Recall Round-Up: The Toy Is Full Of Kerosene And Other Adventures

Let’s see what China has for us! Here are the choking/poisoning product recalls for the first two weeks of June:

Children’s Jeweled Sandals Sold by Nordstrom Recalled Due to Choking Hazard

The jewel decorations on the shoes can detach, posing a choking hazard to young children. Units: About 1,800 Manufactured in: China

Choking Hazard Prompts Nordstrom Recall of Children’s Jackets
The zipper pull can detach from the jacket’s zipper, posing a choking hazard to young children. Units: About 1,900 Manufactured in: China

Silver Stud Earrings Sold Exclusively at Kmart Recalled by Crimzon Rose Accessories Due to Lead Poisoning Hazard
The recalled earrings contain high levels of lead. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effects.Units: About 5,300 Manufactured in: China

Personalized Infant Long Johns Recalled by Personal Creations Due to Choking Hazard
The metal snaps on the long johns can loosen and detach, posing a choking hazard to young children. Units: About 5,500 Manufactured in: China

Gemmy Industries Corp. Recalls Flashing Eyeball Toys Due to Chemical Hazard
The plastic eyeball contains kerosene, which if broken, presents a chemical hazard to children. Units: About 500 Manufactured in: China

Simplicity Recalls Cribs Due to Fall, Entrapment and Choking Hazards
The assembly instructions provided with the cribs incorrectly instruct consumers how to attach the crib’s drop side. If improperly installed, the drop side can disengage from the crib, posing fall and entrapment hazards for the child. Additionally, the metal locking pins on the drop side can pop off, presenting a choking hazard. Units: About 40,000 Manufactured in: China

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Oh I like this. You should make this a weekly thing.

2. MeOhMy says:

Interesting…I thought those plastic eyeballs/spherical compasses pretty much always contained kerosene.

3. camas22 says:

is the consumerist banned in china yet? i’d love to see a screen cap of the site blocked or not showing up on yahoo china.

4. Kos says:

Not to defend China, but what isn’t made in China nowadays? Besides maybe Ikea furniture.

5. Chicago7 says:

Why kerosene? That seems wrong.

We seem to be banning an awful lot of Chinese products lately. Is this how Bush is going to reduce the trade deficit?

6. FINANCE101 says:

Where would a normal non-consumerist reader find out about this stuff? I am sure that 99% of the products involved in these recalls are never returned.

7. ShadeWalker says:

i’m quite torn on whether this is informative or just drumming up more xenophobia.

8. sum0belly says:

I can’t play with my eyeballs now !!! This consumer world is all messed up.

9. kris in seattle says:

I have a sudden fear of shopping now. Kerosene?! Seriously.

10. alpha says:

you know, I can forgive all the others…but how could it possibly be a good idea to use kerosene in a toy?

11. bcostin says:

Well it says right on the package that it’s an “EVIL EYE”. What do you expect it to be filled with? Rose water? Seriously, is kerosene so cheap in China that they use it in toys?

The other “choking hazard” items are the sorts of things that have happened forever to many manufacturers, no matter country they’re in, and the standards tend to be awfully arbitrary.

12. nan says:

Oh no! My papa is Chinese! Is there a website that will tell me if he is poisonous and got recalled??

13. Trai_Dep says:

You know, at least Imperial Japan had the decency to declare war on us after trying to kill Americans. Eventually.

14. thejbs says:

article in the NYT today about lead paint recall for a bunch of “Thomas the tank engine” toys.

15. Brad2723 says:

I would like to see The Consumerist do an experiment: How to survive for a month without buying anything made in China. If that is even possible. The subject of this experiment would be required to buy food (including toilettries), clothes, shoes, and toys.

Next time you go shopping, look at all of the labels. You’d probably be surprised to see how much is made in China. Than again, the people reading this probably already know what to expect.

16. erica.blog says:

@Brad2723: It’s possible, but exceedingly difficult. I manage to minimize such purchases, that’s about it. But of course, I’ve got relatives who insist on buying cheap crap like Evil Eyes, pretend jewelry, various other garbage toys for the kids… my daughter was recently given a horribly cheap, stupid looking baby doll (complete with a bathtub, towel, plastic soap) by her grandmother, and I would be the evil harpy from hell if I tried to take the thing away from her.

There’s plenty of benefits to shopping like I do, but it takes effort and involves a lot of frustration. And I still can’t get away from lead, kerosene, or antifreeze if the rest of the family doesn’t bother to get in line.

17. njtrout says:

Where are the corporate buyers for these products/stores. Why are they not held accountable for what they bring into market in the US. You would think with all the problems, there would be some sort of safety check built into the buying system. I guess we need a MSDS (Materal Safety Data Sheet) for everything.

NJTrout