Watch Out! It's Hot!

As you can see by some of the temperatures out there, it’s mighty hot in some places where it isn’t always hot. So, to keep senior citizens like Brett Favre from getting ill up there in 90 degree Green Bay, WI, here are some tips on staying healthy in the heat from the CDC.

The best defense is prevention. Here are some prevention tips:

• Drink more fluids (nonalcoholic), regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. Warning: If your doctor generally limits the amount of fluid you drink or has you on water pills, ask him how much you should drink while the weather is hot.

• Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar-these actually cause you to lose more body fluid. Also, avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.

• Stay indoors and, if at all possible, stay in an air-conditioned place. If your home does not have air conditioning, go to the shopping mall or public library-even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body stay cooler when you go back into the heat. Call your local health department to see if there are any heat-relief shelters in your area.

• Electric fans may provide comfort, but when the temperature is in the high 90s, fans will not prevent heat-related illness. Taking a cool shower or bath, or moving to an air-conditioned place is a much better way to cool off.

• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.

• NEVER leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.

• Although any one at any time can suffer from heat-related illness, some people are at greater risk than others. Check regularly on:

• Infants and young children
• People aged 65 or older
• People who have a mental illness
• Those who are physically ill, especially with heart disease or high blood pressure

• Visit adults at risk at least twice a day and closely watch them for signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Infants and young children, of course, need much more frequent watching.

If you must be out in the heat:

• Limit your outdoor activity to morning and evening hours.

• Cut down on exercise. If you must exercise, drink two to four glasses of cool, nonalcoholic fluids each hour. A sports beverage can replace the salt and minerals you lose in sweat. Warning: If you are on a low-salt diet, talk with your doctor before drinking a sports beverage. Remember the warning in the first “tip” (above), too.

• Try to rest often in shady areas.

• Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat (also keeps you cooler) and sunglasses and by putting on sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher (the most effective products say “broad spectrum” or “UVA/UVB protection” on their labels).

Tips for Preventing Heat-Related Illness [CDC]

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Having trouble filling today’s posting quota? :)

2. exkon says:

Curse you Global Warming!!!

3. huginn says:

I blame Paris Hilton coming out of jail.

either she really does make a room hotter, or is secretly in league with the devil

4. MiltyKiss says:

Brings a whole new meaning to “red state” eh? EH? Fine! *leaves*

5. magic8ball says:

@ Huggin: actually, she is one of the signs of the coming Apocalypse. She does make the place hotter, because she is in league with devil. It’s not that big of a secret, honestly.

6. Meg Marco says:

@homerjay: No, the topic is important to me because a family member died in a heat wave.

7. billybastion says:

what the fuck does this have to do with consumerist issues?

or have you already posted it, i missed it, and now look like an asshole?

8. BelBivDevolkswagen says:

78 in Caribou, Maine?!? Better call my uncle Marty and tell him the annual dogsled race is cancelled…

9. kerry says:

@meghannmarco: Really? That’s terrible. I’m alarmed that it’s warmer in Northern Wisconsin than it is in Chicago, my parents have a house up there and it’s where we escape to for a week or so during the summer to cool off. I hope this pattern fixes itself by the end of July or I’m gonna be pissed.

10. tcp100 says:

@billybastion: “and where is that video that you “teased” us with? did you just hope wed forget about it?”

You didn’t miss it, unless we all did. Ben and Meghann have said nada on the topic. C’mon though, give ‘em a break, it’s not like they’ve strung up companies for similar stunts… oh, wait..

C’mon guys, do the dell-bloggin’ right thing and tell us that this major expose-video article ain’t coming, or it’s delayed, or was an error as an announcement.

Unless they were talking about the hex key allen wrench thing, in which case my mind is blown, man.

Also, with this new design, how in holy buttland do we get back to “previous” articles? I can’t find the link on the page like before. Maybe we are all dumb.

11. lpranal says:

I was in green bay earlier today, that 90 (it was 92 when i was there) doesn’t do it justice, its been so humid lately that you feel yourself sweat the second you step outside. not cool (no pun intended). but appleton, just 20 minutes south was about 8-10 degrees cooler , so the fact that chicago is cooler doesn’t surprise me.

Typically though, you really need to go way “up nort” to get away from the heat here sometimes.

Oh, and I know people who would literally crucify somebody for a favre joke like that.

12. Meg Marco says:

@lpranal: Go Bears.

13. thoughtfix says:

Psh. What I would give for a 90 degree day.
    Current temperature in ZIP code 85014: 109F

14. tcp100 says:

93 in Toronto!? Damn. Don’t Canadians melt at 85?

15. ironchef says:

I hope this spurs builders to make more energy efficient homes.

I never understood the logic why builders like to make dark color roofs, poorly insulated houses, and windows without heat protection and/or shade.

I got my house set up so it’s pretty comfortable without air conditioning. And I live in hot southern california.

