The Best Damn Sandwich Shop In Brooklyn

We’re slightly in love with Tempo Presto’s sopressata sandwiches, so we decided to go in with a camera. We also wanted to know why the owner publicly dressed down one of the employees for over-sprinkling oregano on a salad a few weeks ago. Some of our readers thought we were jerks for praising this kind of “mean” quality control, but you don’t understand, these sandwiches are amazing, and they’re only $7.

When Michael Fiore, the earl of sandwich, was building his restaurant, Tempo, he found there was no good sandwich place around. So in the extra space next door, he decided to open his own, to feed his employees and the neighborhood (not a bad marketing strategy either, to offer a down-market version of their high-quality product). The result is Tempo Presto, located at 256 5th Ave in Brooklyn, which brings the same intense attention to detail from Michael’s kitchen to the lowly sandwich. — BEN POPKEN

Videography by Alex Goldberg.

PREVIOUSLY:
High Standards Maintained At Tempo Presto Sandwich Shop
Make It Nice Or Make It Twice

Comments

1. Islingtonian says:

but where in brooklyn is it?

2. Chicago7 says:

Another place to stand in line for an hour for a sandwich? Not worth it,IMHO.

3. B says:

I thought the previous post was about too much dressing, not too much oregano, and I voiced my displeasure about premade salads with dressing making the lettuce soggy and gross. Since I can see the dressing is served on the side, and too much oregano on the salad would make it disgusting, so I want to retract my previous complaints.

4. Ben Popken says:

@Chicago7: You don’t have to wait at all. You just walk in and order a sammich.

5. Hawkins says:

This is an interesting video, but may I offer a small constructuve criticism to your camera-person? Hold the fucking camera STILL. It’s hard, but it’s worth doing.

6. homerjay says:

So is this a new strategy for getting free lunch around town now?

7. B says:

@homerjay: It’s a more ethical way of getting free food than buying the sandwich and asking for your money back because you’re not satisfied. Still, it’s against journalistic ethics to accept free food in a review.

8. homerjay says:

Yeah but Ben has pointed out on more than one occassion that he isn’t a journalist but ‘just a blogger’

9. Ben Popken says:

@B: I paid for my sandwich at the end of the shoot.

10. ElizabethD says:

Oh thanks for talking about Brooklyn lunch goodness. Now I (hundreds of miles away) have to settle for my boring, low-fat turkey sandwich brought from home. Waaaaah.

11. Tonguetied says:

It’s good to have someone who insists on high standards. It can sometimes lead to a clash of personalities and hard feelings if you take it personally but I appreciate where he is coming from in insisting on the best. Business like his that mostly depend on word of mouth to advertise want their customers’ experiences to be something they will tell their friends about in a positive way.

12. gwong says:

That’s a mighty fine looking sandwich – time for lunch!

13. oldhat says:

Only $7!

Wow, that’s way better than those overpriced $8 samiches!

Seriously, impress me with a $5 samich. And if it ain’t hot, it ain’t no samich, son.

14. Amsterdaam says:

Jesus H Christ, you have some nasty readers. It’s a holiday weekend, cheer up!

15. hop says:

just curious,why didn’t he have two gloves??

16. WindowSeat says:

When I’m in The Slope, I head to A&S Pork Store just down the street at 274 5th Ave. Great meat, fantastic sammiches.

17. Amsterdaam says:

@hop: Why does the sun rise in the east? Why are flies attracted to poo?

Such is the Mango

18. Alicia says:

@Islingtonian It’s in Park Slope on 5th Avenue (see address). There’s another location also in Park Slope, on 7th Avenue and 3rd St.

19. vincedotcom says:

Get a sammiches for Lindsey and the Olsen twins ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

20. IC18 says:

Next time I am in brooklyn to visit the folks, I’ll stop by and try’em out.

21. MercuryPDX says:

That’s one of the “food” things I miss now that I moved out here – The oversized NY Deli Sammich.

A half pound of meat, a quarter pound of cheese, on a kaiser roll…

Subway is a VERY poor substitute.

22. DAK says:

Still not sure why any of this makes it ok for employees to be treated like crap.

23. Michael says:

@homerjay:
    Trust me, he doesn’t have to point it out…it’s pretty obvious.

24. EtherealStrife says:

@Ben Popken: The video makes you look like a freeloader. :)

Wow $7 for a sandwich? Ouch. You must be paying for the presentation (that’s one fancy sandwich). I’m spoiled on my 4 (banh mi) for $5 at a local vietnamese deli.

Lee’s is another place that has some great sandwiches, but they’re getting ridiculously expensive for a chain. I used to eat at one across the street from my campus, but their ideal location allowed them to jack the prices up every couple months.

For those that live in Southern California the Gypsy Den has killer rabbit-food sandwiches. I usually require a little more (/some?) animal in my sandwiches, but theirs are incredible.

25. limiter says:

I’d pay $7 for that sandwich. Looks damn good.

I don’t know where the rest of you live but a

26. EtherealStrife says:

@limiter: All the places I listed cook their bread fresh, daily. Heck, I often buy my bread from Lee’s Sandwiches. Great baguettes. And all the places are sub $5. One’s even $1.25 (!!!) and every bit as appealing as the presto sandwich.

Try looking harder, I doubt cheap sandwiches are unique to California. :) As with most meals, the best priced places do not do sandwiches as their main business.