HBO Backlash: Subscribers "Crash" HBO's Website Complaining About Sopranos Finale

More than a few HBO subscribers were enraged by Sunday’s series finale and immediately raced to flood HBO’s email boxes with complaints—enough that according to LAWeekly, the volume of whiners crashed HBO’s website. From LAWeekly:

Either way, it was terrible. Apparently, my extreme reaction was typical of many series’ fans: they crashed HBO’s website for a time tonight trying to register their outrage. HBO could suffer a wave of cancellations as a result. (Already, the pay channel’s replacement series like John from Cincinnati are getting panned.) Chase clearly didn’t give a damn about his fans. Instead, he crapped in their faces. This is why America hates Hollywood.

This was whimpering. If you’re angry at wasting an hour, complain with your wallets.

The Sopranos finale was most notable to this website because it was being used in a thumbscrew-like fashion to “suggest” that analog cable subscribers switch to digital. Comcast, in particular, took HBO off analog cable to coincide with the finale, in the hopes that analog subscribers would switch. Now, oh boy, are people mad.

We watched it. We thought it was fine family fun and give it a whole-hearted endorsement… and when you’ve pleased a consumer news website, you’ve really done something special. Best ending since “The Birds.”—MEGHANN MARCO

THAAAT’S What We Were All Waiting For? Angry ‘Sopranos’ Fans Crash HBO Website [LAWeekly]
Series Finale Thread 1[HBO]
Series Finale Thread 2 [HBO]

PREVIOUSLY: No Sopranos For You: Comcast Says Switch To Digital Or Lose HBO

Comments

1. acambras says:

Used to be a big Sopranos fan, but season 6 has sucked. All that time we’d been wasting money on HBO. We waited and waited for season 6, and it has been lousy. So when we moved a couple of months ago, we dropped HBO. It doesn’t look like I missed anything last night.

2. alk509 says:

I thought the ending was absolutely BRILLIANT…

Having said that, yesterday’s was the very first Sopranos episode I’ve ever watched.

Al.

3. djfred says:

AtI thought it was a great

4. Jasmo says:

Please allow me to channel mr. Shatner for a moment:
    “GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it’s just a TV show!”

5. Buran says:

People who whine about TV shows are a bit over the top. If you don’t like it, why are you watching it? If you get HBO and complain about the shows they have, why are you paying for the service? Just drop the channel if you hate their programming so much. If you paid to watch it you must not really have hated it.

That said, the Shatner “get a life” thing was ridiculous. It’s just not polite to actually say something like that, in person, to a specific group of people. It’s just not. I lost what little bit of respect for him I had.

6. alk509 says:

After going to the HBO boards and reading all the stupid assholes complaining about not getting “closeure” [sic], I’m finding the finale even more brilliant! :-D

Al.

7. ptkdude says:

I used to be a fan of the Sopranos, but walked away from the series during the “Big Pussy is gay” season. I switched from Showtime back to HBO this morning for Big Love, which starts back up tonight. I wanted to make sure I waited until AFTER the Sopranos was over so HBO wouldn’t think that’s why I was switching.

8. ptkdude says:

@alk509: re: the finale being even more brilliant; now they can do a Sopranos movie and pump the audience for another $10 or so per person

9. slapstick says:

@Buran: That was from an SNL sketch…

10. shiny says:

All of the folks complaining about the quality of the Sopranos are entitled to do so. However, HBO is entitled to respond with just five words which completely justify their point:

“At least it’s not Arl$$$…”

11. Falconfire says:

never liked the show, nor did my family. It annoyed me to no end that people actually thought thats what Jersey was like. Just kept perpetuating the myth that Jersey is nothing but citys and industrial areas, and that all of our people are nasty thugs and guedos who talk like they are from a Rocky movie.

12. acambras says:

@ptkdude:

I think it was Vito that was gay. Big Pussy snitched to the feds.

13. Kifune says:

@ptkdude: It was Vito, btw. Big Pussy was whacked back in season 2.

14. djfred says:

After some reflection I think it was a great ending. (Infinitely better than the final Seinfeld episode at least.) While it’s fair to say that it stopped continuing more than it “ended”, that’s okay with me. I wasn’t particularly eager to see T lying in a pool of blood or be beaten over the head at how ammoral and gullible I the viewer am for rooting for a murderous sociopath for 7 years. Both of which seemed like the most likely exit strategies leading up to this one.
    In the end the real sociopath got his eyepopping just desserts and the real villains were the psychiatric profession.
    The rest of us got to cling to our image (illusion) of TS as a brutal but charming thug with a heart of gold. Life goes on, no matter what happens in those next few frames.

15. Ray Wert Jr says:

I love it when the consumer votes with their wallet. It’s the quickest way to get a reaction!

