Meet Your Meat: Chipotle Distributes Photos Of Farms That Supply Their Restaurants

An angry reader wrote us yesterday asking if the photos he’s been finding in his bag along with his Chipotle veggie burrito were legit. Matt wrote:

Last time I got the pigs out on the plains of super green grass (Grass won’t last more than a day under pigs). Today was a lone adult chicken in an otherwise empty commercial coop, perfectly clean bird, on a perfectly clean floor. I know for fact chickens don’t get moved from the time they are chicks, until the vacuum machine comes to box them for transport to the slaughter house. So where is all the bird shit and carcasses that succumbed to walking on the ammonia soaked floor?

This green-washing portrayal is so unrealistic, its possibly criminal. I’ll keep an eye out for the ‘happy frolicking cattle’ one.

We asked Chipotle where they got these bucolic photos of chickens and pigs, and they responded. The photos of happy chickens and pigs are, in fact, from farms that supply Chipotle. Read Chipotle’s response inside.

Chris from Chipotle writes:

Meghann -

It’s a sad state of affairs when someone sees images of animals that are raised right and automatically assumes they are misleading, though many in our industry have provided ample reason for such an impression.

In our case, there’s nothing misleading about the pig and chicken images you’ve mentioned (we also use images of beef cattle in that series). All of these images are from farms that supply our naturally raised meat – meat that comes from animals that are fed a pure vegetarian diet, never given hormones or antibiotics, and raised in a humane way. In all, Chipotle serves more naturally raised meat than any restaurant in the world, including 100% of our pork, about two-thirds of our chicken and nearly half of our beef. Under a philosophy we call “Food With Integrity,” we’ve been working hard to improve the quality of the ingredients we use in our food and the progress we’ve made sourcing naturally raised meat is the most visible manifestation of our progress, but it doesn’t end there. We’ve been working to source organically grown beans and buy more and more each year as the supply increases (this year, 25% of all of our beans are organically grown), and most recently we worked with our sour cream supplier to be sure all of the milk that’s used to make it comes from cows that aren’t treated with the synthetic hormone rBGH.

If there’s anything more you need on this, please let me know. Otherwise, I hope you’ll share this info with your reader. Their skepticism is certainly understandable, but in this case, I hope they’ll be pleased to learn that it’s unfounded.

Best…

Chris

Chris, what were you thinking!? The pigs are so cute, it makes you not want to eat them. Oh well, we love carnitas. Sorry, pigs. —MEGHANN MARCO

(Photo: Chipotle)

Comments

1. ptkdude says:

Actually, I met my meat when I was about 12.

2. A simple address of a supplier + google maps will probs give you some answers.

3. rbf2000 says:

Oh man, now I have to go to Chipotle for lunch. I eat there far too often as it is.

4. Falconfire says:

I actually think its legit. While the major cooperate farms ARE as Matt said, disgusting places (meet where your supermarket and burger joint meat comes from) there are still a large number of smaller clean family run operations out there that get a horrible rep thanks to poor reporters and sensationalistic media.

The upside of this is they are also much better maintained and eco friendly. Corporate run pig farms are a ecological disaster thats destroying the south.

5. markwm says:

The OP may “know for fact chickens don’t get moved from the time they are chicks, until the vacuum machine comes to box them for transport to the slaughter house.” about farms in his area, but that doesn’t mean all farms run that way. I have several friends who raise chickens, turkeys, or hogs, and none of their farms are as he described.
    As far as “Last time I got the pigs out on the plains of super green grass (Grass won’t last more than a day under pigs).” That picture looks a lot like I remember from my childhood the field looking when dad raised pigs. If you look at the photo, the grass is indeed rutted in places, where the pigs had been rooting. However, grass lasted for quite some time when dad raised hogs, except in the pens where they were constantly trampling, where the feed troughs were, or under trees. However, all the surrounding land was quite grassy.
    Does every single thing done by business have to be seen as an affront to consumers everywhere? Is it really necessary to walk into businesses with chips on our shoulders and take offense at the most trivial of things, such as pictures?

6. aixwiz says:

Meghann,
    Why don’t you find out if there are any farms in your area that Chipotle buys from and pay a surprise visit? A little investigative reporting never hurts.

7. Youthier says:

Wouldn’t this backfire? After I see the happy little piggy, I don’t really want to eat pork.

