working to solve a problem, now that’s what we like to hear. Anthony’s email directly to Steve Jobs (sjobs@apple.com) was probably the key to getting the problem solved. Disappointing that that’s what it takes.

PREVIOUSLY: I Still Cannot Use My iPhone

Comments

1. raybury says:

Rookie mistake, not having another contact number. (Although, yes, something that’s getting easier not to have.)

AT&T should take a page from its own Cingular GoPhones program. They are hella easy to activate online, once you figure out which number is which.

2. NoNamesLeft says:

Dear Consumerist,

I love these iPhone stories! Keep’em coming!

Love,

NoNamesLeft

3. chimmike says:

dear consumerist. Please advise those that b*tch about their Iphones that there is a price to pay for being a technology “innovator” as they are referred to by marketers. They are the consumers that buy the newest technology when it comes out regardless of price. And regardless of how crappy it is or how poorly it works.

All this complaining, bah. Get over it. It’s a friggin fancy phone, lol.

4. mermaidshoes says:

i appreciate the iphone coverage. regardless of when a product was developed, it’s entirely reasonable to expect that something will work when you buy it–ESPECIALLY when you pay $500+ for it. this type of story is exactly what the consumerist is about: highlighting (potentially widespread) problems with products, and sharing ways to fix those problems. just because something is new doesn’t mean it shouldn’t work properly and/or receive coverage. all things considered, “new” products are probably deserving of the most coverage, by nature of being new and therefore, y’know, “NEWs.” and i don’t think being a “technology innovator” should have a painfully high price. if initial releases have problems, more extensive testing, not less early adoption, should be the answer.

5. synergy says:

If there were more people refusing to buy a product the second it comes out regardless of it probably not working correctly, then I’m pretty sure the companies would be a lot better at putting out products that work right. It’s the bottom line.

6. Mr. Gunn says:

I got a Nokia N75 today, paid $200, and activated it instantly with a phone call. No computer, no itunes, no wait.

I had previously backed up my contacts and calendar in outlook, so it was just a couple seconds more to repopulate my info.

Then, I re-installed all the free programs I had for my last phone, which also ran Symbian.

Then, because I kept my same plan, wherein I pay $20 for unlimited data, I went to the mobile YouTube site using the web browser and watched high-res, skipless video streaming over my 3G connection.

Then, I bought some removeable storage for $10/GB.

Hope y’all are enjoying your iphones, though. Maybe you’ll be able to do at least one of the above by the second or third revision.

7. RebekahSue says:

The new Indiana Jones movie is being filmed in New Haven this week. My friend and I went downtown for dinner and to take pictures of the old cars. (I saw a MINT Packard, by the way!)

We saw more iPhones than RAZRs.

The old cars impressed me more. I love the technology that went into the iPhone, but not the people who enjoyed pulling them out as accessories. (The people with iPhones were able to use them, no audible [swearing] problems.)

8. snoozeroo says:

The problems with iPhone activations were mostly related to ports from other carriers. If you want to see why that can take a really long time, get familiar with the process here: the Number Portability Administration Center. You’ll find that even a small mismatch in customer information can delay a port. Fun stuff.