Smackdeal Shopping Event Starts At 3pm Eastern

The Consumerist Smackdeal shopping game starts at 3pm Eastern. Today, announced Jellfyish there will be no more 60-day wait for the rebate. You only pay the discounted price…

It works like a reverse auction, where price drops as the time goes on. The game is to buy the product at the lowest price, which can get up to 80% off. However, you don’t know how many they’re selling so if you wait too long, you lose out. Side games and a real-time chat enliven the affair.

Based on your comments, we asked for these products, we’ll see how many show up in the game:

Wii
80gb ipod
X-Box 360 Elite
rechargeable batteries + charger
Mac Mini
Keyspan TVI-200C Tuneview For Ipod (Keyspan TVI200C)
Nikon D40
200 gig + external hard drive
Garmin Nuvi 370
HTC Pocket PC/Smartphones

Check out the action here.

p.s. We’re not getting paid for this. We just thought it would be fun. Don’t want the deals? Don’t play.

Comments

1. Moosehawk says:

aaahhhh I can’t wait. I really want that Wii.

2. Scottish says:

Mr. Popken: It can go to 100% off, though that is almost certain not to happen.

3. Moosehawk says:

Actually, it can go over %100. The auction goes until it sells, even if it goes over. That means you get paid to buy the auction. I saw it happen about a week ago.

4. Is it too tough to get a countdown that actually counts down?

5. Scottish says:

That was a glitch, Moosehawk :) There also shouldn’t have been a quantity of 41 on that particular deal.

6. TPIRman says:

Damn, this looks like fun. I’m sorry I can’t make it. Cool idea, Ben.

7. Moosehawk says:

Palmer: I saw a one that had 23 items, not 41.

8. ACruzer says:

I heart you consumerist… You took the two sites i’m addicted to ATM, and linked them.. Thanks, I’ll send you the bill :-)

9. lawnmowerdeth says:

I’ve been addicted to the Smack Shopping ever since the last Consumerist show. Back in March I think.

10. mikyrok says:

A Wii would sell instantly.

11. dwarf74 says:

This is neat and all, but what ever happened to the “sting operation” special report, where you teased us with a Geek Squad logo?

12. Doc Benway says:

I am still waiting on my refund check from these guys. Whats up with that.

13. Ben Popken says:

@Doc Benway: Has it been at least 60 days since the purchase? If so, email me (ben@consumerist.com) your details and I’ll have them look into it.

14. Doc Benway says:

@Ben Popken: I took care of it with the Smack People. Basically it was bad information provided by one of their CSRs. He/She/It told me it be automatically mailed and it turns out I have to ask for it. Seems a little shady to me. Probably making money in one of the high interest savings accounts waiting for me to figure it out.

15. Doc Benway says:

@Ben Popken: But thanks for offering to look into it.

16. owryly says:

The deals at jellyfish can go for as much %100 off. There is always a deal going on and the chat is great company. Jellyfish is very attentive to the group called the “smack”. The customer service is the best i’ve encountered on the net. This is only going to get better!

17. Moosehawk says:

Ben you need to have them set up another show again in the future. This one rocks so far.

18. owryly says:

That show was incredible Ben. The products smacked are always asked for. They went for great deals. Nice job!

19. TheDude06 says:

Consumerist: Could you please explain to me how playing a “game” is a good idea to get a good price on something? I dont understand why the post isnt urging people to AVOID potential scams like this, and just deal with reputable retailers.

Especially in light of you being included in google as “news”, this is really absurdly out of place content.

20. Xkeeper says:

@TheDude06:
    They do teach you to avoid scams, by showing you the bad ones and also showing you the good ones, like this :)