8. Falconfire says:

@missbrooke06: shits good eating.

Actually as a off topic response to this, in high school one of my bio labs dealt with dissecting a dead pig fetus. My teacher, ever the senstive one, went out of her way to make it a “special event”

We watched Babe, while she went around with a mechanical pig on the desk.

I loved that class. Shes actually a principle now in the district.

9. not_seth_brundle says:

Disclosure: I am a vegetarian.

I think this is legit. Chipotle actually has made at least some effort to source pork from Niman Ranch and chicken that is at least antibiotic-free. That said, there’s a problem of scale here. The more meat Chipotle (or any other place) requires, the more difficult it will be for the suppliers to keep giving their animals a reasonable amount of space.

Also, I can’t blame Matt for being annoyed to find pro-slaughter propaganda in the bag with his veggie burrito.

10. bkaid says:

Meghann,

Since only 50% of the beef is natural, if you are the one in two customer that gets the beef from the cow that was raised in a torture prison in a 4th world country, do they give you a picture that reflects that?

11. I adore Chipotle — it’s excellent food that’s always fresh. The slight premium paid is well worth it.

12. kpfeif says:

This whole American Gothic-ish “family farm” idea is always amusing to me. It’s a rare situation in which ma and pa and the ten kids tend the field, milk/feed the cows, etc., out of the little farmhouse next to the red barn. Sure, they still exist, but understand that many family farms STILL are family farms, yet are still GIANT automated and industrialized farms, run like the “corporate farms” that so many people like to hate. Trust me – I live close to both types of farms.

Oh yeah – Barbacoa beef burrito, please. Black. Hot salsa.

13. gondaba says:

I like how they say 100%, 2/3rds, and then finally 50% — so the other half of the beef comes from the horribly inhumane places.

14. gamble says:

@missbrooke06: Ha, don’t you see? That’s the plan. It’s too late once you see the pictures; you’ve already purchased your meat-filled burrito. Now, if all goes according to plan, you’ll be so disgusted that you’ll throw it away and go buy a vegetarian burrito. They just doubled a sale. It’s genius.

15. TedSez says:

I’m glad they’re trying to be animal-friendly, but this really is k

16. bkaid says:

I bet some tree huggers will complain that they are killing the environment by printing these pictures to include with the bag.

17. ancientsociety says:

THe OP needs to chill a little. How does he know for a fact that pig farms don’t have green grass? Actually, if you look at the grass, you can tell it’s been rutted. If the pigs have enough space, they won’t wear down the grass and vegetation as quickly.
    Also, if you have free range chickens, they spend most of their time outdoors and, if the coop is kept clean, it’s usually very nice (as pictured).

@not_seth_bundle: “pro-slaughter propaganda”?

Please, can we leave the vegetarian holier-than-thou attitude out of this conversation?

18. TedSez says:

kind of reminiscent of the old “Saturday Night Live” commercial for Cluckin’ Chicken restaurants, whose mascot was the bird you were about to eat (“Mmm! I’m delicious!”).

19. dbeahn says:

I love angry vegan hippies. All that pissing and moaning couched in the “live and let live” crap…

20. bringafajita says:

It sounds to me like Matt got totally brainwashed by the PETA machine. Saying, “So where is all the bird shit and carcasses that succumbed to walking on the ammonia soaked floor?” just reeks of propagandized information.

As a side note, why so angry Matt?

21. not_seth_brundle says:

@ancientsociety: No, we can’t. If you order a veggie burrito, there’s a good chance you’re a vegetarian, and finding a brochure in the bag that tries to make you switch to meat instead is a pretty aggressive move.

22. jeff303 says:

Sorry Chipotle, but “vegetarian fed” is not the same as “naturally raised” with regard to beef. Most commericial beef these days is fed corn for part of if not the entire life of the cow. This is not a natural thing for cows to eat, and it results in lower quality but cheaper meat. The only “natural” way to raise beef is by feeding it grass its whole life. Sources of grassfed beef are difficult to find but they do exist.

23. ahwannabe says:

Bacon tastes goooooood. Pork chops taste gooooooood.

The pig is a maaaaaaaagical animal.

24. myrall says:

And the REALLY bizarre thing is that Chipotle is owned by McDonald’s.