16. cgmaetc says:

Insufferable monkeys, take this!

17. gorckat says:

I laughed at all the bitching on the radio this morning. People have improverished imaginations.

18. pjsammy says:

@Jasmo: :) “I mean, what are you thirty? Have you even kissed a girl?!”

19. Stan LS says:

I thought it was great.

20. Youthier says:

What do they expect HBO to do about it? If you have a problem, email Chase and his production company… which may be HBO now that I think about it.

Still, the show’s over. Not much can be done now.

21. ptkdude says:

@Kifune: I stand corrected! All the thugs and “guedos” from the “citys” in New Jersey all look alike to me :-)

22. ancientsociety says:

Wow, I’m awed by the overwhelming stupidity of the general public once again. As has been said, it’s a TV show, turn it off and get a life.

It’s almost impossible to get people to vote in government elections but *gasp* the series finale of the Sopranos isn’t to their liking and suddenly they’re out in droves!

I fear for the future of this country.

23. Wormfather says:

Ya know, I was thinking, “I wonder if people are gonna write to the consumerist complaining that HBO ripped them off.” Guess they are.

Believe it or not the ending was food for though, a little something for everyone. If you wanted Tony whacked, you got it, if you wanted him to live you got that, some even say that the we the viewers got whacked, after all it was our screens that went black.

Life is full of loose ends, things dont wrap up nicely in a bow, if you want that, the Gilmore Girls finalie was more up your stream, this, this was life, even when we close the door on something there will always be questions (Dont you ever wonder about that girl you dated XX years ago that you havnt talked to, or the plummer that you swore revenge on?) that will never be answered to you.

24. yetiwisdom says:

I was convinced to add HBO in my bachelor days by a roommate who sold it solely on the Sopranos. I enjoyed the first two seasons, lost some interest in 3-4 then quit HBO after they didn’t come back in 2003. Despite about 20% of my friends and colleagues being obsessed with it, I couldn’t understand their patience in waiting 2-3 years for new episodes at about $15/month! It was insane to me. Of course, they liked the other HBO Series but their main reason for subscribing was The Sporanos.

So, having been “out of the loop” since 2002, I went to a little Sopranos Party last night. When the episode went to black, 2 people piped up “did your cable go out??” When the credits rolled I was so grateful that I hadn’t become wrapped up in the series. Those that were expressed shock, betrayal and irritation. If I were them, I would too – if I had spent about $1200 to subscribe since 1999 for an ending like that. One friend said “thank god I didn’t pay for it and used bittorrent!”

I liked the ending – left it open-ended and interesting, but then again, I didn’t have much invested that required closure.

25. Baz says:

Loved it.

26. rbb says:

Just wait. They will come out with a “special” boxed set of the last season complete with the real ending that was just too horrible/controversial to show on TV. Oh, and they will double the normal price too…

27. aikoto says:

@ everyone who says “it’s just a show”.

This is like a guy telling his girlfriend who’s cat has just been run over in the street, “relax, it’s just a cat!”

Or a girl confessing to her guy that she taped over the superbowl game he wasn’t able to watch live because she really wanted to record Oprah that day and then telling him, “relax, it’s just a game”.

Be careful of minimizing things that are important to others just because you don’t agree/understand them. It makes you seem callous and lacking in intelligence.

28. Buran says:

@slapstick: So? “I was trying to be funny” doesn’t excuse “rude assholish behavior”.

29. ancientsociety says:

@jeremyduffy: How is someone saying “it’s just a show” make them seem “lacking in intelligence”?

It IS just a TV show.

As for your first “example”, this isn’t even in the same ballpark, hell the same league as being upset over a TV show. A pet is something you care for. It’s a physical possession. The Sopranos is none of these. As for the “game”, it IS just a game. There’s always another one and there’s always recaps/postgame/etc.

30. SecureLocation says:

Those weenies should quit bitchin’ and use their noggins. Sopranos isn’t Law & Order, where everything always

31. bedofnails says:

It’s sad how people need things spelled out for them these days, they can’t use their imaginations. I guess this coincides with how Hollywood continues to churn out loud and bright trite films.

32. not_seth_brundle says:

@Buran: Are you serious?

33. r81984 says:

Comcast is known for this crap.

They switched the SciFi Channel to digital just to force all of those fans to pay for the whole digital tier for one channel.

I know have to resort to downloading SciFi Channel shows off the internet just to watch them.

34. TheDude06 says:

its NOT THE SAME as bitching about a broken hairdryer! That should be obvious to the people here. The quality of entertainment is /sub/jective.

