Consumerist Undercover At IDT Energy: Table Of Contents

In case you missed any of 7-part undercover report on IDT-Energy, Midtown Promotions, and the fabulous worlds of energy resale and multi-level-marketing, here’s a recap:

1. Day One
2. The Job Interview
3. The Day Of O
4. Let’s Get Juiced
5. The Meeting
6. The Meltdown
7. The Confession

Thanks for all your feedback, it will definitely inform how we conduct our next investigation. — BEN POPKEN

Note: No definitive ties have been established between Midtown Promotions and DS-MAX/Innovage.

Comments

1. mantari says:

I don’t think that word means what you think it means. Or is it me? “inform”

2. Trai_Dep says:

A really great effort, guys. On the whole, glad to see the investment of work you guys – and the reporter – put into this.

While it would have been nice to capture the head of marketing, whacked on crystal meth and fellating twelve-year-old field mice, sometimes stories take you where they want to go, not vice-versa (Dateline, anyone?).

For a blog to take it to this level (Talking Points Memo is also moving in the direction of creating stories, so props to them as well) is freaken commendable.

Kudos, Kudos.

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

While I am no reporter, this series makes me want to document any future dealings with what I anticipate to be shady companies or customer services, for the benifit of Consumerist readers. Ya know, actually contribute something.

4. Jay Levitt says:

@mantari: It’s you. From dictionary.com:

3. to give evident substance, character, or distinction to; pervade or permeate with manifest effect: A love of nature informed his writing.

5. Fuzz says:

Just want to say that even though a lot of people were disappointed with the finale, good work on going to this level. I look forward to future efforts.

6. alpha says:

Good work guys. For all the flak you got, most of us really did still enjoy the piece.

Glad to hear you’re taking our comments into consideration and continuing with investigative journalism!

7. Jay Levitt says:

Ditto. As one of the complainers, I encourage more investigative reporting. Just two tips: More editing and less melodrama.

8. AndyMan1 says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the series. While there was no climax as many people have pointed out, the ride itself was still quite enjoyable, if you’ll pardon those not-so-subtle puns.

Two points:
    1. For god’s sake number story titles if they’re multi-part. IDT Investigation Part 1 of 7 or something.
    2. You might have better luck next time if you go to radio-silence mode before doing the investigation. As another reader noted, the manager might have tipped off his team to keep everything above-board as he knew ahead of time Consumerist was trolling for a story.

9. Mark 2000 says:

Way to verbose. I couldn’t read it because I never knew when actual information was going to show up. The articles are like novels. This is the internet. If I had time to read that much I’d get a book or a magazine.

10. beetlejuice81 says:

IDT was literally trolling around my apartment building a few minutes ago. They came about a month ago but some of the morons who live in this building keep letting them in. They refused to leave the premises even after I called Con Edison in their faces and was assured that IDT has nothing to do with Con Edison. Only when I threatened to call the police did they leave. Someone just needs to close this company down, if not for the general scam but for the fact that they excel at pestering!

11. Scorpie says:

As of late October, they’re wearing blue electricians’ outfits again, or at least the one who knocked on my door is. His spiel was better than pretending to be ConEd – he portrayed IDT Energy as a company working for the TriState government to make consumers aware of law changes and how ConEd is hiding information on discounts we’re owed. I thought IDT Energy was working on behalf of local government until I read his papers. I wondered ‘why is a govt guy wearing tradesman’s overalls?’