Burger King, McDonald's Launch Spam War, Literally

Hawaiians love Spam! They love it so much that McDonald’s offers it on their breakfast menu in Hawaii, and now Burger King is getting into the act. It’s a Spam war!

Burger King is now offering the Spam Platter—which is “two slices of Spam nestled between white rice and scrambled eggs.” You can also get a Croissanwich or Biscuit Sandwich with Spam.

The Spam Platter costs $3.49 at BK. McDonald’s Spam Platter (shown above) is almost identical, but is 10 cents cheaper.

Hawaiians consume 5 million pounds of Spam a year, about 6 cans per person. You can get lots of varieties of Spam in Hawaii, some of which we’d never even heard of.

“There’s Spam Garlic, Spam Bacon, Spam with Cheese, Spam with Tabasco, Spam Turkey and Spam Lite, which featured less sodium and less fat.” Who knew? Hawaiians, we assume. —MEGHANN MARCO

Burger King Ignites Spam War [NBC11]
(Photo: aprilandrandy)

Comments

1. JKinNYC says:

Identical, not identicle.

2. anatak says:

and served on styro-foam, none the less. great.

3. Peeved Guy says:

Cue the vikings in 3…2…1…

4. exkon says:

SPAM is delicious! Never had it for breakfast, but great in ramen and with rice!

5. joeblevins says:

Would love to have a Spam McMuffin.

My family generally keeps a couple cans of the Spam Lite/Low Sodium, and I like the Spam w/ Tabasco.

6. gondaba says:

That’s disgusting.

7. B says:

I prefer the spam, spam, sausage and spam special, but to each his own.

8. LatherRinseRepeat says:

If you go to the M

9. harumph says:

@Peeved Guy:
    i’ll have spam, eggs, sausage and spam

10. LatherRinseRepeat says:

^Oops, accidentally hit Submit.

Damn, now I forgot what I was going to say.

11. LowerHouseMember says:

I love spam. I’m going to Hawaii in a few weeks so I’m definitely going to try this.

12. MeOhMy says:

Now if I could just get a nice McScrapple I’d be all set.

13. capnfive says:

Oh yeah, Scrapple would totally rock… where would you have to live for that? Pennsylvania?

14. Invisobel says:

@Peeved Guy: SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM…..

15. kerry says:

I wonder if they serve Spam McGriddles at McDonalds in Hawaii. That sounds disgusting enough to be good.

16. AcidReign says:

…..Spam’s ok, but I prefer Armour vienna sausages for my emergency no-refridgeration, cheap meat snack. Damn, I love those things!

…..Yeah, mega-salt, mega-fat, no nutritional value whatsoever yada yada yada. It’s better for me than meth or cigarettes.

17. frowelishnu says:

@joeblevins: They also have Spam Mcmuffins at McD’s in Hawaii.
    The best spam snack (ono spam grinds) has got to be Spam Musubi.
    It’s like a sushi roll but with spam. For your dining pleasure:

Cook up some sticky rice.
    Thickly slice up some spam (use 25% less sodium if you wanna live).
    Fry it up in some teriyaki sauce (shoyu/sugar mix).
    Use a musubi maker if you have one – I’ll assume you don’t.
    Pile the rice onto the spam slice – pack it a little. You can put a little more sauce on if you like but not too much – the rice needs to stay sticky.
    Wrap in a strip of nori (seaweed).
    Wrap the whole thing in some plastic wrap and take it to the beach.

Definitely love being in Hawaii where spam is so prevalent.

18. Peeved Guy says:

@harumph: I’m having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam and spam!

@Invisobel: Shut Up! Bloody Vikings!

OK. I think I’m done with the obligitory Python references… But y’all feel free to carry on.

19. 160medic says:

Tabasco SPAM is awsome

20. specialed5000 says:

I read an article somewhere a couple of years ago (in Smithsonian magazine maybe?) talking about how popular Spam was in many parts of the South Pacific. The best theory to explain why was that it most popular on islands where cannibalism was common not too many decades ago and that the flavor of Spam reminded people of, well, people. Completely untrue of course, but amusing

21. TheSlate says:

It looks more appetizing then anything else at McDonald’s.

22. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I find SPAM to be perfectly edible in an emergency, but it’s hard for me to believe that somebody would actually LIKE it enough for it to be on a restaurant menu, nestled between rice and scrambled eggs.

So what is it about Hawaii that cultivates a taste for canned meat in the local populace, and do they have a SPAM Frosty at Wendy’s?

23. junkmail says:

oh dear Lord in Heaven…. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little…

24. Hoss says:

@Peeved Guy: You think we’re done, do ya?

Gentlemen chorus: “Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!”

25. swalve says:

“It looks more appetizing then anything else at McDonald’s.”

Why the hate?

26. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@Hossofcourse: And now for the “cheese sketch!”

27. CumaeanSibyl says:

I don’t get the hate. Sure, cold Spam from a can is gross, but fry it up and it’s just like bacon.

28. asherchang says:

You can find Spam Lite in grocery stores on the mainland, easilly.

I prefer it to regular spam when I’m not in the mood for that bitter, oily taste of grease.

Frying thin slices Spam and eating it over rice FTW.

29. marike says:

You forgot the Collector’s Edition Honey Spam!

I don’t do either local breakfast platter (spam/portuguese sausage) at McDonalds, but I’ll order any breakfast sandwich with spam over ham or sausage any day! It’s a matter of do I want it on a fake croissant or an english muffin…

30. asherchang says:

@specialed5000: people supposedly taste something like beef (although that Japanese optical taster-bot analyzed someone’s arm and said it was prociutto).

but it’s popular in Korea because of a history of American armed forces being stationed there since the war. And I guess Hawaii once had a significant number of bases too?

31. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Spam’s actually pretty good. I use it whenever I make pesto if I don’t have bacon.

32. IRSistherootofallevil says:

But I wouldn’t trust spam from a McDonald’s though. Ick.

33. shoegazer says:

Ahh SPAM! I dip one side in brown sugar then fry it for that oh-so-unhealthy fat/sugar double whammy. Spam for breakfast isn’t so unusual – the Philippines loves the stuff too.

34. @AcidReign: It’s probably close, but i would agree.

@asherchang: The spam growth is from WWII and the big navy base there.

35. kimsama says:

@asherchang: And it also goes crazy-good with kimchi. Kimchi-spam fried rice? Do want.

36. shoegazer says:

I guess Spam is the US Army’s third biggest WWII legacy. You know, after G.I. Babies and STDs.

37. Julia says:

Someone already beat me to the Ono Grinds — Spam Musubi! Especially if it has been sitting in a hot box a place like Minit Stop. Mmmmm, spam and eggs and rice for breakfast. Throw in a malasada and you are good to go for the day!

I miss the aina.

38. bbbici says:

What does Spam taste like? I’ve always been too squeamish to try it.

39. bombaxstar says:

@shoegazer: You beat me to it. Filipinos love spam. I`m only half, so I only kinda like it. =p

40. affidavid says:

@specialed5000: Not completely untrue, only mostly untrue. The word you’re looking for is Longpig.