Cancel Time! T-Mobile Rate Change Starts Today

A T-mobile text message rate change that just went into effect means that customers can cancel their contract without early termination fee.

While some fees are decreasing, others are increasing. Sending a text message from US to Canada goes up 5 cents to 15, as will the charge for receiving one while roaming internationally.

These constitute what are known as material changes to contract, which void the contract for both parties and make it so they can’t charge you the usual $175 fee if you try to cancel service.

Read this for how to go about it, and here’s how to keep your same number. — BEN POPKEN

PREVIOUSLY:
T-Mobile Confirms You Can Cancel Without Fee Over Texting Price Increase
Materially Adverse Clauses For All Major Cellphones – So You Can Escape Contract Without Termination Fee

Important information about new messaging rate [T-Mobile]
(Photo: FastFords)

Comments

1. hypnotik_jello says:

T-Mobile still has the most reasonable prices for plans in my opinion, and they don’t seem to suck nearly as hard as verizon in terms of customer service. Their data plans are very reasonable. And if you do any amount of serious texting (more than 20 a month) you should be considering one of those bundles anyway.

2. davere says:

T-Mobile has been great to me. Good prices, great customer service. I wonder how many people will take advantage of this opportunity vs. when this happens with Cingular, Verizon, etc.

3. quagmire0 says:

Yup. Tmobile is still $10 cheaper a month than AT&T and $20 cheaper a month than Verizon for me. I’ll probably stick with them as long as they allow me to keep this plan I’ve had since the beginning.

4. yg17 says:

T-Mobile’s still cheaper than the competition and they have awesome service and coverage. Switching over this is stupid, especially when all other carriers charge 15 cents to send and receive texts

5. Anonymous says:

Told that this doesn’t affect me because I have unlimited text message

Told I had 30 days, ending May 26th, to address the ETF.

6. Anonymous says:

@thbarnes: Then I pushed the international text messaging rate changes.

7. ptkdude says:

@thbarnes: You have 30 days from the date the price change goes into effect, not 30 days from when they notify you of the price change. This is regardless of what they said in their notice.

8. dscosson says:

Does anyone know if I would be eligible for campaigns/special pricing etc. if I cancel service under this change and then reconnect with T-Mobile?

Or is there some sort of waiting period, i.e. 30 or 60 days?

9. dscosson says:

I basically am considering doing this because I have two and a half years or so remaining on a contract due to past stupidity. So I was considering doing this in order to reconnect with a one-year contract.

Do you guys think it would be a good/bad idea to bring that up when talking to customer service, i.e. something along the lines of “Want to keep my business? Reduce my contract length…” or something…

Just want some opinions.

10. oneTee says:

the difference between t mobile’s customer service and verizon’s, can’t even be described in words. I had verizon and switched to t mobile just for the customer service. I was also told by an employee at the verizon store that they don’t care about customer service because they don’t care if they keep you as a customer since they have such a large network. so far i really like t mobile.

11. jhb84058 says:

@ptkdude: Is there any information you can give me on how to back that up (regarding “you have 30 days from the date the price change goes into effect”). I’ve tried the reps and supervisors at T-mobile today, and they all say I only had 30 days from the day of the notice WHICH I NEVER RECEIVED!

12. jhb84058 says:

Did anyone even get a notice in the mail from T-mobile about this?

13. Jimmy M says:

I’m on the phone with them now getting the same runaround. ’30 days from the notice in my bill, which would have gone out latest april 10th’.

I told her I have electronic bills and she’s now “checking” when I would have received that electronically.

14. Jimmy M says:

After almost 20 minutes on hold while she ‘researched’ she came back and told me I was not elidgable because they sent out a notice individually of my online billing.

I never got that.

Here comes call number 2.

15. Jimmy M says:

Same runaround rep #2 – she is transferring me to cancellations so they can attempt to charge me the ETF.

16. Jimmy M says:

According to them they sent notice on their website to all e-bill customers.

According to them as well they have _no way of tracking_ that you saw it on their website.

Still no luck.

Call #3…

17. Jimmy M says:

After summarizing calls one and two I’m on hold again.

I went through EVERYTHING already being offered and said from the previous reps so that has shortened this phone call considerably.

Let’s see what happens… more to come.

18. Jimmy M says:

This one sent me to a supervisor. According to her this would not effect me because I had a 400 txt messaging plan and it would not effect me yet.

Another lie.

She offered me a customer care fax or mailing address. She would not give up a phone number.

So – no luck here, 3 CSR’s, one cancellation rep, and a supervisor.

Booo.

19. tmobcsr says:

@thbarnes:

International text messages didn’t increase – the only change to international messaging was a decrease in cost to send a picture message while roaming internationally. It went down from 25 ents to 15 cents.

I’m a cancellation rep at T-Mobile myself, and can confirm the last day the waiver of the ETF was applicable was May 26th – 30 days after the final notices went out.

20. dscosson says:

@tmobcsr: can you explain why customers only have 30 days to act? can you show me where it states in my contract that i have only 30 days after notification, not after the actual change?

