Maytag Sends You A New Dishwasher?

Steve thinks he may be getting a new dishwasher. Steve’s old dishwasher was part of Feburary’s potentially flammable dishwasher recall. He called for the repair kit, and never received anything. Someone from Maytag called to follow up and was shocked to hear the dishwasher was still out of commission. So they’re sending Steve a new one.

Read his email inside.

Steve writes:

A few months ago, I saw a full-page ad in Parade (or one of the Sunday supplements) about a recall of Maytag dishwashers. The photo in the ad looked like mine. I checked the serial numbers, and mine WAS included. I called the Maytag number, and followed the instructions. I got a letter from Maytag with instructions on who to call. The local repaiman came to the house and said that he would also need to replace the circuit board, and would order it from Maytag. That was almost a month and a half ago.

Last night I got a phone call from Maytag, asking me if I’d received the circuit board and if the dishwasher was repaired. I said we hadn’t received the circuit board and that the dishwasher was still out of commission. The woman from Maytag (I’m sorry, but I forgot her name–I was kinda shocked by the call) said that Maytag regrets that they will be unable to supply the circuit board, but that she would forward my file on to another division. They would be in touch with me regarding the delivery of a free, new dishwasher.

Time will tell if they’re as good as their word. I’m just shocked that they’re replacing the whole damn washer instead of just giving me a coupon for $100 off a new washer (that was one option when I first called–either a repair or a $100 coupon off a new dishwasher).

I remember the trouble a friend had getting satisfaction with her Maytag Neptune clothes washer and the bad press they got. Maybe someone at Maytag is on the ball.

Anyway, just thought you’d like to know about a company that seems to have its customer service hat on correctly.

Well, yay. Anyone have a similar experience? Or is Steve just popular with Maytag?—MEGHANN MARCO

(Photo: redjar)

Comments

1. CRSpartan01 says:

And that’s how you keep a customer for life. I’m much more likely to buy from a company that genuinely stands behind its work (like Monster Cable) than companies that might sell their goods for a little less. You get what you pay for.

2. JustAGuy2 says:

@CRSpartan01:

Actually, with Monster Cable, you get far less than you pay for. I’d rather buy an equivalent quality cable for 1/3 the price than pay Monster’s markup. Even if it lasts half as long as the Monster Cable, I’m in the black.

3. forrester says:

My neptune washer was just recalled a while ago (actually I learned about it on the consumerist) anyways, rather than replace what was bad, they sent a GFCI wall plugin so that when bad part actually fails and water shorts out said part, it will just break the washer and not start a fire and burn down the house. I guess Maytag is more concerned about covering the cost of a house and insurance claims rather than replacing the actual defective parts or in this case fixing a design flaw perhaps?

4. Ray Wert Jr says:

@JustAGuy2: I generally give that shot a chance, but after the trouble Ive had I know longer do business with TigerDirect or Corsair. Especially corsair, because (and I sent this into Consumerist) the fact that it took a week and a half to get a RMA number and another week and half to get the RAM back. I sent Corsair a letter about how displeased I was with there service, and that the RAM wasn’t working out for me in general, and that I wanted my money back or better RAM. Corsair shipped my same style ram back, without even a “We are sorry, but we aren’t going to do anything about it”

Needless to say, the Corsair RAM will be going on eBay as soon as I find a better RAM maker.

Now for a good story.
    I ordered a case from Newegg, and the door arrived broken. Not wanting to send back a 40lb case, I called Antec and their rep replaced the door after it telling him my situation. I was expecting them to say, send it back to newegg. But they did not. They even sent an extra case fan too!

5. FLConsumer says:

I’ll echo Justaguy2′s comments on Monster — terribly slick marketing, piss poor product. Oh, their stuff and marketing LOOK slick, but you can get much better quality elsewhere for far less…and better service elsewhere too.

On Maytag, this is somewhat interesting. They’ve had a terrible time with their front-loading washers, to the point that there was a class action lawsuit over them. On their dishwashers, I’ve not seen one fail, and I’m not a fan of ‘em, but they do seem to work reliably. My mother’s till not managed to kill hers after 12 years… yet.

6. SOhp101 says:

@CRSpartan01: LOL monstercable? Please say you’re joking… I’d much rather pay for a cable that costs a fraction of that overpriced marketing bs.

