Recall Round-Up: Your Toddler Could Be Drowning Right Now

Let’s all do the safety dance, it’s time for the CPSC Recall Round-Up:

CPSC Warns Toddler Drownings Happen Quickly and Silently
“Parents may think that if their child falls in the water, they will hear lots of splashing and screaming, and that they will be able to come to the rescue,” CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord said. “Many times, however, children slip under the water silently. Even people near the pool often report hearing nothing out of the ordinary.”

Off-Road Motorcycles Recalled Due to Fuel Leak
KTM has received 5,114 reports of leaking fuel tanks. CPSC has received one report of a minor chemical burn due to fuel coming into contact with a consumer’s skin. Units: About 20,800

AAFES Recalls “Soldier Bear” Toy Sets Due to Lead Poisoning Hazard
Surface paints on the toy action figures contain high levels of lead Units: About 3,000

Bookspan Recalls Discovery Bunny Books Due to Choking Hazard
The seam on the bunny’s left hind leg can open exposing a plastic squeaker toy contained inside a cloth bag, posing a choking hazard to young children. Units: About 16,000

Mervyns Recalls Children’s Capri Pants Due to Choking Hazard; Sold Exclusively at Mervyn’s Stores
The buttons inside the waistband of the pants can detach, posing a choking hazard to young children. Units: About 228,000

Troy-Bilt Recalls Children’s Gardening Gloves Due to Lead Poisoning Hazard
The stamp-painted logo on the backside of the gardening gloves contains high levels of lead. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effects. Units: About 80

—MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. Can we put that graphic on a t-shirt?

I’d buy it.

2. VA_White says:

As a military spouse, I can tell you that Soldier Bear crap AAFES pushes at the BX is universally crappy. We never buy it. Even the packaging looks cheap and dangerous. I am .00005% shocked that some of that detritus has been recalled.

When we lived overseas, our Christmas gifts all came from teh intarwebs or our parents sent them from the states.

3. JRuiz47 says:

I wouldn’t be as shocked to learn that my toddler was drowning since I would be more shocked to learn that I had a toddler.

4. roche says:

Look at the bright side, they don’t cry underwater

5. Myron says:

Title reminds me of ads for the local news.

A common household item could kill your child at any moment!!! Tune in tonight at eleven to find more about this deadly product.

6. Recury says:

They probably just drown themselves to get out of all that gardening work.

7. scoobydoo says:

Lead laced paint toy recalls are getting out of hand. CPSC has at least one a week.

I can understand that some Chinese companies don’t give a crap about little American kids, but the US firms that purchase and distribute this junk should be more cautious of what they are importing. But somehow I suspect that the cost of a recall isn’t all that high for them as most people don’t bother to check the CPSC website, or bring back their $1 toy.

There should be very stiff penalties for companies that sell lead paint toys, I’d say a $1 million fine will ensure they don’t attempt this again.

8. s00p3rm4n says:

@roche: Or at least you don’t have to listen to that incessant whining! GOD.

“CPSC Warns Toddler Drownings Happen Quickly and Silently”

… and hilariously.

“Children slip under the water silently. Even people near the pool often report hearing nothing out of the ordinary.”

This only proves my point that we must sterilize the deaf.

9. Trai_Dep says:

Of course we all know, Men’s Capri pants form their own kind of choking hazard. (wink wink, nudge nudge)

10. Yozzie says:

Ironic – while all that lead’s getting expended in the Middle East, even the soldier toys are full of it.

The “capri pants of death” headline reads like something out of the Onion. And just what the hell are kids up to nowadays that this is a significant risk?

11. legerdemain says:

Poor Troy-Bilt. They created a product, brought it to market, and only managed to move eighty of them? And worse, now they have to recall those?

12. erica.blog says:

@Yozzie: “And just what the hell are kids up to nowadays that this is a significant risk?”

Small toddlers like to chew on their clothing, and buttons look like candy when you’re 2.

I’m surprised there’s only one brand that’s onsidered a risk for buttons coming off, most toddlers can bite through thread pretty well if they put their mind to it…

13. Televiper says:

@s00p3rm4n:

My daughter slipped and her head went under the water (in the bathtub) when she was 18 months. I was sitting right beside her so I was able to stand her up within a couple seconds. But, for 2 seconds I just saw frozen terror in the poor kids eyes. The statement that “toddlers drown silently” doesn’t surprise me in the least. They simply lack a protective response to the situation.