200 More Sickened by Recalled Salmonella Peanut Butter

Look, we don’t know how else to say this. Throw away the m*therf***ing recalled peanut butter! You’re making us crazy! Stop getting sick! STOP IT!

If you have peanut butter in your house that says “Peter Pan or “Great Value” and has a code on the lid beginning with 2111, THROW IT OUT. Do not eat it. It has salmonella. They haven’t made any more of the peanut butter, and yet, people are still getting sick from it. It was recalled in February. It is now June. THROW THE DAMN PEANUT BUTTER AWAY. Don’t make us come over there and throw it out for you.—MEGHANN MARCO

628 Sickened by Recalled Peanut Butter [Chicago Tribune]
(Photo: stopnlook)

Comments

1. Amsterdaam says:

From here on out, it’s Darwin’s Law

2. pjj says:

Why are you advising people to throw it out? They should return it to the store from which they purchased it for a full refund!

3. TedSez says:

Okay, fine, I’m picking it up right now and getting rid of… mmmmm, peanut butter.

4. catnapped says:

@pjj: I wouldn’t trust them to not put it back on the shelves (especially if it’s Smiley Mart you’re returning it to)

5. Optimistic Prime says:

It might be coming from a food pantry (like a church or shelter). I can’t imagine my former church actually checking to see what they give out had been recalled or not. Though well intentioned, not the brightest bunch of people.

6. dohtem says:

Sadly not everyone is as informed as we are.

7. mantari says:

I’ve been sickened by the Salmonella outbreak. I’m sick of not being able to find my honey peanut butter. That stuff is awesome on sandwiches.

8. silencedotcom says:

I don’t want to throw it out. Why don’t YOU come and throw it out for me? While you’re at it, clean out the rest of my expired/recalled food items. Thanks, Consumerist!

9. GarretN says:

Thank god for consumerist. As dohtem says, not everyone was aware of this. Upon reading this “update” on the outbreak, I went to my kitchen and grabbed three jars of this peanut butter from my pantry, all 3 were recalled for this.

They are now going in to the garbage, and I’m very happy I read consumerist.

10. Buran says:

Uh, screaming and cursing at US isn’t going to help.

11. SexCpotatoes says:

Screaming and cursing at the US is what all the liberal blogs do nowadays…

12. brendahamLincoln says:

Damn it, when will it end?!? Peter Pan was my favorite brand of peanut butter. Skippy is inferior. Bah to Skippy I say! Bah! Nutella and jelly isn’t the same. :(

13. Buran says:

@SexCpotatoes: “Us” as in this audience.

14. Spider Jerusalem says:

Mmm. Store brand.

Now I wanna go buy peanut butter. I have honey…

15. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

So…. If there isn’t a code on my PB what do I do? I don’t want Ben to come to my house and yell at me if I get Salmonella. I’m fragile.

16. mopar_man says:

@dohtem:

This is because Wal-Mart probably doesn’t have a notice up that it was recalled. They probably just removed it and restocked with non-salmonella’ed PB.

As for the people still eating this stuff, consider where they bought it from. Can they be that intelligent if they shop at Wal-Mart? I’m not surprised there’s still people out there eating this.

17. GitEmSteveDave says:

@pjj: You can send the lid back to Con-Agra, and they will send you a refund. That limits the chances of a re-stock as you’re only returning the lid.

On a side note, I ate two or three jars BEFORE they announced the recall. I found my lids, and I want to send them for the refund. Does anyone have advice on how to “prove” that I had the lids and sent them in, just for the slight chance I possibly develop a condition from having HAD eaten it? Otherwise, they have the lids, and can claim I never sent them in.

18. EggGoBoom says:

There is a lawyer (Jim Adler “The Texas Hammer”) out of Houston who is running TV spots to save the jar and call him. Cha-ching!

19. davidfbecker says:

This is just nature taking care of the stupids. I say let it happen!

20. Buran says:

@brendahamLincoln: So, uh, buy some Peter Pan that doesn’t have that lot number?

21. Buran says:

@GitEmSteveDave: You ate the jars? I’d be worried about internal glass cuts. ;)

Suggestion: place them on a photocopy machine along with a piece of paper with your name and the date and etc. on it before you send them and keep the photocopy as proof.

This also works with computer scanners, if you have one of those.

22. mattcoats says:

I was recently in Honduras for a few months, Roatan specifically. The grocery stores all sold the salmonella version of Peter Pan peanut butter. When it was pointed out to the local authorities they shrugged it off and said there were no laws being broken. No laws being broken for selling tainted food products? Bless you Honduras. I did get sick from the peanut butter (I’m the next generation of daredevils). Big deal, you have the runs for a week, feel bloated, then it passes along with the extra 5lbs you gained from eating like crap. A little salmonella never hurts anyone. Well, maybe poor people.

23. darkfyre says:

I miss peter pan peanut butter so much!

24. arachnophilia says:

ok, i feel stupid now. i’ve been eating the salmonella peanut butter.

(and i’m absolutely fine)

25. bohemian says:

We quit eating commercial peanut butter right before this all happened. We make our own in the blender. It tastes way better but doesn’t have the creamy window caulk consistency you get used to from commercial peanut butter.

I put a bit more peanut oil in it.

26. LandruBek says:

Meghann, you crack me up! :-D

@bohemian: About making your own homemade PB: I’ve heard this is hell on a blender. I love DIY, and PB, but I’m afraid to burn up the motor.

Anybody know if this rumor is true?

27. CumaeanSibyl says:

@mopar_man: Careful there, your class bias is showing.

28. rmz says:

@LandruBek: If you have a food processor, use that instead of a blender. They’re a little better-equipped to handle solid chunks of food without killing the motor.

29. brendahamLincoln says:

I would love to buy some Peter Pan with a different non-diseased batch inside, but the grocery stores I go to aren’t stocking it again yet. That’s why I’m stuck with inferior brands.

30. kimsama says:

@GitEmSteveDave: You shouldn’t worry — salmonellosis kicks in pretty much right away (from a few hours to a couple days after you eat the contaminated food). If you didn’t just finish a jar and then lick the stamp to send in the lids, you’re fine.