How badly must have the child been screaming for his tantrum over apple juice that “the stewardess didn’t bring quickly enough” to force the plane to make an emergency landing? Maybe he was really crying because Delta, like every other airline, has been quietly liquefying his frequent flyer miles.

Comments

1. Airlines and pilots are pussies. They deserve to have the government step in and take over the whole fucking business of transportation. Just like highways are regulated by the Govt, so airways should also. Then passengers wouldn’t get screwed by retarded airline rules, planes would be replaced before their quarto-centennial anniversary, and pilots couldn’t just do whatever the fuck they want.

2. MikeB says:

Maybe the kid started coughing too hard.

3. pinkbunnyslippers says:

Are you effing kidding me? I would be IRATE. It’s called parently, mom-of-child-throwing-tantrum. TRY IT.

Oh, and DELTA stands for D.oesn’t E.ver L.eave T.he A.irport!

4. pinkbunnyslippers says:

oops – I meant “parenting” – not “parently”!

5. SaveMeJeebus says:

So… Pilots can just land an airplane because of a bratty kid, but they are “powerless” to free 50+ imprisoned passengers?

6. SaveMeJeebus says:

Imprisoned passengers being on the ground of course. Not in the air. That wouldn’t be safe.

7. ncboxer says:

I would throw a tantrum too if I didn’t get my Sprite. What no Sprite to wash down these 3 measly peanuts… are you kidding me… ARRRRGGGGGG, land this plane right now!

Personally if it was my kid, I’d take them to the bathroom for a little hands on parenting.

8. MeOhMy says:

@Pope John Peeps II:
    LOL

Wait…you WERE being facetious, right?

9. roche says:

This is why strangers should be allowed to smack random children

10. juri squared says:

Wha… who… HOW? My mind just boggles at this idea.

11. ladycrumpet says:

I really just don’t understand this. Kids can be difficult, but where was the parental authority? If your kid is throwing a tantrum, it’s your responsibility to handle your kid. Between this and those people who got kicked off the flight because their toddler wouldn’t sit down on that AirTran flight, these are some pretty bad cases. Even allowing for extenuating circumstances, like the kid is tired or has an ear infection, it’s up to the parents to be responsible for their kid and not expect everyone else to make allowances for them. My parents would have thrashed me for behaving like that.

12. swalve says:

The pilot is only “The Captain” when he’s in the air. On the ground, the airport rules.

And the airlines used to be regulated, and it cost $500 for an hour flight. Deregulation brought cheaper fares, and along with those fare come the straphangers who can only afford the cheap seats. Enjoy.

13. TPIRman says:

I think Delta should have followed AirTran’s lead and just kicked the family off the plane. Yes, I’m aware that they were airborne at the time.

14. Tallanvor says:

“Ma’am, here’s a parachute for you and your child. Shut him up, or we’re going to ask you to leave.”

This is why children under a certain age shouldn’t fly.

Of course, if pilots are such medical experts that they can determine if someone is fit for travel, maybe they should be allowed to administer sedatives to screaming kids? –After all, pilots are supposed to be perfect, right?

15. Chicago7 says:

I’ve never done this on an airplane, but I have done it at fast food places.

When a kid is behaving badly, I yell at them “Sit down and shut up” etc. They are usually so stunned that someone would tell them what to do, that they shut up and sit down.

It’s not recommended for everyone. I’ve had parents get nasty and I’ve had parents thank me. I’m a pretty big guy, so I can deal with it.

16. Craig says:

I dealt with three Delta flights over the past week and will never fly Delta again. All three were late by 60-200 minutes, there were no updates at the airport as to when the flight would leave (which meant that passengers were tied to the gate rather than being free to wander around the airport), and to top it all off they lost my luggage on the final flight (it was eventually delivered). It was by far the worst experience I’ve ever had with an airline.

17. TinaT says:

Mental note: If the toilets back up on my plane, I can throw a tantrum to get them to land.

18. Mills says:

This is why drugging children for flying purposes should be allowed. I mean, dosing the kid with Benadryl is doing it a favor.

19. spanky says:

What’s with the ‘mom’ and ‘Ma’am’ up in here?

Dads suck, too, you know.

20. ediebeale says:

I posted a comment on this in the post above accidentally. I HATE this new layout, it’s confusing, and I can’t tell where posts start and stop.

Anywho, I agree with Tallanvor. Children under a certain age should not fly unless it’s some kind of emergency/funeral situation. Yes, I know that is easier said than done. I would have been pissed if I had been on this flight, but they should have landed the plane AND pressed charges against the family. It would be a good lesson for the parents in the importance of disciplining your child correctly.

21. Erskine says:

My brother uses the Nyquilada technique on his kids.

“No, you can’t have apple juice. Now shut up and take your cough meds…”

22. DJFelix says:

Somewhat off-topic, but funny nonetheless. This is how this article appeared in Google Reader:

23. samftla says:

The Bankruptcy courts saved Delta for this? Maybe they should have just let them die a painless death rather than putting the Delta customers through a long and painful death. I had been Platinum Medallion with Delta but gave up on them. In a weak moment I decided to fly them this past April when they emerged from bankruptcy and wow, if I thought they were bad before bankruptcy I found just how low they could go. Instead of outsourcing their reservations and customer service they should outsource their operations to Singapore Airlines or Lufthansa, then we might just have a major domestic airline worthy of our patronage.

24. FrankTheTank says:

“Authorities said there would be no charges filed in the incident.”

Why the hell not?

25. nardo218 says:

@Chicago7: I’ve done that too. In a store, some little horror was trying to rip off all the tags on a bunch of shirts I was about to look at (I needed to see size and price). The mom was waffling, “Ryan, don’t do that,” and little Ryan completely ignored her. I reached over his head, took the tag from his grubby little hand, and said, “Ryan. I need that.” He didn’t know I was standing behind him, so I shocked him into knocking it off.

WtF is WITH parents today? Kids do not respect their authority! I’m a teacher’s aid in an elementary school, and the ‘bad’ kids behave so much better in the structured environment with consistent rules and punishments. Why is this so hard for parents?

26. cvasara says:

I just don’t like sitting next to kids in that little prison called an airplane. Avoid them unruly brats as much as possible, but sometimes there just is no escape. Parents should handle them, but they DON’T. Or maybe they CAN’T.
    Give me those smokers any day, it wasn’t so bad to have a smoking section. (No, I don’t smoke, never have)
    Maybe a kid only section would help group the screamers and criers and un-ruly kids in one section.