FDA: Veggie Booty Snack Food Contaminated With Salmonella

The FDA is warning consumers not to eat Veggie Booty snack food, because there is a risk of salmonella contamination. Reader Ethan asked us to announce this recall because “Pretty much everyone I know who has a toddler buys this stuff.” We’d never heard of it, but Salon.com calls it “crack for babies” and says it smells “funkier than poop.” Ok.

The FDA says parents should throw away any packages of Robert’s American Gourmet brand Veggie Booty they have in their home. Anyone who has eaten the stuff and experiences the following symptoms should immediately see a doctor.

Salmonella typically causes diarrhea (may be bloody); the diarrhea is often accompanied by abdominal cramps and fever. Symptoms typically begin within one to four days after exposure to the bacteria. In infants, persons with poor underlying health and those with weakened immune systems, Salmonella can invade the bloodstream and cause life-threatening infections.

The warning is based on 52 illnesses in 17 states:

California (seven cases), Colorado (five cases), Connecticut (one case), Georgia (one case), Indiana (one case), Massachusetts (three cases), Minnesota (two cases), New Hampshire (two cases), New Jersey (two cases), New York (13 cases), Oregon (one case), Pennsylvania (three cases), Tennessee (one), Texas (one), Vermont (three cases), Washington (four cases), and Wisconsin (two cases).

According to the FDA, “Almost all the illnesses have occurred in children under 10 years old, with the most cases in toddlers. Most persons had reported bloody diarrhea; four were hospitalized.” Manufacturing of Veggie Booty has ceased, so toss out your supply and report any illnesses. If you have any questions, call the FDA at 888-INFO-FDA.

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Veggie Booty Snack Food [FDA]

Bootylicious
[Salon]
(Photo: Salon)

Comments

1. royal72 says:

ass chips

2. ShadeWalker says:

woo hoo! go american poison uh… truck!

3. MikeWas says:

My wife gives this stuff to our kids. Maybe that’s why the diapers have been so foul lately.

4. TedSez says:

This is the company that was sued a couple years ago when tests found that its “healthful” snacks contained more than three times the amount of fat they advertised.

5. Pelagius says:

Is it made in China?

6. evilfremen says:

This stuff is almost entirely eaten by toddlers and veggies/healthnuts. Personally, I have always thought it tasted like packaging peanuts, so I won’t exactly shed a tear that they have halted production.

7. TechnoDestructo says:

Veggie Booty?

This pirate crap has to die.

Also that sounds dirty.

8. tcp100 says:

It has the word “veggie” in it, it’s GOT to be good, right!

I need to admit, these things do smell like a dead man’s crotch. Seriously, they’re heinous.

9. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp I’m more of an extremely salty, traditional potato-chip fan, like Golden Flake, or in a pinch, Lays. Those, or nacho-cheese Doritos. Yeah, they’re probably horrible for my health, but better than getting my guts reamed out by salmonella bugs!

&nbsp &nbsp My favorite “healthy” snack is celery stuffed with Philadelphia cream cheese.

&nbsp &nbsp And, I’m hoping this format cleans up the suddenly-hideous comment look of the past few days. I don’t suppose I can do anything about my screen name being yelled out in all-caps, though…

10. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp No such luck. Maybe this, instead…

11. ExecutorElassus says:

Garrrr!

damn, I used to love that stuff. Not only was it like eating spinach-flavored air with some salt, it always had these goofball slogans on the bag (like “Shiver Me Timers” and “YES! puffed rice and corn!”). The other flavors were even weirder.

12. ExecutorElassus says:

uh… that’s “Timbers”

13. Kos says:

at Tedsez and Mikewas

Yeah, they lied about the fat content. This company had a whole bunch of problems. See here:

[sfgate.com]

The settlement for the fat content issues was in 2006 and was only $3.5 million for the class.

It was of course appealed and then sent back to the trial court

[tushnet.blogspot.com]

14. mschlock says:

This stuff is completely responsible for generations of children not understanding the proper use of the term “booty.”

WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

15. sushi1869 says:

I sense Amazon had some inside information since they offered $30 off $40 or more of these. Trying to get rid of them before the public recall eh?

16. FLConsumer says:

“booty”… hmm. Does this mean these will go straight to your ass? Just what we need, one more product which will make the American ass larger than it already is.

17. fairweather says:

Pre-packaged health foods are a contradiction in their own terms.

18. zaky says:

Not just crack for babies. I live on this stuff….at least….I did. This is a sad, sad day.

19. mermaidshoes says:

pirate’s booty is wayyyy better than veggie booty. i hope it’s not all salmonella’ed out too. :(

20. BiscuitDoughJones says:

It’s a conspiracy hatched by the religious right!
    This exacly what the fundies want- all of us ‘queers’ to stop munching on booty!

(bad joke, I admit. You may smack me.)

21. ancientsociety says:

I never understood why anyone thought this was good. It’s disgusting. It reminds me of a combination of stale nori and cardboard.

22. Mom2Talavera says:

@mermaidshoes:

I agree! Although my daughter likes both.

Hey anyone remember The Rajneeshees?

that religious cult that successfully sickened 751 people in Oregon. They used salmonella enterica (stereotype Typhimurium) a strain of bacterium commonly the cause of food poison.
    The Rajneeshees used bio terrorism so they could have a majority in the local elections and move themselves into power. The Rajneeshees contaminated 10 salad bars at different restaurants with salmonella enterica. On September 17th, 1984 the health (Two of the more prominent members of the Rajneeshees) department of Wasco-Sherman County learned of an outbreak of food poisoning. By September 21st public health officials had recorded approximately 25 cases of food poisoning. With these incidents the first official act of bioterrorism in the U.S. begins. By September 30 health officials had reports of an astounding 423 cases and 20 people hospitalized. The Rajneeshees then tried to contaminate others by coating doorknobs and urinal handles in the courtroom bathrooms but that had little to no effect. They also spread it on lettuce at a local supermarket, but there were no known reports of food poisoning from that effort. After that the Rajneeshees were caught and a stop was put to their bioterrorism attacks…..google it!

23. dotorg greg says:

uh, why?

if a guy with 40 rainbow-colored Rolls Royces tells you to eat a Wendy’s salad bar, would you do it? Of course not.

But as for the Booty, for a few months, it was almost the only veggie-related thing the kid would eat. We started wishing everything came in Booty format.

24. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Arrrgh…I just can’t get meself to buy a bag o’ grub for to which is named “booty.” Pass the sour cream and cheddar Ruffles.

25. TVarmy says:

Pirate Booty is good, but it creates a massive club of cheese-style powder on one’s hand. Where’s the class action lawsuit against that?

I’m pretty sure this stuff is 95% steam-extruded cornstarch, like Cheese Doodles are made of, minus cheese. Begs the question of what makes them healthy.