16. dohtem says:

I recently began drinking sports drinks. Powerade and Vitamin Water are some good stuff. I need to go find cheap 24 packs to stock my fridge.

17. homerjay says:

@meghannmarco: Well, that shut ME up.

18. Dustbunny says:

It’s eighty-frigging-seven degrees in Portland right now. Feh. Hot weather makes me cranky.

19. VA_White says:

What did people do in 1810 when it was 90 outside? There weren’t any heat relief shelters then, were there?

It’s almost 6 pm and it’s 107. I would never live here without A/C but I know that people have lived in Arizona for hundreds of years with this heat. How did they do it?

20. TechnoDestructo says:

@VA_White:

Simple: They weren’t a bunch of goddamned pussies like the overwhelming majority of people alive in civilized countries today.

21. astrochimp says:

@billybastion: “what the fuck does this have to do with consumerist issues?

My guess is because having consumerist concerns requires you to not already be dead from heat stroke.

22. spanky says:

In dry climates, an evaporative (swamp) cooler can be an inexpensive and effective alternative to air conditioning.

Here in Colorado, we’ll have maybe one or two days a year that are too humid for the swamp cooler to be effective. We also move into the spare bedroom in the basement and have a couple of small room air conditioners for spot cooling.

23. markedward says:

@billybastion:

Just as much as if this were played on the loudspeakers throughout a school. It’s got nothing to do with education, yet you would consider it’s important nonetheless, right? Well, maybe the guys who run this website just came across a particular tidbit of information that the entire US is really flipping hot compared to what the averages temperatures have been the last few years and figured they’d put out some words of advice. How dreadful: people actually showing concern for their fellow people.

24. lpranal says:

@meghannmarco: now that was a funny joke

25. synergy says:

Growing up in Texas, it never ceased to amaze me that people were shocked when grandma turned up dead because she locked herself up in her house thinking keeping out the sun would make the house cooler. While that is vaguely true in that shaded rooms are cooler, locking yourself up is BAD! Open a damn window! I still need to drill this into my Canadian husband’s head.

Oh and my 66 year old mother has no air conditioning, only a super oscillating fan and she gets by just fine in 100+ degree weather without air conditioning.

Stomach cramps?? Seriously?? I’d shoot myself in the head if I didn’t drink cold or partly frozen water during the summers down here! I mean, maybe you need to work up to it, but the colder the water, the better! Oh and YES to the non-alcoholic! I just did this O_o a couple of months ago while my in-laws chugged down beers while they were down here visiting. Because they were hot and thirsty! *boggle*

26. synergy says:

@VA_White and @TechnoDestructo: LOL IAWTC!

I’m hoping Wisconsin will continue to melt. It’s nearly July and it was 87ºF in San Antonio at 6PM. Unheard of! I am LOVING IT!!! Now you all know how the Texans feel when the humongous “H” sits on top of the state’s weather map for 3 months straight and we stare longingly at the “L” sitting just north of us. It’s great to have it for a change! :D

27. VA_White says:

I live in Arizona. Our area of the desert is the tiny little piece of the country that is almost always the reddest color on the weather map all year round. We know from hot, let me tell you. A cool summer is one where we don’t break 115 and we think it’s a miracle if it drops below 100 at least one or two days from June – September.

You can keep your bugs and humidity, though. We don’t want them! :)

28. kpfeif says:

Tip: From mid-June to late August, it’s usually unbearably hot in Wisconsin. Thanks to the big “H” down in Texas, gulf moisture makes its way up here and parks over the state, making it a sticky, mosquito-infested hell for most of the summer.
    Ugh. Oh, and those from Texas who like to think it’s some paradise here, come up in January when it’s fucking 20 below zero. For weeks.

Wisconsin – we got it all.

29. Bryan Price says:

I’m currently taking TWO different water pills, Lasix (flurosemide) and Aldactone (spironolactone), and have been taking them for 7 years now. I have NEVER been told to watch out how much water I drink. If I drink more, I pee more. And living in Florida means I already know what hot weather is like. The humidity is quite low here, which feels better, but is a problem considering it causes fire concerns (red flag warnings).

30. Bryan Price says:

Hmmm. Blockquotes don’t look to good here, at least under Firefox

31. Melsky says:

@spanky:
    Totally agree. I miss the swamp cooler I had while living in the desert.

It spits out cool air, not freezing cold air like an air conditioner and it’s so cheap to run that you can keep it on all the time. It makes the house feel like a cool cave.

@VA_White: Sometimes they dropped dead from heatstroke.

32. LionelEHutz says:

I blame Clinton for the heat.

Oh, and in my house at least, sucking all the cool morning air into the house in the morning and shutting most of the windows until the evening keeps it at around 80 inside without AC. I do have newer low e glass windows though. The fans that I do have running in windows are running on exhaust.