I wouldn’t call this a happy ending… yet. He still hasn’t received the new dishwasher.

7. Sir Winston Thriller says:

I’ll let Consumerist know if I do indeed get a free new dishwasher. I was just stunned at the offer. Those things ain’t cheap.

8. clickertrainer says:

I think my dishwasher’s the same one, and this is the first I have heard of it. I sent in the registration for it too, way back in ’97. Wonder why they didn’t contact me.

Maytag did send me a replacement part for my recalled clothes washer, but the washer’s way to heavy to move, so I’m stumped as to how I can replace it myself as they suggest.

Anyway thanks Consumerist.com, for keeping me informed!

9. 12b6 says:

The Maytag dishwasher we had was recalled at approximately the same time. The recall sent us to a website where we checked the number on the dishwasher and found it was covered by the recall, and like the original poster, we opted for the replacement part rather than the paltry sum of $100 toward a new dishwasher.

It was quite a while before they actually CALLED, and stated that they didn’t have the part and were going to send a new dishwasher in the next few weeks. It was probably a good two to three weeks at least, but they DID send a new dishwasher – “comparable” supposedly, not the greatest, but was “new” replacing what was a dishwasher that served a few years already.

So, Maytag did fulfill its new dishwasher thing after the recall for us…

10. AcidReign says:

…..Somehow I missed the Feb 03 post. I do have that dishwasher, damnit! And I’ve been loading it with Jetdry for about 7 or 8 years, too. Best dishwasher, ever! You don’t have to rinse stuff, and it still gets clean. Never needed service before, either.

…..I ran through the Maytag link, and supposedly they’re mailing me a repair kit, and instructions on how to schedule a free repair. Meanwhile, I am NOT washing dishes by hand. I did recheck check my ABC fire extinguisher in the kitchen…

11. tadowguy says:

I called Maytag 5 times and each time they “couldn’t get through” in their system. I also tried online about 10 times over 4 weeks, and it kept telling me to call in. Fortunately, we don’t use a rinse aid, so it wasn’t as much of an issue. After 2 angry emails, the part miraculously showed up one day and the repair man was out the next week. After issues with my drier, I had already decided “no more Maytag” anyway, this was another nail in their coffin.

12. Sir Winston Thriller says:

12b6, what was the replacent dishwasher’s model? (I’d like to know what I’m in for.)

13. AcidReign says:

…..Almost forgot! Monster Cables! If you’re going to, say, plug your compressor/limiter up into your distortion box in your road rack, and it’s going to stay that way for years, you don’t need Monster Cables. If you plug your guitar into your rig still, and you do that Tarzan bit onstage, that 25-foot cord BETTER be decent quality, or you’ll be replacing it A LOT!

…..Some guitarists will swear up and down that a good 25-foot cord is the best EQ device ever… Having said that, I have an 18-year-old, reinforced Peavy cord for my main guitar-to-rack cord, and it STILL has no crackles or static in it!

14. Chicago7 says:

Wasn’t Maytag owned by somebody else until just recently when they became an independent manufacturer again?

The only thing wrong with Monster Cables is that they cost 5x what they should. I have a Monster Cable splitter and it works great. Fortunately, I bought from Tweeter on a going-out-of-business deal and got it for 25% of the original price.

15. Youthier says:

@Chicago7: Maytag was independent until last year. Then they were aquired by Whirlpool.

16. robrichard says:

I have a dishwasher affected by the recall. Maytag wanted us to wait at least two weeks for them to send a repairman to fix our dishwasher OR give us a $75 coupon towards the purchase of a new dishwasher. After reading this post I called again today and asked to speak with a supervisor. After some persuasion agreed to give us a new dishwasher or give us $579 to purchase a new one on my own. They said it would take two weeks for the dishwasher to come so I chose the $579.

17. Lillian88 says:

It worked. I sent an email to everyone on the Whirlpool Board of Directors link on the Whirlpool homepage. I used the email format of firstname_lastname@whirlpool.com. I explained that I haven’t been able to use my dishwasher since Feb 4 and that I was at my wits end. I also told them I would warn everyone I knew not to buy any whirlpool product. My new dishwasher was installed today!!! MDB6601AWW is what they gave me.