American Cancer Society Identifies Warning Symptoms For Ovarian Cancer

While this is arguably not at all a consumer issue, we do cover a lot of health issues and thought it would be helpful to do our part to get the word out: The American Cancer Society has agreed upon a list of symptoms that could serve as an early warning sign for ovarian cancer. The symptoms are:

• abdominal pain

• feeling full quickly when eating

• and feeling a frequent or urgent need to urinate.

Women who experience these symptoms nearly every day for two or three weeks should see a doctor. ABC News medical editor Dr. Tim Johnson says, “If you have all those symptoms together and they’re new, that’s another big clue,” he said. “If they’re new symptoms and they’re persistent, absolutely talk to your doctor.” —MEGHANN MARCO

Ovarian Cancer Symptoms Identified [ABC News]
(Photo: Wikipedia)

Comments

1. backspinner says:

Thank you for giving this some attention :)

2. This explains why I couldn’t find this when I tried to find the list of symptoms a few months ago.

3. shdwsclan says:

Oviarian cancer = women’s version of blue balls….

Either they are not beating the meat regularly which causes a dangerous buildup of hormones, or they are beating it too often, and sucking themselves dry…..

Sad but true….

4. pinkbunnyslippers says:

@shdwsclan: Wow – is that really true?

5. acambras says:

Meghann, I love the “keep me healthy” in the graphic. :-)

6. frowelishnu says:

@shdwsclan: I’m really hoping you don’t actually believe this and are just tragically unfunny.
    Comparing a lethal condition to a frat boy excuse for release is beyond the pale.
    The fact that someone almost believed you is worse.

7. frowelishnu says:

Ok, I just reviewed shdwsclan’s comments and feel like I’ve lost a piece of myself permanently (most likely my lunch).
    Some people have knack for making you sick.
    I think I understand why “clan” is part of the username.
    I don’t want to get worked up too much, but I almost lost my mother to cervical cancer.

8. pestie says:

@frowelishnu: He’s clearly a troll. He’ll probably be banned shortly.

9. protest says:

i take cancer very seriously, and while i appreciate the ACS’s efforts to provide some early warning clues, these symptoms are very broad and vague. example: these are also the symptoms of a urinary tract infection.

p.s. shdwsclan, i hope you get testicular cancer.

10. acambras says:

@pestie:
    @protest:

That asshat’s been banned. If you click on his name and go to his comments page, it says “banned since 6/18/07.” I only wish his “execution” had been more public.

Don’t read his comments on other posts unless you go for idiotic, hateful, racist rants.

11. pearlandopal says:

Thank you for posting this! As you said, it’s not strictly a consumer issue, but it’s still an issue that affects half the world.

12. Jane56 says:

As one who is dealing with ovarian cancer, trust me, these are VERY real signs – only I ignored them and in six months after visiting my obgyn, I had stage 3 ovarian cancer. I had excessive heartburn, bloating, feeling full, and my belly get getting bigger and bigger – when I was hospitalized, 2 liters – yes that’s right of fluid was drained from my abdomen. WOMEN KNOW YOU BODY! Don’t let docs discourage you either – get a CA-125 (tumor marker test of oc) and a vaginal ultrasound. MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF YOU SUSPECT YOU HAVE OC – GET TO A ONCOLOGIST/GYNECOLOGIST – not your regular obgyn – they aren’t specialized enough to cure you!

25,000 women die for this disease a year – we’ve got to get the word out.