What Is "Lemon Law?"

Did you know that if something you own is defective and you get it repaired three times for the same problem, you may be entitled to a free replacement under “lemon law?”

Every state has its own lemon law statute, but all consumers are protected under the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Lemon laws often involve cars, but some states have lemon laws covering all goods. California’s lemon laws even cover toasters.

If you have a product that’s failing even after a couple of repairs, you might want to check out lemon law info by state. — BEN POPKEN

(Photo: borabora)

Comments

1. bv says:

Finally, great news for xbox 360 owners!

2. kadath217 says:

The FindLaw page has an outdated link for Indiana. The new URL is http://www.indianaconsumer.com/consumer_guide/lemon_law.as

3. pestie says:

Bad news for Apple, I’m guessing. Heh…

4. ElizabethD says:

Hey, you stole those lemons right outta my fridge!!!

5. BritBoy says:

@pestie: My ‘lemon’ iBook was replaced with a Powerbook after two failed repairs by Apple. What was becoming an awful series of blunders was turned into a great customer service experience by an Apple genius. Way to go; turning a bad into a good experience.

Genius guy :
    - we are really sorry, this shouldnt be happening and its not good enough. We are not going to repair that iBook again. Here is a brand new, powerbook; if you’d like to wait we’ll transfer the data for you…

6. OnceWasCool says:

I am a 3 time Hyundai owner and I love them, until now. I bought a 2007 SantaFe from my local Hydundai place in Dalton, Georgia. Just a few weeks after I bought it the air bag light came on. They replaced a sensor, and then the light came back on. They replaced another sensor had to be replaced a month later. NOW, the fuse box needs to be replaced due to air bags not working.

So, if you buy a new Hyundai SantaFe, DON”T WRECK IT! :)

7. Danj3ris says:

Hmmmmm. Motorola RAZR with the blanked out screen? 4 times already. Got a different phone. Problem solved, although it would have been nice to have a working RAZR.

8. Hey man, I think those are oranges. Sad sad oranges.

9. texaslemon says:

In Texas, the rebuttable presumption is for 4 unsuccessful attempts for the same defect.

Aside from Texas lemon law and the Magnuson-Moss Act, you may be entitled to treble damages under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act if you can prove intentional or knowing conduct.

My office handles these type of cases very often. http://www.texaslemon.com

10. katana says:

I certainly hope those are oranges.

For junk not under warranty, good luck trying to get ‘em to repair it.

11. creativecstasy says:

My Toshiba laptop went FIVE times through the geek squad desk for the exact same problem, before they’d even let me bring up the subject of lemons. A fight up to store manager later, I left with a brand new Vaio, worth much more than that POS Toshiba…

I love lemon laws.