25. camas22 says:

the “food with integrity” slogan is interesting in that it only makes direct claims about ingredient sourcing, but has pretty vague positive connotations. i don’t know if a 1,200 calorie burrito has integrity or not.

@not.. I don’t think there’s a problem of scale. The more demand for humane meat the more farms will be converted to this higher profit margin good. It’s in companies best interests to do then do sourcing audits and protect their brand.

26. clodia says:

That’s it, next time I see a Chipotle, I’m trying it. This is awesome, assuming they’re not horrible horrible liars.

27. iMike says:

If this is really true, I want to go work for Chipotle.

And not as a burrito jockey.

28. camas22 says:

@Myrall: McDonald’s divested their interest before Chipotle went public years ago.

29. not_seth_brundle says:

@camas22: I hope you’re right. The problem is that raising livestock more humanely requires a lot more physical space, among other things. For a farm with large-scale production, that would require either expanding its land or scaling back production.

Cf. Horizon Organic, the “organic” factory farm.

30. VA_White says:

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

I’m all for it.

Most people are not vegetarians. Most people are starting to care a little bit more about where their meat is coming from. Chipotle is answering the question before they ask it.

31. ancientsociety says:

@not_seth_bundle: Trying to MAKE you switch to eating meat by including pictures of sourced farms!?

LOL. Wow, are you militant vegans that weak-willed that a simple picture could make you change your eating habits? That’s quite sad.

Chipotle is FORCING anyone to eat meat. What they’re doing is getting their customers (most who probably would never do so) to think about where their food comes from. Isn’t that what you militant vegans want – that Americans are aware of how their food is processed?

I guess not if it’s not officially sponsored PETA propaganda. You people hurt the slow food and organic movements just as much as the multinational factory farms.

32. cnc1019 says:

@not_seth_brundle: Pictures of animals at farms is not trying to convert you to eating meat. Pictures of fresh cooked meat filled burritos would be trying to get you to buy/eat meat. The pictures of the farms are actually a nice middle ground showing that while they do produce delicious meat products, at least the animals are not subjected to a “hard life”.

33. SadFootSign says:

@Veggie-Complainers

After being a vegetarian for four years you start to realize how much of a “Eat meat or you’re a freak” attitude is out there. Yeah vegetarian’s have their obnoxious PETA people-eaters. But I swear if one more person waves a hamburger in my face and says “Don’t you miiiiiiisssss meeeeeat” I will deck them.

34. not_seth_brundle says:

@ancientsociety: I’m not any kind of vegan, much less a militant one. In fact, if you’ll reread my whole original comment, this time without all the prejudgment and anger, I think you’ll find it fairly balanced. It boils down to: Yes, Chipotle is an improvement over a lot of places despite the fact that it serves up a lot of meat (a position a “militant vegan” would never take), and Yes, at the same time I can understand why a vegetarian would be annoyed to be given a flyer promoting meat products.

35. @not_seth_brundle: I just don’t get how pictures of the live animals are supposed to get a vegetarian to eat meat. It doesn’t make sense.

Isn’t it more likely that the pictures end up in all the bags, not just the ones with the veggie in them? I think they just don’t bother leaving the pictures out of those bags because a) it’s easier and b) not eveyone buying a veggie burrito is a vegetarian.

36. ancientsociety says:

@not_seth_brundle: Okay, I could understand you taking the middle ground…right up until you mentioned the “pro-slaughter propaganda” and then went on to say that Chipotle is somehow forcing the OP to eat meat.

Both of those statements are, frankly, a little silly and don’t jibe with your supposed “middle-ground” approach.

37. slapstick says:

I eat meat and I got a veggie quesadilla when I went out for dinner the other night. Chances are these are thrown in with every bag, and the guy tossing your food in the bag is just doing what he’s supposed to.

I swear, people look for any reason to get offended. When someone hands me a flyer on the street for a church event, I don’t shriek at them that I’m not Christian so how dare they give me a flyer – I just toss it and go on my merry way.

38. notlazyjustdontcare says:

@bkaid: I’m wondering about your “fourth world” comment. Are you saying that cheap beef is imported? Where is it cheaper to raise beef than in the US-of-subsidized-corn?

39. Art Vandelay says:

Interesting pictures. I’m glad they’re moving away from anti-biotic, hormone filled meat.

