What Kind Of Consumer Are You, Anyway?

If your goal were to spend more time with your family, what would you buy? A set of lawn darts or a time-saving new appliance? If you voted lawn darts, you are a “promotion-focused” consumer. If the appliance, a “prevention-focused” consumer. According to a study in the Journal of Consumer Research by Mehdi Mourali, Ulf B

ckenholt, and Michel Laroche, your focus could help advertisers market to you.

Promotion-focused consumers tend to have more positive outlooks and appreciate connections between products and advertising with more disparate elements, while prevention-focused consumers respond better to unambiguous, “buy this and free up time to spend with your kids” advertising.

In other words, this will help advertisers sucker you into buying more stuff. SAM GLOVER

Comments

1. EtherealStrife says:

Mark me down for lawn darts. Those things were the best.

Fun for the whole family!

2. Triteon says:

…this will help advertisers sucker you into buying more stuff.
    Advocacy– one more way Consumerist is a blog, and not a legitimate news source.

3. MercuryPDX says:

4. huadpe says:

@Triteon: Advocacy– one more way Consumerist is a blog, and not a legitimate news source.

Who ever said otherwise? The FAQ’s first question explains Consumerist’s nature as a blog. They’re not TRYING to be a “legitimate news source” like CNN or the New York Times, they promised blogging and they delivered. I’m satisfied.

5. williameb says:

About a year ago I purchased a Seagate 4gig microdrive for my Nikon D200. It was much cheaper than the equivalent solid state CF memory selling for under $100. It worked fine for the past year letting me take over 1000 pictures before having to make a transfer to a CD or other storage device.

Then it happened. Without any warning it quit. I had taken a few pictures and removed the microdrive from the camera and plugged it into a card reader attached via USB to a laptop. This was the way I always reviewed my pictures. This time the drive did not show up on the laptop. I went through the usual restarts and removing and reinserting into the reader. Nothing.

The Seagate web site listed the contact procedure for their recovery services. I followed their instructions and sent the microdrive to them. Within 24 hours I received a phone call telling me that the drive had broken but that they could recover the data. The cost to me, however, would be $1500. That was their minimum for data recovery. There were no options.

I did not agree to the $1500 charge and currently have a local vendor looking at the drive to give me their estimate of cost to recover my pictures.

Had I known, I would never have used a microdrive. They are not expensive until they break and you know that because they are mechanical they will break. What you don’t know is when. This is what I know now. Microdrives work fine. They don’t slow down your camera and don’t run down the camera batteries. I am told that you have a 95% chance of recovery of data when the drive fails but it is expensive. If I had been given a clue as to the cost of data recovery I would have never used a microdrive. It just doesn’t make sense.

Until this episode the only experience that I had with data recovery was spending a few hundred dollars to have the files moved from an old and faulty hard drive into a new one. If Seagate was honest they would have put a warning on the package saying this device will fail eventually and recovery of your files will cost a minimum of $1500. As the customer service representative told me, if they did that they wouldn’t sell any.

If I can help anyone avoid the mistake that I made some good will come of this.

Bill Borklund
    70 Westlake Trail
    Litchfield, IL 62056
    Home phone, 217-324-2189
    Cell 217-710-5770 (New)

6. AcidReign says:

…..Do they still sell those things? One of the kids in my neighborhood, back in the 1960s, had one go through his foot and nail him to the ground. It was wicked cool! The darts also got thrown at squirrels and birds, a lot. I don’t think we ever read the rules.

…..The best way to increase time spent with your kids is to cut the power breakers to their bedrooms. No TV/Computer/video games for them, and you’ll hear from them, pronto.

…..Seriously, in my experience, check out what THEY are interested in. If they want to talk “Final Fantasy” or “Gears of War” the entire time they’re at the dinner table, you might want to try the game yourself. Buying some antiquated lawn game, and forcing them to play it is going to have mixed results, most likely. Also, you can find lawn darts and croquette sets at garage sales for nearly nothing.

7. GirlGoneRiled says:

A great way to have more time with the family is not to not go shopping for stuff one doesn’t actually need. Amazing how much time is freed up in *not* going to the mall.

8. Trackback says:

[Consumerist crosspost] If your goal were to spend more time with your family, what would you buy? A set of lawn darts or a time-saving new appliance? If you voted lawn darts, you are a “promotion-focused” consumer. If the appliance, a “prevention-focused” consumer.

9. Chicago7 says:

I don’t about anybody else, but I’d buy the 1.5 liters of SEAGRAM’s for 99 cents and just get hammered for the whole weekend!

10. AcidReign says:

…..@williameb: If the microdrive isn’t physically broken, you might can get the data back with freeware/shareware. Testdisk can often fix screwed up boot sectors and FATs. If the boot sector gets hosed, the drive will not show up in Windows. There is also a piece of freeware called PC Inspector Smart Recovery that specializes in undeleting stuff on flash devices and the like. Google ‘em, download ‘em. You have little to lose.

…..My philosophy is to get those pictures out of the camera and into the computer ASAP, where they’ll be on the backup cycle.

11. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I want a stove that launches lawndarts.

Kill two birds with one stone, I could.

12. Triteon says:

@huadpe: My comment was referencing an article from a previous discussion. I should have linked back to it, as I do now… Help Us Get Into Google News
    Unfortunately, Consumerist now does want to be accepted as a news source.

13. The Bigger Unit says:

@Chicago7: No kidding man, you took the words from my mouth. I wanna know where the hell a store is selling one and a half liters of Seagram’s for a buck!! I’m there!

14. Sudonum says:

@Chicago7: @The Nature Boy:

I think they’re referring to Seagrams MIXERS. But one can always hope.

15. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

@williameb: I feel for you, but I would never trust important photos/data to a single drive of any type.

Perhaps you could throw lawn darts through the microdrive :)

16. synergy says:

1.5L ~= 50fl.oz.

That’s just a little over the size of a Super Big Gulp.