As such, your “right” to bitch about it is extended to infinity, since you cant be wrong about if you enjoyed a television show or not. Just like the creator cant be wrong for creating it.

the story here is “Artists work creates controversy”. wow. youd almost think they do that sort of thing on purpose.

35. hop says:

i tho

36. hop says:

i thought the e

37. hop says:

i thought the ending was ok…i’m kinda glad the famiol

38. hop says:

i thought the ending was ok…i’m kinda glad the family didn’t

39. hop says:

sorry about the above…i have no idea what happened…..anyway, we liked the ending and were glad the family didn’t get wacked….the way phil got it was neat…..we are gonna cancel hbo any way…we only get it for the soprano’s…there is nothing else i wanna see….and the movies keep repeating themselves….we will try starz for awhile, then go to showtime….

40. Crazytree says:

How would everyone’s opinion change if it turned out that we were ROBBED of an ending in order to boost DVD sales that WILL contain a real ending to the show?

Or that this is just a rip-off piece of bait for a potential forthcoming film?

41. davere says:

I never bothered with the Sopranos after a handful of Season 1 episodes but I did enjoy reading all the complaints all over the net today.

The most enlightening post I saw was on slashdot. And I quote:

“It was pretty clear to me that he died. Remember the flashback in the previous episode, where Bobby says “You never even hear it when it happens, do you?” Implying everything just goes black – you’re dead before you even hear the gun being fired. Well, that’s exactly what happened. The last thing Tony say was Meadow walking in the door.”

42. AcidReign says:

…..I’m not a premium channel subscriber, but we’ve enjoyed several of the HBO series (Rome, Jeremiah, etc.). The way to do it is to wait a year, then check the series DVD out at the library. Can’t beat watching it free.

…..What cracks me up about HBO serials, though, is the required, gratuitous boobie scene in every episode. “Hey, buddy! Look at them tits! See? This ain’t reglar TV! This is HBO. Keep lookin’ at them tits!” And keep paying the extra fee to Charter.

43. badgeman46 says:

This whole thing is a twisted marketing ploy by the kings of nickle and diming, the cable company!!! The screen went blank! I better upgrade to digital cable! I’ll just buy the DVD for 50 bucks! Y’all fell for it tho. Think about it people!!! You pay 100+ bucks a month to watch TV!!!! Get rabbit ears! Get a real antenna to watch broadcast!Invest that money! That’s $41,373 over 20 years in a 5 percent savings account! 87 grand over 30 years!!! Use the library if you want to watch DVDs!!!! SHOve IT COMCAST!!!

44. filmsnack says:

I wonder if the same thing happened to Television Without Pity – I haven’t been able to get it to load all day. The forums must have been going NUTS last night.

45. drew30 says:

As soon as I saw that David Chase had written and directed the episode, I braced myself for an unsatisfying ending. When you look back and think about it, The Sopranos is the ultimate loose-ends-left-untied show.

And the cat? Clearly Adriana.

46. CumaeanSibyl says:

@Buran: You don’t know many Star Trek fans, do you?

47. Televiper says:

It’s a sad commentary on society when people get worked up about the ending of TV show. I am constantly amazed about how seriously people take this stuff. This is coming from a person that is constantly buying CDs and DVDs. It’s just a TV show. For some it’s not even just seeing it.. it’s seeing it the night it premiers.

48. lihtox says:

@ancientsociety: If people had to go to a local school building on a Tuesday and stand in line to complain about The Sopranos finale, they probably wouldn’t do that either.

And for those people who think it’s “pathetic” that people get worked up over a TV show…that’s the human condition. That’s what art is all about, people getting worked up by a few words, a bit of paint on canvas, the sawing of catgut. *I* think it would be sad if people were no longer capable of being wrapped up in things which are ultimately not very important.

(And if you say “It’s just a TV show, it’s not art”…you’re confusing the medium with the message.)

49. lihtox says:

@hop: sorry about the above…i have no idea what happened

I thought it was an intentional homage to the episode. :)

50. lihtox says:

I was thinking: even if there wasn’t such an outrage about the last episode, wouldn’t there still be a number of people cancelling their subscriptions to HBO, because The Sopranos was the only thing they watched on that channel?

51. bhall03 says:

@jeremyduffy: Actually, your analogy doesn’t stand up in either example. Both of your comparisons are real life, not the fantasy of a tv series.

Now, if you had made a reference to WWE wrestling, then I would be right there with you.

52. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

David Chase has said that “that’s it.” There is no movie or secret ending or anything like that.

And yes, it’s “Just a show.” If you bitch or think that’s cruel, then you do need to get a life. Now. Shut off your computer, your blackberry, your cell phone, and go outside. :)

I watched the show and I thought the ending was damn near perfect, as it leaves it up to the viewer (although once they killed Phil I was happy).