House Passes Two Anti-Spyware Measures

The House has passed not one, but two cleverly-named measures targeting the miscreants who make and promote spyware. Though the FTC, Justice Department, and several state attorneys general are already empowered to prosecute spyware manufacturers, the two measures would extend existing laws by subjecting spyware makers to jail terms and multimillion-dollar fines.

The I-SPY Prevention Act, passed in May on a voice vote, would send spyware makers to the slammer for up to five years. The measure enjoys broad support from industry. Its controversial cousin, the SPY ACT, was passed last week 368-48. The SPY ACT would target an array of spyware, adware, and phishing schemes by requiring notice and consent before allowing the installation of information-gathering programs, and would subject violators to FTC fines reaching $3 million.

The measures, which also passed the House in the last Congress, will now make another enthusiastic dash towards the Senate. If you think spyware makers should be imprisoned or slapped with multimillion-dollar fines, write your Senator. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Some say spyware bill too broad, others say too weak [InfoWorld]
H.R. 964 – SPY Act
H.R. 1525 – I-SPY Prevention Act
Write Your Senator
(Photo: blatch)

Comments

1. ptkdude says:

I’m sure these 2 cleverly named laws will be just as effective as the CAN-SPAM law; I hardly ever get spam anymore!

2. mopar_man says:

@ptkdude:
    Yeah me neither. How does one go about finding the manufacturer of the spam you find on your computer anyway?

3. segfault, registered cat offender says:

$3 million fines aren’t enough–they should be able to shut down the spyware company and disgorge all its profits and send those responsible to their nearest friendly federal lock-up.

4. Papa Midnight says:

Tank: “He likes it, I think he likes it…”
    – The Matrix, 1999.

5. Papa Midnight says:

Oh, something just occured to me… This would effectively put the company that makes that annyoing as hell VirtuaGirl out of business…

6. SexCpotatoes says:

The penalty needs to be death.

For Spamming, Spyware, or Malicous virus creation, etc. It’s the only way to make these vicious sacks of shit stop with their villainy.

7. @SexCpotatoes: I’m not quite sure about death.. Perhaps total restriction from the internet else prison time, no questions asked?

8. Anonymous says:

If i cut the break lines on your car and render unusable then I am a criminal. If I wreck your computer then I can’t be touched. The laws are in place what we need is respectful enforcement and intelligent leaders. If we keep writing laws which already exist…