4 Days Until "Juicy Raspberry!"

Emily from Houston brings us breaking news of the Starbucks raspberry syrup situation:

I went to Starbucks today and read their countdown message board – 4 days to raspberry mochas and frappa-wappa-who-whatsits.

When it was my turn to order, I asked if they had raspberry syrup. They said yes, and promptly whipped up a raspberry mocha for me without comment.

Of course, this was after spending about five minutes on the customer in front of me. She walked in and in this really desperate voice said, “Oh no, I don’t know anyone here! Where’s Kayla? Where’s Brian? They know how to make my drink.” It involved about six different ingredients and another ten or so specifications – two cups AND a sleeve, half an inch for cream, 127.436 degrees, etc.

I guess asking for raspberry syrup four days early wasn’t really that big of a request in comparison.

Andy quested and nearly died so people like Emily could get raspberry mochas ahead of release date. Be grateful. — BEN POPKEN

PREVIOUSLY:
Starbucks “Juicy Raspberry” Controversy Continues
Epic Battle For Raspberry Syrup Ends With Starbucks Apology And Gift Card

Comments

1. BillyShears says:

Man, I would’ve had no issue asking that lady to hurry the hell up. It’s Starbucks, not a salon.

2. visualbowler says:

i still can’t figure out what the big deal with the raspberry syrup is. In the grand scheme of things, we should be worrying about the genocide in darfur and our soldiers in Iraq, not raspberry syrup or whether we get the person who knows how to make our complicated drink at Starbucks.

3. The Walking Eye says:

@visualbowler: Then why are you commenting here? Go and save the people in Darfur instead of wasting time and energy on the computer.

Thank God our long national nightmare is finally over and I can get Juicy Raspberry!

4. VA_White says:

@visualbowler:

And yet here you are with us, taking time out of your busy day of world-saving humanitarian work to slap the hand of a poor soul just trying to get a goddamned coffee.

5. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Please tell me this isn’t going to drag on and on like the Wal-Mart Nazi T-Shirt saga.

@BillyShears: OMG, lady! The horror….some evil stranger will be making your coffee today! Two words: Cattle prod! Lady, move along, order your damn venti triple raspberry mocha cream half-caff espresso and let the rest of us get some coffee, too.

@visualbowler: My thoughts exactly, although…this being the Internet and all, the “Juicy Raspberry Tradgedy” doesn’t even come close to being the strangest or most petty thing people have ever obsessed over.

In fact, I think we need more chaos! Starbucks, I challenge you to stop using the present Hazelnut syrup and introduce new “Juicy Hazelnut Syrup!” Or just make a deal with Wal-Mart and start selling the Nazi T-shirts.

I’m mad, I tell you! Mwuhahahahaha!

6. synergy says:

Oh brother.

@dwayne_dibbly: IAWTC

7. Trai_Dep says:

I just finished watching an ep of Man vs Wild, where a former British special forces gent parachutes into the wilds of places that normal people become lion kibble or grotesque frozen statuary. This week’s episode: Kenya. Avoided snakes, lions, hippos. Couldn’t drink for a day, so he (ewwww!) squeezed a moist elephant dung pile for its moisture. Into his gaping mouth. While he drank it gratefully.

…Think that woman needs to take a field trip.

8. Crazytree says:

all the lactose-intolerant-flavored-latte-sipping-life-partners will be very pleased.

9. scoobydoo says:

Juicy Raspberry is the new iPhone.

10. HawkWolf says:

I don’t go to starbucks. I have something better to do with my money than spend it on over-powerful coffee and sugar. However, I sympathize with the “omfg lady just get a coffee” sentiment.

I was at a Wendy’s, and the people in front of me were this college-aged kid and his mom.

She was giving them *hell*. It took her about five minutes to carefully oversee every step of her order. “Are those fish filets fresh? They always make them fresh for me, they don’t let them sit around, blah blah blah blah.” You could see the hate thermometers going up on the people behind the counter. There’s absolutely no reason to expect a corporate fast-food franchise to do anything special for you at all, unless ‘special’ involves emitting bodily fluids into your food.

The clerk was seething at me when I got up to the counter, but calmed down in ten seconds when she realized I was just going to order by number and hand over my visa card. Then she actually sighed with relief and smiled.

11. shinyvandal says:

I don’t get what the big deal is. My local Barnes and Noble Cafe has been serving that syrup for at least two weeks now, probably longer than that. I don’t like raspberry flavoring, so I can’t say for sure.

When I worked for B&N, there was a woman who would order like that, but it always seemed like my bad luck that she would come on my break or my lunch. Luckily for me, I always ordered the same thing and had exact change, so at least when Miss Picky was finished, I could just pay and leave.

12. JPropaganda says:

Actually, my local Starbucks is still on the old raspberry syrup – they didn’t run out. Although the Barista told me she thought the Juicy Raspberry was too sweet. I almost asked if it would be coming “tout souite” but im not that big an asshole. Plus I don’t really know how to spell it,only say it.

13. TWinter says:

You know, this whole juicy raspberry ‘brewhaha’ :-) might actually be good for Starbucks.

I usually drink coffee with just a dash of half-n-half. I get a flavored milky coffee drink maybe two or three times a year. I rarely go to Starbucks because there are local places with better coffee. (I usually hit Starbucks when I’m traveling, because they are everywhere and the coffee is Ok if not great.) But now I want to try one of these damn raspberry things – never would have crossed my mind if I hadn’t read about it on here.

14. dantsea says:

Calls to mind a quote attributed to (but disowned by) George Carlin:

“The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshole. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a decaf grande half soy half low fat iced vanilla double shot gingerbread cappuccino extra dry light ice with one Sweet-n-Low and NutraSweet, ooh, you’re a huge asshole.”

