Sprinklers Douse Travelers At LAX

A water pipe broke, dousing travelers and workers and causing an evacuation at Los Angeles International Airport Sunday. Fun! From CBS:

At the Southwest Airlines check-in counter, computers were covered in plastic. The baggage claim area on the lower level was cordoned off, and sawdust and puddles of water lined the floor.

Garbage cans and buckets were spread out in a large section of the baggage claim area, gathering water drops that continued to fall from ceiling tiles.

Soaked passengers missed flights and had to be completely rescreened after the evacuation. We think this was just a clever terrorist plot to get more than 3 oz of fluid past the TSA checkpoint. Obviously, they’ve become more sophisticated after the failure of the sippy cup plot. You win this time, terrorists. —MEGHANN MARCO

Sprinklers Douse People At LA Airport [CBS]
(Photo: Kenny Miller)

Comments

1. TWinter says:

And what’s the Consumerist angle here?

Things like water pipes break sometimes, it isnt’ a real Consumerist issue unless there was evidence of seriously shoddy workmanship or maintenance.

2. levenhopper says:

I think Consumerist is becoming a hybrid news/comsumer site now.

Not that I have a problem with it…

3. SaveMeJeebus says:

@TWinter: Umm… the maintenance workers wore Totenkopf t-shirts?

4. tcp100 says:

Um, file under “Shit Happens”?

Jeez. Big freaking deal.

Next big Consumerist story: crack in parking lot at Mall of America; fancypants wearing mandals stubs toe!

5. Hawkins says:

I see the Consumerist aspect as:

The Consumerist has cataloged a huge collection of indignities deliberately inflicted on the flying public by apparently sadistic airlines.

This is just icing on the cake. Or, if you prefer, high-pressure cold water on the schlub who’d just trying to get home to Dubuque.

I think it’s hilarious.

6. We think this was just a clever terrorist plot to get more than 3 oz of fluid past the TSA checkpoint.

This caused me to chuckle. Thank ya kindly!

7. SmoovyG says:

This doesn’t surprise me – LAX is the most run down airport I’ve been to in the last ten years, and the Southwest terminal is one of the worst maintained.

8. bnissan97 says:

I am sure this was just a way to handle the issue of the masses. “The person next to me with BO…”

9. Moosehawk says:

Damn terroists! Thur in ur airportz breakin ur pipez