Safeway Recalls Ground Beef Due to E. Coli Contamination

If you live in Arizona and bought ground beef at Safeway, you’ll want to return it for a refund or discard it. The following products are included:

-Miller Ground Beef Chub 80% Lean

-Regular Ground Beef 73% Lean

-Regular Ground Beef 73% Lean Extreme Value

-Lean Ground Beef 80% Lean

-80% Lean Ground Beef Market 20% Fat

-Lean Ground Beef 80% Lean Extreme Value

-Lean Ground Sirloin

-Leanest Ground Beef 93% Lean

-Lean Ground Sirloin Extreme Value

-93% Lean Ground Beef 7% Fat Extreme Value

-85% Lean Ground Beef 15% Fat Extreme Value

-80% Lean Ground Beef Market 20% Fat Extreme Value.

Remember: Freezing does not kill e. coli. Don’t risk it. If you have questions, call 1-800-SAFEWAY. —MEGHANN MARCO

Safeway recalls some beef products [BusinessWeek]
(Photo: Spidra Webster)

Comments

1. rmz says:

If there were ever a time that I was glad that I procrastinated on buying groceries, this would be it. If I had gone earlier this week like I had planned, I may well have bought some of this stuff.

2. dwneylonsr says:

So I call my wife and ask if we bought any ground beef at Safeway and she says “yes, but I think we already ate it”.

swell… but I suppose that means the hammer fell on the empty chamber.

3. timmus says:

The million dollar question the media is skipping over is how E. coli got into the ground beef. That’s a fecal bacteria.

4. DAK says:

I don’t trust Safeway in the slightest when it comes to food handling. I shop at a Safeway in VA, and I routinely find enough blood pooled on the shelf (and coagulating) to at least cover past your pinky fingernail. Every Safeway I’ve ever been to is a complete mess.

5. FOOD = POISON

Speaking of beef recalls:

@timmus: Oh no, see we should only get upset about recalls when the product comes from China. :/

6. VA_White says:

Awesome. I just fed my family the 93% lean stuff last night. My toddler ate a cheeseburger made with it. I cooked the hell out of it though so hopefully we won’t be greeted with virulent diarrhea for dessert.

7. jeffislouie says:

Something like this happened around where my parents live (in a well off suburb). One of the residents who lives across a busy main street from the grocery put up a huge sign made with christmas lights that said:
    “Don’t buy meat from *storename* if you want to live!”
    If you properly cook meat, the chances of contamination go down considerably, but are never completely zero.
    The upside is that if you already ate the meat last night and no one is sick, you are likely already in the clear….
    If not, well… Ready the lawsuit….
    Good luck. Food poisoning sucks.