Fake Toxic Colgate Still On Store Shelves

The Herald News of New Jersey conducted an informal survey of local dollar stores and found that 4 out of 9 were still selling fake Colgate toothpaste flavored with a toxic chemical more commonly found in antifreeze. The FDA reminds you:

The counterfeit toothpaste can be easily recognized because it is labeled as “Manufactured in South Africa.” Colgate does not import toothpaste into the United States from South Africa. In addition, the counterfeit packages examined so far have several misspellings including: “isclinically” “SOUTH AFRLCA” “South African Dental Assoxiation”.

Colgate did not manufacture the fake toothpaste and claims that the health risk of the counterfeit paste is minimal.

As with all recalls, you shouldn’t assume that just because the product is still on store shelves that it’s “OK.”

When a clerk at a dollar store that was still selling the toothpaste was questioned by the Herald News, she claimed to have heard about the recall, then stated: “They said it was from China or something,” she said, referring to news reports. “But when I checked, they weren’t from China.”—MEGHANN MARCO

Tainted toothpaste still in local stores [Herald News]
(Photo: tuppaware_01)

Comments

1. KenyG says:

I heard about this on this mornings news. My first thought was, finally. This counterfit toothpaste story has been out there for what, a week or more? – and this is the first I have heard of how to spot one. This should have been included int the initial story.

2. homerjay says:

My first thought when I read this headline was “Let me guess… Walmart??”

How unfortunate that walmart gets such a well deserved bad rap.

3. dbeahn says:

Showed up in SW Florida this weekend too – again, at dollar store type places.

4. mopar_man says:

@homerjay:

I was thinking Wal-Mart too.

5. TechnoDestructo says:

IS this toothpaste actually from South Africa…excuse me, South Afrlca? Or are the Chinese just trying to sneak past scrutiny?

6. flugangst says:

@TechnoDestructo: It’s not South African toothpaste but Chinese toothpaste labeled as being from South Africa. Apparently the trickery is working, judging by the response of the mind-blowingly dense dollar store employee quoted in the article.

Colgate does manufacture toothpaste in South Africa (I’ve got a tube of it in my bathroom now and it’s exactly the same as you’d get here in the US) but it is not exported here. Genuine South African Colgate should have the label in English and Afrikaans, another tipoff that that this South Afrlcan (sic) stuff is fake.

7. peachkellipop says:

While I’ve not seen one of these particular rogue tubes of Colagate, I’ve seen many random toiletries at “Ethnic” hair stores..i.e.stores ran by Asians catering to the black community (well at least here in NC before anyone freaks out)from fake MAC lipgloss to oodles of bleaching creams that seem pretty toxic.

I’ve bought toothpaste at the dollar store before & Big Lots assuming it was close-outs. I’m going to definitely check before I buy. I’d rather waste a dollar than have a mouthful of antifreeze.

8. shdwsclan says:

Hahah……i laugh at anyone who actually buys consumables at a dollar store….soon youll have birth control pills for $1.99. Its hilarious…..

Dollar stores……..the black man’s kmart….

9. pestie says:

@shdwsclan: Wow, you’re a classy one, aren’t you? I think you misspelled “klan.”

10. erica.blog says:

@flugangst: Colgate does manufacture toothpaste in South Africa… but it is not exported here. Genuine South African Colgate should have the label in English and Afrikaans, another tipoff that that this South Afrlcan (sic) stuff is fake.

Interesting! I bet the counterfeiters copied a few Colgate boxes, including one of the South African versions (otherwise, why the hell would it be made in South Africa?)…

Typos like this are the easiest way to notice counterfeits. When my father accidentally bought his granddaughter a kid’s DVD off eBay, we didn’t realize anything was wrong with it until (1) there was no FBI warning (“gosh, that’s a little odd!”), (2) the film credits on the box appeared to be for an Ice Cube gangsta movie, and there were lots of typos, (3) the disc itself was made from cheaper-than-usual material and smelled like something had died in a latrine.

11. Youthier says:

I’m actually giving the clerk credit, presuming that she received no instructions from a superior, corporate, or supplier. She went and checked the box and it said South Africa, not China. It’s not her responsibilty to know anymore until she receives instruction.