Consumer Reports squarely places the blame for unsafe Chinese products on everyone.

Comments

1. ChrisC1234 says:

I take offense to being partly blamed for all of the junk imported from China. I would gladly pay MORE money for quality products that are made in the USA. I think we should cut off all imports made from China. If it were actually possible to get everything I need without supporting companies that make cheap junk in China, I would.

2. mopar_man says:

As they should. Everybody wants something for nothing. China provides it with some slight side effects. I buy what I can that isn’t made in China.

3. timmus says:

I have been ranting and moaning about Chinese products since 2000 or 2001. A lot of good that did… now there’s 10 times as much Chinese crap.

The sad fact is that I still remember the “Made In The USA” jingle from 1980s Wal-Mart commercials. Roll on, Sam Walton, roll on in that grave.

4. I am curious if it is possible for Americans to live one year without any Chinese made products, including plastic forks used at fast food restaurants.

Personally I think the companies with brand names should bear most of the blame. After all, when consumers making purchase choices, brand name recognition & brand name trust play a major role. Due to globalization & free market, developing countries can produce same products at much lower cost, therefore companies from first world would then move their production facilities to countries like China.

The objective of this move is purely economically motivated.

I doubt this type of mishap would ever stop, as long as major companies rather meet their profit margin than keep their reputation at stake.

I would encourage these companies’ executives to follow the practice of seppuku or disembowelment.

[www.tian.cc]

5. RebekahSue says:

My kid* wants the new LRG Dead Serious hoodie. Most of my online shopping showed auctions from China – many of which were canceled sellers. After seeing all the counterfeits HERE, I wasn’t about to risk it.

I finally found it – right color and size – from someone in the Midwest USA. Counterfeiting aside, I’d really rather help OUR economy, especially if I can purchase from an individual.

I don’t know where the damn thing originates; I’m just glad that it’s costing $35 less than on Amazon, and $160 less than at some of the online hip-hop shops. It’s simply not comparable to anything else I’ve seen, design-wise.

While we’re at it: any other women have a problem buying clothes made in China? Chinese women are generally built dainty, and I am NOT. I have to buy a size or two up, which is ego-destroying when I’ve been dieting and am, in US clothing, only one size away from where I was five years ago. Not to mention that I’ve been getting comments on my, shall we say…build? since I was 13? Try finding a Chinese blouse with gathers deep enough for me! If I don’t buy American, I buy Big Men’s oversized shirts.

___
    *said kid is 19 years old. I wouldn’t get him this if he were still in school. He’s also just started tattooing. Normally, I’d tell him to save his money, but I’ll “trade” for a tattoo; I’d tip another artist what the shirt costs, anyway. MY mom, of course, is horrified (and she hasn’t even seen his skull-ridden work!) but I think it’s more like being the refrigerator for his art. :P

6. bluemeep says:

I think my local novelty shop would be hit pretty hard if we all started boycotting Chinese products. Where am I gonna get my fake vomit if not from China? Taiwan? Have you seen their fake vomit? Terrible! Wouldn’t fool a baby! And don’t get me started on the Groucho glasses and X-Ray specs!

7. etinterrapax says:

I would prefer USA-made products as well. I don’t know how long we thought we could keep putting people out of work and then demanding that they buy things to support our economy. It’s completely unsustainable, and now we’re seeing the result of what started decades ago. The cheap goods are half of the problem, viz: the need for cheap goods supports the market for cheap manufacturing, which drives the need for cheap goods by shifting jobs elsewhere. Those of us who could afford better take advantage of the cheap goods and direct the money elsewhere, as is natural; everyone wants a good price. I’d really love to see us stop all Chinese imports and resume American manufacturing, but that would mean that certain overpaid executives would have to decide they care more about the public good than they do about their own money. And we already know from their past actions that they don’t.

8. NefariousNewt says:

America has become hoist upon its own petard. The American consumer wants cheaper, more plentiful goods. China has provided that, through the use of mass labor (and not always willing labor at that). The price of Chinese goods is low, and we gobble them up, scarcely noticing that the quality is not up to our usual standards. The Chinese realize that in order to keep the American market fed a steady diet of low-cost goods and compete with other nations offering cheap labor, they will have to drive down prices even further. To that end, they take shortcuts, use shady materials, and generally allow the quality to suffer even further, hoping the American consumer won’t notice. And the sad part is, most consumers don’t notice. Those of us who do, are left in a quandary, because this drive for more-and-cheaper had limited competition, made it impossible to find the things we want in anything other than Chinese versions, and kept us from voting with our wallets. I’m personally fed up with the poor quality of Chinese goods and avoid them wherever I can, but it’s getting harder and harder to do and it’s going to require some kind of government intervention to stem the flood and turn back these flawed products. But as China is one of our largest trading partners and every American corporation is hot to make money from the Chinese market, I don’t see this happening anytime soon.

9. ShadeWalker says:

@RebekahSue: the hoodie is very likely to be stolen then considering how cheap you’re finding it. or even a bootleg actually.

10. Toodles5000 says:

@ RebekahSue:

Where the clothing is made does not affect the fit of the clothing. It depends on the specs that the apparel brand sends along to the factory. So when things fit poorly, blame the brand.

11. RebekahSue says:

@ShadeWalker: i hope it’s at least close. it was less than amazon but FAR less than the hip hop stores. and more than the “user’s account has been canceled” users were selling it for.
    i used paypal so i should be ok. besides, Corey shops in chinatown; he probably won’t mind a bootleg since he’s the only one of his friends who has it.
    i’ll take a picture when it arrives.
    damn, i hope it’s close… he’s planning a trip to chinatown to the supply shop to get gloves and pink ink for my cherry blossom tattoo…

12. RebekahSue says:

@ShadeWalker: if you check back: the hoodie is real. and I don’t want to give it to my kid. It’s COOL!