IDT Energy Scammer Spotted On Upper East Side

A reader living on the Upper East Side describes almost being scammed not an hour ago by an IDT Energy salesman pretending they were from ConEd. This was around 62nd street between 1st and 2nd avenues. If you live in the area, keep an eye, and maybe a camera lens, out for as an African-American male in his 20′s wearing khakis, dress shoes, and a buttoned up shirt and probably carrying a binder. Jeremy writes:

I work from home and was in the middle of a busy period when a young man came to my door saying that he worked for ConEd or that he was doing some work for ConEd — he definitely identified himself with ConEd. Anyways, he told me he that he was doing work in the building and that he needed to see my bill to check if I had a message on it indicating that I was one of the ones in the building who would be getting a discount next month. Well, chock it up to me being distracted or just plain gullible, but I never even thought for a second that it was a scam. He seemed like he was merely performing a check, not anything more. He then proceed to tell me that I was, in fact, one of the lucky ones, and that I’d be seeing a 7% discount starting next month (all the while making notations on my bill, supposedly indicating where the savings would come from).

He told me he just needed my signature to verify that we had spoken. It wasn’t until he asked for a second signature that I got suspicious. Ya see, the second signature was on a form that he covered up completely except for the signature line. When I pulled up the sheet to read what I was signing, he pulled it back real fast and started mumbling an obviously rehearsed sales pitch about what it supposedly was.

Fortunately, I wised up and caught the scam and sent him on his way. The whole experience, however, was BEYOND SHADY! They are not attempting to run anything legitimate (or at least this guy wasn’t).

— BEN POPKEN

RELATED: Our undercover investigation into IDT Energy

Comments

1. Uriel says:

Why didn’t you yell rape, and punch him in the face?

2. Kung Fu Cantona says:

from their website, the job description is exactly like we have been reading about.

Careers at IDT Energy

At IDT Energy, we know that our employees are our strength – and that every staff member contributes to building our future success. Our energy business adds value to the customer experience, so we can deliver and offer superior services at cost efficient and competitive prices.

To achieve seamless efficiency in our working process, we need to adapt to our customers ever changing needs. and anticipate future requirements; which, makes for a dynamic and challenging environment, with opportunity for promotion.

We focus on our employees, to ensure they grow with us enabling both of us to consistently provide a first-class service. We provide training and personal development programs, and offer an extensive remuneration package.

For more information about careers at IDT Energy contact us – Today!

3. exkon says:

Pull a citizen’s arrest, that would be quite amusing.

4. mantari says:

And here I thought this was going to be a story about an IDT salesperson caught on Google’s Street View.

5. bluegus32 says:

Other than the Consumerist, are there any official investigations into these people? Why hasn’t anyone filed for an injunction to stop these people?

6. larrybike says:

Always ask for a Con Ed photo ID card. All employees have one and usually display it visibly.

7. jwarner132 says:

@bluegus32:

Probably the reason why there isn’t a case against them yet for lying about being ConEd is because it’s not official policy. If you’ve been following the undercover investigation, the Midtown people made it perfectly clear to Brian that he had to identify himself as an IDT employee and not as a ConEd employee. I think his badge and lanyard even said so too. Also, one of the things on the sheet that customers are supposed to initial says something along the lines of “The salesman identified himself as an IDT employee and is not with ConEd” (the salesman in the above article probably had that covered up with the sheet like Jeremy said). So basically if anyone accuses IDT or DS-Max of deceiving people, they can say it’s not official policy and blame it on the employee who lied.

Now anyone who’s worked for a shady retailer knows that managers always tell you to do stuff that’s not official policy. The stores always seem to get away with it too; otherwise, Best Buy wouldn’t still be in business.

8. Seth_Went_to_the_Bank says:

Just remember that no one who clearly understands the IDT’s offer would actually sign up.

So IDT’s inevitable excuse about “rogue salespeople” doesn’t really add up.

9. Smegzor says:

LoL Conned :)

10. royal72 says:

think it’s time for a good ol’ fashioned alert system through modern technology. where ever these jokers show up, the person being targeted, can stall the lying rat bastard… err, sales person, till the posse arrives with bats and clubs.

11. crankymediaguy says:

Pretend you’re walking away from the bastard, then, when he gets to the top of the stairs, put a foot against the small of his back and push forcefully. Oops, you slipped, Mr. IDT Guy.

New York Street Justice!

12. Kornkob says:

So– did the lynch mob find this guy and immolate him?

13. synergy says:

“A reading living on the Upper East Side”

Shouldn’t that read “A reader…”?

14. ThanksAdam says:

Jesus, I have to audition? I only wanted to tell the world about IDT confusing my husband by going down in our cellar and saying “something isn’t right here” and that “you have 2 meters” (uh, yeah, one for GAS) (etc. Ok, he’s English, he doesn’t have a clue who does what over here), totally bamboozled him. I was livid when I got home and found out, and had to spend 45 minutes on the phone waiting to tell them that I, as the person whose name is actually on the bill, declined to join their little world. The woman who finally answered the phone assured me we would not be signed up after all. Hmmm… last bill I got sure enough said electricity supplied by IDT. I just phoned again, they said it will take between 30 and 60 days for me to get back to ConEd. Seriously shady.

15. shhhush says:

I didn’t sign anything and clearly refused to be invovled, and I still got a letter from Con Edison congratulating me for switching to IDT.

I am absolutely livid myself. The man identified himself as ConEdison and referred to the company as “we”. Fine, so he lies. But I clearly did not fall for this, but my signature was forged. This company needs to be taken down.

16. Anonymous says:

One of these people just showed up at my apartment today trying to get me to show him my bill. He was very aggressive in trying to convince me to save money and I was as polite as I could be. I did a Google search and here I am reading about this scam! Thanks for covering this.

If it helps anyone, I live in Forest Hills. Be careful folks!