That being said, a Chipotle burrito has nothing on a monster from Freebird’s.

40. homerjay says:

God help us all if it turns out they’re owned by DS-MAX.

41. MeOhMy says:

@not_seth_brundle:

You’re absolutely right – in order to give “equal time” they ought to also hand out flowers showing the happy little ears of corn and the gaily cavorting pinto beans in the fields. And the chipotle peppers being slowly and painfully smoked.

Kidding aside…the squeaky wheels gets the grease. There’s a lot more complaining/concern about poor livestock farming than poor vegetable farming. The intent of the campaign is not to cast aspersions on vegetarians; it’s to try and convince omnivores that the meat is being raised in good conditions.

Anyone who interprets a statement of “We treat our animals nicely” as “You should be eating meat” has got some soul-searching to do.

Anyone who takes these pictures at face value and believes that they can walk onto this farm unannounced and find sterile, pleasant conditions also has some soul-searching to do. These chicken coops may be cleaner than your average chicken coops, but it’s also expected that they are only showing the pictures that portray the operations in the best light possible. So, of course they got the nicest looking chicken, cleaned her up good, set up a clean staging area in the coop, used a shallow depth of field so that you really can’t see the background, etc.

42. LTS! says:

Won’t someone please think of the tomatos? They are living creatures too!

If only Chipotle was around here.. so for now I subsist on Moe’s Southwest Grill.

43. b612markt says:

I eat meat all the time, but my boyfriend is vegetarian and a few of my friends are vegan. I think they should get another photo of happy beans or lettuce or something and put that in the bag of when a vegetarian/vegan orders at chipotle.

I have no problem looking at a photo of the pig I’m eating (i LOVE carnitas, but barbacoa is good too) at Chipotle, but I can see how a vegan wouldn’t want to see the happy piggy destined for death and consumption.

I love Chipotle so very very much. I tried to resist the whole “chain” aspect of it since in Chicago there are so many mom & pop burrito places, but when I’m downtown I head straigth for Chipotle.

ps – You can get extra chopped cilantro if you ask for it – secret menu item!

44. MandM813 says:

@homerjay:
    LOL, wouldnt that be awesome? Think of all the funny emails from Richard Shapiro that we would get to read…

45. infinitysnake says:

I adore chipotle (I’m veggie), but I’ve always found it a bit of a gas that they’re so smug about their animal husbandry, given that they’re owned by Mcdonald’s, who won’t be showing off THEIR farms anytime soon.

46. HawkWolf says:

re vegans being offended: if you choose to life your life a (not very common) certain way, do not be startled when you encounter something offensive to your sensibilities while eating at a restaurant that serves meat. For that matter, if you are a vegan, why are you eating at chipotle? Don’t you want to eat food that was prepared on a surface that hasn’t touched meat multiple times, with only some clorox in between?

You can see them preparing meat, meat is all over the menu, other people are ordering meat, you can see them ordering meat, and you get mad seeing a picture of a pig in your food bag?

re pictures of cute furry animals: Zingerman’s Roadhouse in Ann Arbor, MI is a very expensive restaurant that serves Zingerman’s-quality boutique foods. The whole place is full of posters telling you that your 16 dollar plate of macaroni and cheese is made of cheese from the left nipple of a cow named Gertrude, and that Ol’ Gertie is from a farm in a little valley in some sunny part of California where cows smile and rainbows erupt from the ground, or something.

unfortunately, a 16 dollar plate of macaroni and cheese is a 16 dollar plate of macaroni and cheese, no matter how organically and small-farm you slice it.

note: I am somewhat sarcastic.

47. infinitysnake says:

@SadFootSign: I hear you. There’s always the defensive comments about “preachy vegetarians” if you happen to just mention it, followed by the inevitable ass who thinks he’s the first ever to make the “tasty animals” or “made of meat” cracks, and most of the time, somebody has to wave their portion under your nose, as if the temptation will be so great you’ll snatch a bite anyhow.

48. royal72 says:

(take this with as much sarcasm as needed)

“It’s a sad state of affairs when someone sees images of animals that are raised right and automatically assumes they are misleading,”

well chris, that’s exactly why we don’t believe you. from your website:

“When you order naturally raised beef at Chipotle, here is what you are getting (and not getting):
    · No added growth hormones, ever.
    · No antibiotics, ever.
    · Vegetarian feed with no animal by-products.”

