UPDATE: US Airways Broken Lost And Found Page

We reported to US Airways how their online Lost and Found form leads to a 404 error, and this is the response we got:

Dear Ben Popken,

Thank you for visiting usairways.com.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

The Central Resolution Office will make every effort to locate unchecked items you may have left on board a recent US Airways flight or left at an airport location. Items are forwarded to the Central Lost and Found facility from all US Airways cities twice a week.

The number to our Central Lost and Found facility in Phoenix is 480-693-2360. This is a voice message system and we will contact you when your item has been found.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply or call our Internet Support Desk at (800) 327-7810. We know that you have many choices and we thank you for choosing US Airways!

Sincerely,

Shawn G.
Internet Support Specialist
US Airways

Calling 480-693-2360 leads to a recording, with no option for leaving a message, that tells us to submit our request through US Airways online Lost and Found form… which is still broken. — BEN POPKEN

Lost And Found [US Airways]

This is how you get to the US Airway Lost and Found page:

1. USAirways.com
2. Top right – About us – Contact Us
3. Customer Relations
4. Lost and Found

Comments

1. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:
  2. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:

Never mind. I misunderstood you’re looking for a lost item.

3. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:

Check it out. It’s in the Google Cache but it still doesn’t work:

4. This is a fairly elegant and thus impressive level of corporate incompetence.

5. The Quite American says:

When a recent flight was canceled, the US Air counter rep told me that it was because other airlines are hiring, so the express crews for US Air are all getting other jobs. Not a good sign!

6. banned says:

I think the issue here is we expect these companies to care about stuff when clearly they don’t. Ask yourself, how can US Airways profit from your lost and found if they simply give the stuff back. My guess is they keep all that stuff and use it for employee perks, or maybe a year end yard sale to help pay for security costs.

7. aparsons says:

US Air lost one of my bags once – in Philadelphia (try getting through to that office!). Anyway, the conversation went something like this:

me: where is my luggage
    csr: I don’t know
    me: What do you mean. You have a barcode on the sticker that you attach to my luggage. Where was it last scanned!?!?!
    csr: Oh, we don’t use those barcodes for anything.

HA HA! Nice work, US AIR. Why even put that sticker there if you aren’t keeping track?

8. acambras says:

Ben, did we leave something on the plane?

9. Ben Popken says:

@acambras: iPod nano!

10. RandomHookup says:

This is like the annoying Verizon DSL message that tells you (again and again and again) to go online to get help, when the main reason you called is you can’t get online.

11. Buran says:

@Ben Popken: I guarantee that whoever picked it up isn’t going to turn it in. Someone just got a free iPod. Just buy a new one (or a refurb), because that’s all you can do.

12. Buran says:

@Ben Popken: An iPod? Trust me, it’s gone home in someone’s pocket. Just buy a new one, that’s all the choice you have. (Sorry if this is a repost… try #1 isn’t showing up)

13. polarogak says:

Dude, of all people, the editor of The Consumerist should know better than to fly US Airways. You deserved to lose your iPod Nano?

14. QuirkyRachel says:

One of the perks of moving out of Philly is that you no longer live in USAir’s home turf.

15. Ben Popken says:

@Buran: Oh, I know, and yes, I am dumb for not doing the ol self patdown before leaving. I just had to at least put in a request at lost and found.

16. whickey says:

Direct Phone Number for Baggage Dept at PHL: (610) 362-7927

They once lost my bags for two days and the comment they made to me was that since US Airways shifted their hub from Pittsburgh to PHL, everything had turned for the worst in regards to baggage.

Least we not forget the baggage snafu during XMas 2005 where their computers “lost” all baggage tracking info for passengers during that time…the Boston airport was full of bags because of how screwed up their system was.

17. Buran says:

@Ben Popken: I know… just trying to be realistic. It does suck. I almost left something similar on a flight once a few months ago, and I’m flying home tomorrow and I’ve got one of the new shuffles, which are even easier to lose!

Hope you find it, but I’m not real hopeful.

If you do buy another, try having your contact info (an email address or a website or something) engraved onto the back — there’s no charge, and it’s hard to remove that! So people will be likelier to return it.

18. Michael says:

@aparsons: That’s some seriously scary shit.

19. pearlandopal says:

@rocnrule: Nope, they sell it! [www.unclaimedbaggage.com] I was pretty shocked.

20. youngjt says:

I lost a $200 sweater of a US airways flight and after giving me the run around for a month the US airways employees at the CTL warehouse told me they give all of the clothes they find to charity. If they haven’t redirected you to the CTL warehouse the # is 704.359.2059. I am not a conspiracy theorist however my dad saw this dateline on NBC that showed all of the airlines selling all lost and found out of warehouses for profit. haha

21. gdimillo says:

I really don’t care if I’m approved or not. I’m trying to register a complaint! I have been flying USAir for many years and try to understand when you have problems out of your control, but this time, I’m at a loss.I had reservations from Reagan National to Buffalo on Saturday the 23rd and found out at the airport it was delayed. Delayed due to weather! Fine. Then on my return , my direct flight is cancelled due to weather. I called the number given on my voice mail 2 hours before my flight and was told by someone in Manila it was due to weather.I don’t take kindly to being lied to and weather conditions were fine for Buffalo and D.C. areas. I was also told no flight was available until the following day. I had an appointment early next day, so I called another number given to me. This also was in Manila. This person was kinder and more willing to help and put me on a flight to Pittsburg and connect to D.C.. That flight was delayed due to weather??? I finally left Buffalo and was told I would be able to make my connecting flight in Pittsburg. I arrived in Pittsburg to find out the flight was delayed in Newark. The plane was at the terminal but waiting for the crew! Delayed, once again, for one hour. I was told not to leave the gate because it could arrive earlier. Then, of course, it was delayed until 10 PM. Then delayed until 10:30 pm.. It finally arrived at 11:00PM and left shortly after. What a nightmare! A one hour direct flight turned out to be a over 7 hour nightmare, due to weather!
    Let us be honest, it was not weather. USAir has become an uncaring poorly staffed service. I was offered nothing for my inconvience but a lame excuse for cancelled flights and poorly staffed flights. I have been a long time, fequent flyer member and, sad to say, just cannot take the chance to fly your inconsistant airline.
    Just wanted to get this off my chest.
    A. Gus DiMillo

22. aboros says:

For what it’s worth:

Yes, when you talk to USAirways, they say “contact the airport” (see here). And yes, when you go to the airport (in my case, SFO), they say “contact the airline” (see here).

What they don’t tell you is that what they both really mean is “Contact the appropriate airline’s baggage service department at the airport.” for SFO that number is 650-877-0458.

Good luck all, and thank you Consumerist – it was Cary in Phoenix who set me on the right course.