Time To Go Strawberry Picking!

Picking your own strawberries is fun, not terribly expensive, and now is the time to do it. Don’t know where to go for strawberry picking fun near you?

Pickyourown.org is an extensive (no, really) list of pick your own produce farms across the US. The choices don’t stop at strawberries, there are also blueberry and blackberry farms…. Mmmm. All this talk about berries has made us hungry. —MEGHANN MARCO

PickYourOwn [via BuzzFeed]
(Photo: ordinarygirl)

Comments

1. TheBigLewinski says:

I usually pick-my-own in the morining when I wake up, but they are always green and slimey….

2. acambras says:

Those places are great. They are inexpensive and fun, like Meghann said. The place we’ve been to has berries, apples, peaches, pears, pumpkins — whatever is in season at that time of the year.

I often see big families there, with lots of kids. An economical way to entertain them, and even have wholesome food to take home later. I think it’s also a good way to teach kids that fruit comes from trees or vines, not from shrink-wrapped styrofoam plates at the supermarket.

3. OnceWasCool says:

Boy that Mexican in the picture sure is short

4. Elara says:

It may be a little late for strawberry picking for anywhere south of Maryland. We went the first week of May this year(I’m in Virginia), and usually by the first week of June it’s too hot for them, and those that are left are kinda icky. But blueberry season is about to start.

We usually pick about 10-15 lbs of strawberries whe we go (it’s surprisingly easy to fill up those baskets they give you) and I freeze most of them to use over the course of the year. At $2.25-2.40 a lb. it’s usually much cheaper than buying them from the grocery store. And you can stuff your face as you pick.

5. ckilgore says:

http://www.localharvest.org is a good place to find local farms for this sort of thing. i didn’t see on their that they specifically list u-pick farms, but you can always call if you see a good place.

6. mopar_man says:

Wow. The stuff on that site is outdated by 2 years where I am (UP of MI): “Our First Picking Will be Wednesday June 29, 2005.” It’s still handy to see if the places are still in business though. My wife and I went and picked some last year. We made strawberry jam (about a dozen jars) and still had about half a gallon to freeze. I think it cost us $10 for the strawberries and whatever it cost for the jars. Overall much cheaper and better-tasting than store bought.

7. mopar_man says:

@ckilgore:

That website is even older. Aug. 2000 was when those were last updated.

8. Chicago7 says:

Acidic and too much sugar, like most fruit.

9. ElizabethD says:

Love strawberry-picking. It will be at least 3 weeks, though, before New Englanders get their chance.

10. AcidReign says:

…..You have to be wary of “pik yer oan” places this year in Alabama. We had a late Easter freeze that killed a lot of buds, and then we’re currently at about a sixteen inch rain deficit, with no relief in sight. You generally pay a fee at those places, then a low rate per pound picked. I’m hearing, this year, that people pay the entry fee, and then can find no fruit among the wizened, brown, scraggly weeds and dust.

…..The grocery stores were LOADED with cheap strawberries about a month ago, but any you find now will cost an arm and a leg!

11. dohtem says:

These places are great. They let kids eat the berries they pick.

12. Youthier says:

It’s been six years since I picked any sort of produce. That would be when I got a “real” job and was relieved of my farm duties to the family.

But if you didn’t spend your childhood in forced labor, I can see how it would be fun and educational for kids. I was amazed by the people I met in COLLEGE who were incredibly smart but had no idea how their food grew.

13. ckilgore says:

@mopar_man: i think each farm or business updates their own information on localharvest.org. For this farm near where I live it says last updated Jan. 24, 2006: http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M1591

Not exactly up-to-the minute, but it’s a start.