21. phate says:

Anyone know if its possible to get out using this if you have the unlimited message plan? Can I say that I was planning on getting rid of the ulimited plan as I don’t use it and then found out about the hike?

22. Jimmy M says:

@phate: it seems that after may 26th we were all SOL – regardless of if or when we actually got a notice of the rate hike.

23. justarep says:

@blankfaze: I can explain why there’s only 30 days. From the T-Mobile Terms & Conditions ( [t-mobile.com] ):
    3. Changes to the Agreement or Charges. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LAW, IF WE: (A) INCREASE THE CHARGES INCLUDED IN YOUR MONTHLY RECURRING ACCESS RATE PLAN, OR (B) MODIFY A MATERIAL TERM OF OUR AGREEMENT WITH YOU AND THE MODIFICATION WOULD BE MATERIALLY ADVERSE TO YOU, WE WILL NOTIFY YOU OF THE INCREASE OR MODIFICATION AND YOU CAN CANCEL THAT SERVICE WITHOUT PAYING A CANCELLATION FEE (WHICH IS YOUR ONLY REMEDY) BY FOLLOWING THE CANCELLATION INSTRUCTIONS IN THE NOTICE. IF YOU DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SERVICE BY FOLLOWING THOSE INSTRUCTIONS, OR YOU OTHERWISE ACCEPT THE CHANGE, THEN YOU AGREE TO THE INCREASE OR MODIFICATION, EVEN IF YOU PAID FOR SERVICE IN ADVANCE. IF THE NOTICE DOES NOT SAY HOW LONG YOU HAVE TO CANCEL, THEN IT IS WITHIN 14 DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF THE NOTICE, UNLESS A LONGER PERIOD IS REQUIRED BY LAW.

I don’t necessarily agree with it, but…there’s the T&C you agreed to by using T-Mobile service. I’m a T-Mobile Customer Care rep; my job is at once to look out for my customers and help them save money and have great service, and to enforce the rules set down by the company.

24. thas111 says:

If you are a customer service rep please tell me where and how the notice look like because i never got anything….and are in the process of terminate my account. i dont have unlimited or any messaging service.

25. serpicolugnut says:

I tried canceling with Tmobile last week using the increase in SMS fees as the excuse. I was told that the notice went out in the Feb/Mar phone bills, and that I had until May 25th to get out without penalty.

When I explained that I never saw it on my phone bill (they obviously put it deep in the bill, on the back of some page), the rep basically said “sorry, nothing I can do for you”, and then tried to talk me in to staying.

The fact that Tmobile’s ETF is a fixed $200 really irks me. At least Cingular had theirs prorated depending upon the remainer of your contract.

26. stillmobile9902 says:

TMobile seems to care about customer service. In 5 years, they have supplied me with 2 new phones at no charge and settled my disputes with acknowledgement of their error and a special gift. I in turn apologized when I was wrong and continue a mutually satifying agreement with the. The rates are not bad either

27. khill says:

It amazes me that after hours of reading up on TMobile on this site I attempted to cancel my service using the text msg rate increase as an excuse. When in reality I hate their service and their POS phones. I got the response that I had thirty days from the date they sent the notice to cancel without an ETF. Problem is I NEVER GOT A NOTICE. If I hadnt seen it on this site ( THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE) I would still be in the dark. I tried so hard to get it cancelled without an ETF and even asked for the “preferred plans” The best they would do for me is change me to another plan without restarting my contract. UGHHH! I want OUT!

28. bowersst says:

I tried to cancel my account, but they said T-mobile sent me a notice which required me to reply within 30 days. The 30 day period had passed, so they said that I could no longer quit without an ETF.
    I asked the rep for proof that this legal notice reached me (tracking number). She said that they had no such proof. I think this is a HUGE loophole that someone with legal knowledge should look into. It seemed to stump the rep. How can they say that my 30 day period is over when they cannot prove I received the notice?

29. curlymoe says:

I just canceled T Mobile service because I realized that the coverage just was too spotty to be practical for business. So I called to cancel 2 days past the 14 day trial. I got hit with the $200 ETF. I absolutely admit that I lost track of the time because I was so busy, so I am not whining. Ever send a check a few days late to a credit card because, dammit, we’re all human? And usually, if you’re not a deadbeat, they will give you a break once. It’s called customer relations. I give my honest customers reasonable breaks every day. But, I’m sorry, $200 is over the top. A Cust Service supervisor said there are absolutely no exceptions and, oh by the way, website or 800# sign-ups get 20 days trial and CA residents get 30 days. I’m sorry, that’s a lousy way to do business.

So I paid them for the time I used, refused in writing to pay the ETF and wrote a complaint to the NYS Attorney General. AG forwarded a complaint to TMobile asking for the matter to be reviewed, but promised me nothing. I got nervous about my credit rating and sent a $200 check. Figured it was all I could do.

Well, guess what? I got a call today from TMobile cust relations telling me I was wrong, wrong, wrong, but they would wave the fee. The lesson is, spend 20 minutes filing a complaint with Att General or some state public utilities agency. It may not work, but give it a shot. Apparently, TMobile CAN be motivated to bend.