15. CaptainSemantics says:

What’s unfortunate in all this commenting mess is that in the original thread attached to this story, people start lambasting Andy because he’s gay. They immediately being with harsh stereotypes that are very unfair.

Yeah, I thought that Andy was a bit long-winded in his approach; but everyone writes customer service complaints in different ways. He got the problem resolved, so why are we arguing over it?

And yes, Starbucks is overpriced and not as good and blah blah blah. Last time I checked, the whole issue was customer service. That is one of the main jists of this website, correct? If you have the money, you get to spend it however you want.

But what’s really turned me off to this site after reading that thread is how many readers on this site are quick to call him a flippant queer as if that’s still ok in today’s society. Shame on you, Consumerist readers, for helping perpetuate unfair stereotypes. Let the guy drink his coffee in peace.

16. Ben Popken says:

JD writes:

“Hi! I have been an avid reader of the consumerist for over a year now. So today I was at starbucks and decided if I could get the juicy rasberry mocha knowing I proabably would get turned down but thought it was worth a shot. When I asked if I could buy a drink with it the barista repiled “Sure, just don’t tell my boss”. I then patiently waited for my drink and the result was fantastic; definitely the best drink I had at a starbucks yet. So my advice is to just ask and hopefully you will get lucky.

Sidenote: I am writing this on my phone in starbucks, so I hope everything is spelled correctly.””

17. FromThisSoil says:

When I go to Starbucks, I usually just get a double espresso over ice and just add some milk at the do-it-yourself counter.

I was at the mall today, and after reading this article last night, decided to try and get a raspberry mocha latte. Well, I went over to the counter and nonchalantly asked for it. She rang it up and I was on my way.

The “barista” had to go over to the wall and look up the recipe posted. Two minutes later, I had it in hand. It was good, but too sweet for my taste.

I agree with the people above, it’s no big deal.

18. ZonzoMaster says:

Meh, i just like my water cold thanks.

19. kjherron says:

My wife and I went into a Starbucks today. I told her about the whole juicy raspberry controversy, and she was all set to order something with respberry syrup in it. It turned out they had a big bottle of raspberry syrup on hand. I was kinda disappointed.

I also told my wife about the “short” size that’s not on the menu, so she tried to order a short latte. The cashier responded “We don’t have short here, we have large” and pointed to a large cup. WTF?

(My wife immediately caved and asked for a large. I wasn’t ordering anything so I didn’t make a stink about it. But while the barista was making her drink, I pointed out to my wife that they did in fact have a stack of cups that were smaller than the large size.)

20. tcp100 says:

Wow, this dragged-out topic is so not important or interesting. Why all the inordinate attention to Juicy Raspberry, Consumerist? Jeez.

21. kbuechner says:

I work at Starbucks, and “Juicy Raspberry” is just replacing the old “Raspberry” syrup, which has been around forever. We’re supposed to use up the remaining stock of Raspberry before we switch over to “Juicy”, and our store made the started using it about a week ago. It’s called “Juicy Raspberry” because it’s made with 10% fruit juice, instead of just sugar and flavors.

So, no matter what, you can get a raspberry mocha, but it may be made with the old syrup, or it may be made with the new syrup. If you can see them make your drink, the new syrup is sort of magenta, and the old syrup is a dark red. They taste exactly the same, and there’s no difference in nutrition.

kjherron: there’s definitely a short size, but only for hot drinks. The person who told you it doesn’t exist is an idiot. Even if the store was out of the short cups, you can always get the short size drink in a larger cup. If you’re paying $4 for a latte, you might as well make sure you get exactly what you want.

22. mikyrok says:

I was just in a Starbucks yesterday in Boston, and saw that the “Juicy Raspberry” Syrup was not only in use, but the bottle was almost empty and they had another full one ready to replace it. I also consistantly see people all around the city with the drink. Is Boston cooler than Texas? (I mean it obviously is, but does Starbucks think so too)

23. amyjay says:

When I worked at a few different Starbucks, and the only syrups that actually made it to the one-month pull date and got tossed after opening was Almond and Raspberry. I actually found it to be rather disgusting, then again I love super-dry cappuccinos.

24. BiscuitDoughJones says:

Slightly off-topic here, but I pretty much skipped over Emily’s precious little two cents on the Juicy Raspberry Controversy the second I read the words “frappa-wappa-who-whatsits”.

Okay, I get it that Starbucks’ proclivity to rename the entire world of beverages grates people’s nerves. I don’t like it either. HOWEVER, it is equally uncute for anyone not living under a rock to pretend like they are not FULLY familiar with the Starbucks lexicon.

The company and it’s kooky little names for things has been around long enough that we don’t have to pretend to be uninitiated just so we’ll sound like one of the cool kids who eschews the froofy drinks for good ole drip coffee.
    Getting cute in response to S-Bux’s cute little names only makes you sound like some severely out of touch cheeseball who can probably identify with the comedic stylings of Larry the Cable Guy.

Pardon the rant, that is all.

25. Invisobel says:

@CaptainSemantics: Don’t you know… Homophobia, that last truly tolerated bigotry in this county.

26. palaste says:

I’m glad there are no Starbucks here. I much prefer places where people just ask for coffee and that’s it.

27. morganlh85 says:

Lol. I find this quite interesting, because I worked at a Starbucks, what, four years ago. They ALWAYS had raspberry syrup. ALWAYS. It just wasn’t advertised as a special drink. We made people raspberry mochas all the time, just without the special red topping and the jacked-up price (I’m sure).