…but then you state:

“In all, Chipotle serves more naturally raised meat than any restaurant in the world, including 100% of our pork, about two-thirds of our chicken and nearly half of our beef.”

so you guarantee that none of the cattle that came from other than organic farms, do not have a single hormone, antibiotic, nor animal by-product? the bottom line is, “it’s a sad state of affairs”, because everyone lies and spins their pr crap. if you’re gonna be honest then post disclaimers on the photos like “you got about a 50/50 shot at eating the nice looking cow in the picture”… on that note, i’m a gambling man, so i i’ll try your food today and hopefully get a fully organic cow for lunch.

49. GrandmaSophie says:

Chipotle’s effort is sincere. I’ve met Joel Salatin, of Polyface Farm. At a recent lecture, he talked about flying out to meet with the CEO of Chipotle about finding ways to source truly ethical meat. It’s a tough order – finding meat consistently in every market where Chipotle has a store. It’s obvious that they’re phasing this in as they line up resources. But I don’t doubt the sincerity of their effort, and I applaud it. This is coming from a highly cynical person who doesn’t trust the motivation of any business. But I trust Joel Salatin, and if he felt they were sincere (and he was part of the effort), I believe him.

50. VA_White says:

MCDONALDS DOES NOT OWN CHIPOTLE ANYMORE.

In case anyone missed that. Chipotle = good food, ethical business practices.

This did not jive with McD’s philosophy of cheap crappy food as fast as possible. McD’s sold off their interest in Chipotle a long time ago.

Try to keep up, ok?

51. Peeved Guy says:

@Troy F.:

…gaily cavorting pinto beans…

Oh noes! I would never go to Chipotle again! I do NOT want my children exposed to bean pr0n!

52. infinitysnake says:

@bringafajita: You’ve obviously never been to a pig farm…or downwind from one…or flown over one…

53. Ben Popken says:

Wilbur?

54. non-meat-stick says:

Marketing is meant to make you believe what they want you to…provide me a list of these “farms” and their addresses and I’ll go check them out myself.

Notice how Chipotle won’t post their nutritional info online or in the store? What up with that?

55. TheSlate says:

Oh noes, a vegetarian got a flier about meats!

Personally, those pictures make me hungry. Mmmm… ethically farmed chicken fajita burrito.

56. nighthwk1 says:

Another vote for Freebirds burritos. Chipotle’s meat is flavorless… as if it were boiled instead of barbecued. More customization options at Freebirds as well.

But it’s good to learn that Chipotle is no longer owned by McD’s.

57. Bye says:

I hear a lot of whining about “militant vegans” and other such nonsense on this thread and I’m annoyed to no end.

Just because somebody says “pro-slaughter”, he gets branded a militant vegan? Or a PETA-member?

I do not eat animals but will drink their milk and eat their eggs. I do not judge people who do eat meat although I do like to see those people who do take a more active role in understanding where their meat has come from.

Slaughtering is what is done to any animal that is ultimately eaten. They don’t lay down in a bed of flowers while fluffy bunnies hop them to death.

If you don’t like the terminology, that’s your problem. Don’t push your anger on somebody who knows to call a spade a spade.

With apologies to Dorothy Parker, eating meat isn’t necessarily normal, it’s just common.

58. Wormfather says:

Seriously, pigs, cows and chickens are here for my pleaure. So what if only half of them are having a happy life, hell, I’d rather be one of the ones living in a hell, those pigs are the ones that embrace the sweet freedom of death.

Better than being a happy cow, chilling one day and “ooooh, what’s this conveyor belt doing here?…oh, no, no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”

59. Bye says:

Wormfather, if you think pigs and cows are here solely for your pleasure, check out the new documentary _Zoo_ – it sounds like it’d be right up your alley.

60. latrevo says:

@jeff303: I wouldn’t be so quick to say that 100% grass fed cattle is the best. You’ll find some angry midwestern farmers that disagree. I’m no expert (other than at eating it) but I believe many farmers use a combo of grass and grain/corn, as the corn helps fatten the cattle and encourage marbling. Just my $.02

61. ancientsociety says:

@Rey: “Just because somebody says “pro-slaughter”, he gets branded a militant vegan?”

