Personal Finance Roundup

Retire at 40: Here’s how [MSN Money] “Take 20% of your gross income every month, invest it in a balanced index fund and leave it there, then retire 20 years later with enough for a lifetime.”

How Movie Theaters Make Money [Five Cent Nickel] “Owners joke about being in the candy business. If you didn’t have concessions at a movie theater, there would be no movie theater. We have movies just to get people in to buy popcorn and candy, where we make our money.”

Why You’re Likely To Be In A Higher Tax Bracket When You Retire [Saving Advice] “For many of us the odds are that our income tax rate will actually be higher in retirement.”

Father’s Day Ideas for Younger Kids [A Momma and the Boys Living on a Budget] “Father’s Day is almost here. I know my kids are trying to think of some ideas on what to get Dad. Here are some ideas for younger kids.”

How Can I Quell Jitters During Job Interviews? [CareerJournal] “I left my company three years ago and now I need to find a new job. The problem is that I become overwhelmed with anxiety during interviews and I miss what’s being said. What can I do?”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

(Photo: jenn_jenn)

Comments

1. Crazytree says:

Ah the old Roth IRA vs. Traditional IRA dilemma.

2. MissPinkKate says:

You quote the first article as talking about a “balanced” fund, but Vanguard’s S&P 500 index is an equity-only fund. Balanced generally means stocks + bonds.

3. AuntieFreeze says:

I worked as a movie theatre cashier part-time during college. It is absolutely true that the movie studios keep most of the actual ticket money. In fact, they would send their auditors to stand beside us while we sold tickets, checking the machines to ensure we weren’t cheating them! The candy stand is where the movie theatre’s profit is really made. You know, the $4.00 5-ounce box of Sno-Caps! It’s the same principle as restaurants making most of their profits on liquor, not the food.

4. RocketDog says:

The MSN Money article makes a mistake: “Since you’re planning on retiring so young, [your savings] will have to be placed into a non-tax-sheltered investment account, which is fine if you invest it right.” This is only partially correct. Some of the annual savings could be placed in a tax sheltered account (especially a 401K with a company match), and the rest could be in a non-tax sheltered account. When this super-saver retires at 40 years old, live off the non-tax favored account and let the tax favored account grow untouched as long as possible, but at least until he reaches 55 years old when no tax penalty is due on withdrawals.

The article also does not address social security, which would not be available to him until after the first 20-ish years of his retirement.

5. yalej says:

The problem with the first story is that it assumes all consumer goods & services rise at the rate of inflation. This is patently untrue for things like real estate & health care. Although I suppose if you don’t move from the time you’re 40 and never get sick, you might be ok.

6. Trai_Dep says:

The thing that puzzled the Hell out of me regarding movie concessions is, if they’re so vital to movie house profits, why did they make them inedible? Popcorn in particular. Went from fresh popped to bagged, from butter, to fake-butter, to yellow-grease they splooge on the corn. Finally it involves them throwing you a bag of dry, over-salted popcorn and pointing you to a dirty table littered with spilled condiments and grease where a spigot gushers the yellow-grease crap. Yum! Appetizing!

You’d *think* that if it was their cash cow, they’d, you know, make the stuff appealing.

(In case you’ve figured out, haven’t ordered movie concessions for many, many years, tho I gleefully sneak in my own in revenge)