No, read his statement. He said “pro-slaughter PROPAGANDA”. In my experience in the slow food movement, everytime I hear someone preface their statements with “I’m a vegetarian” and then launching into a diatribe against how the world is FORCING them to eat meat, is a militant vegan, PETA supporter, or just someone who wants to shove their “clean living, no meat” stance down others throats.

We all know animals are slaughtered. No one had a problem with that. In fact, Chipotle’s pictures are a good thing – they’ll (hopefully) help a lot of consumers THINK about where their food comes from and the sacrifices that must be made for that food – not just by animals but farmers, ranchers, butchers, etc.

I think a lot of people have a problem with militant vegans because, not only are they ALWAYS attempting to force their viewpoint upon others, but because they ultimately hurt the very very movements that they supposedly agree with – openness about food production, education abotu safe farming for the general public, etc.

62. MeOhMy says:

@Rey: If you were reading closely you would see the ire comes from the perception of the picture representing “pro-slaughter” propaganda. In other words, some sort of surreptitious bit of carni-vangelism to try and convince vegetarians they should be eating meat, which all I can say is…come on, now.

63. jurgis says:

@b612markt: It’s funny, because (being from CO where Chipotle started) ten years ago Chipotle was just a local place.

64. mermaidshoes says:

all i want when it comes to chipotle is for people to stop pronounding it “chipolte.” for the love of god, it’s not that hard. just read the sign: the t comes first.

65. myrall says:

Hey kids, no need to get nasty – McDonald’s only divested LAST YEAR. Sincerest apologies for not ‘keeping up’.

66. Shadowman615 says:

Bah. So some angry veggie-burrito eater wants to spread unfounded rumors and consumerist.com is willing to provide a platform. Sorry, this is not news — just a speculative rant. Very nice response from Chipotle, by the way.

67. jeff303 says:

@latrevo:

And I can find “angry” farmers who disagree with those farmers. The “marbling” (i.e. excess fat) and general taste may be better (that is of course a matter of personal preference), but we must be prepared to accept the consequences of raising the beef in an unnatural way, the decreased nutritional value in particular (more total fat, less omega 3, etc.)

68. spanky says:

Disclaimer: We lived just down the street from the original Chipotle when it first opened, so I love them a little extra just for being my homies.

I was as nervous as anyone when McDonald’s bought into it. But they somehow managed to stay good through that period. Now that they’re larger and more influential (and as others have pointed out, no longer owned by McD), they are in a position to create a workable model of a large, ethical, but still profitable business.

They really do seem to be the good guys. They support sustainable farming, sustainable architecture, and public radio, and their burritos are really really good.

69. Voyou_Charmant says:

Too bad the closest one is upwards of 100 miles away from me.

70. elf6c says:

Chipotle tastes good, and they try to do good. Nice combination.

Eat there one a week.

mmm, burritos!

71. aiken says:

“An angry reader…”

The adjective “angry” is redundant. This is Consumerist, after all. As far as I can tell, readers start at “angry” and range from there to “apoplectic”. A merely angry reader is the like a zen monk around here.

@royal72 (and thanks for illustrating my previous point so clearly):

Your anger seems to come from confusing “natural” with “no hormones, no antibiotics.” People less fetishistic about being angry will realize that 100% of the beef can be without hormones or antibiotics while only 50% counts as naturally raised. The former is a subset of the later. That is, not all no-hormones, no-antibiotics beef counts as “natural.” What they’re saying is that they have achieved 100% of the former, but have only gotten to 50% on the latter.

72. bradite says:

There is nothin mexican about plain white rice in your burrito. Support your local roller!

73. Pipes says:

@Rey: If I ever heard someone using the term “pro-slaughter”, I’d immediately think of them as a crazy vegan. Just like when I hear the term “pro-abortion”, I know I’m dealing with a crazy fundie.

74. flyingcoach says:

*Disclosure: I’m a recently converted vegan of 2 months, so you can summon your ignorant assumptions and negative attitudes now.

I’ve never understood why vegetarians and vegans continue to eat fast food. One of the primary reasons one makes that lifestyle change is for the health benefits: lower risks of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. These are serious illnesses; heart disease is the leading killer in America. [www.cdc.gov]

“In 1961, the Journal of the American Medical Association stated that ninety to ninety-seven percent of heart disease, the cause of more than half the deaths in the United States, could be prevented by a vegetarian diet.”

It’s a shame that it’s normal to consider that vegetarian/vegans are “extreme” in our society. Many Americans have been conditioned since we were young to believe meat and dairy as being good for your health. For example, did you know the Dairy Council and the Beef Council helped shape the Food Pyramid? Conflict of interests?

I wasn’t aware of the amount of suffering that was involved, and as I learned more about it, I felt that to be consistent with my moral beliefs, that I need to pursue veganism.

Let me introduce you to the animal welfare vs. animal abolition argument. Here Chipotle is exercising animal welfare: green grass, no battery cages, “humane” treatment. Here’s the thing about “free range” meat. It’s a myth. For example as Chipotle states:

“All of these images are from farms that supply our naturally raised meat – meat that comes from animals that are fed a pure vegetarian diet, never given hormones or antibiotics, and raised in a humane way.”

They failed to mention they still get slaughtered in the most inhumane way: hung upside-down, throat slit, and bled out. So then we need to reexamine, what is a “humane” way to kill animals? Isn’t this asking how a human would want to be killed, if it were truly humane?

Also please don’t use vegetarian/veggie in the same sentence as PETA, we don’t like them. We get our information elsewhere, to name a few:

[video.google.com] (not sponsored by PETA)
    [www.animal-law.org] (Gary L. Francione, Professor of Law at Rutgers University, about 15min long)

If you do happen to watch any of these arguments, do so with an open mind and don’t pass judgment so easily. I’d also request you don’t stop watching halfway through, as it’s important to consider the entire message that is being presented, without passing judgment before you’ve seen the entire thing. I’d like to hear your (mature) comments.

75. royal72 says:

@aiken: “realize that 100% of the beef can be without hormones or antibiotics while only 50% counts as naturally raised. The former is a subset of the later. That is, not all no-hormones, no-antibiotics beef counts as “natural.” What they’re saying is that they have achieved 100% of the former, but have only gotten to 50% on the latter.”

thank you for reiterating that it’s marketing/pr spun bullshit.

76. Elvisisdead says:

There is simply one question to ask:

How much of the pork that Chipotle sells in one day comes from the pictured farm?

What would be more impressive would be if they posted a list of ALL suppliers on their website complete with photo tours and addresses.

The mental shortcut that they want you to make is to believe that all their meat comes from such bucolic environs. It’s like BP and their ads. Even greenie hippies have to buy gas.

77. Pdawg says:

@gondaba:

then don’t order beef. I prefer chicken or carnitas anyway. It’s your choice, speak with your wallet

78. Lee2706 says:

Dude, if yer a vegetarian, why are you at Chipotle of all places? Might as well just go to McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, etc and get a veggie burger.

At least Chipotle is trying to be sensitive to the origins of our food products.

79. Havok154 says:

I thought I told you guys to stop with the Chipotle topics, they still haven’t opened one near me and I still have that same damn craving for a hot burrito with smoked tabassco. You guys are just mean.

80. ancientsociety says:

@flyingcoach:

“It’s a shame that it’s normal to consider that vegetarian/vegans are “extreme” in our society.”

You answered your own question….

“That brings us to animal abolition. In short, we don’t want bigger cages, we want empty ones.”

Which is entirely the reason why there’s such ire directed @ most veggies and vegans – with you there is no middle ground. Instead of attempting to work with the food industry and farmers/ranchers, you seek to abolish it completely. Militant vegans engage in misinformation, propaganda, and criminal activity to achieve your anti-meat whack fantasies.

81. infinitysnake says:

@ancientsociety: That was unecessarily rude. The ppister hardly seems an extremist, yet you’re willing to label him “whack” for not agreeing.

82. ZugTheMegasaurus says:

I mainly got angry at the original letter (to Consumerist from Matt). He’s willing to sit there and call these things lies that border on the “criminal” with no information at all regarding their accuracy.

My family and our neighbors, every spring, buy an entire cow (organs and other unneeded parts excluded) from a local farm. I’ve visited the place. The animals are free range, treated humanely, and are in good health. It’s not fair to label every single farm as an evil hellhole just because you don’t like what they do there. Most people out there do live ethically- and morally-right lives.

83. color_guru says:

as someone that lives in southern cali i can officially say that Chipotle is so nassssssty!

84. SexCpotatoes says: