Support The Credit Card Act Of 2007

The Credit CARD Act Of 2007 is a bill currently before Congress aiming to end some of the credit card industry’s anti-consumer practices. Among H. R. 1461′s proposals:

• Advance notice of interest rate increases
• End universal default clauses, the premise that they can raise your credit card interest rate if your credit score changes
• Prohibit credit cards being issued to minors without a parental signature

There’s a slew of other items in there designed to curtail all the sneaky ways credit card companies rack up fees. We think this is a wonderful bill and hope it gets passed.

Use this online form to easily find your representative and tell them to support this important bill.

— BEN POPKEN

PREVIOUSLY: Meet The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2007
(Photo: Lazy_Lightning)

Comments

1. FromThisSoil says:

I just wrote my representative and I would encourage anyone else to do so. If you don’t know who your house representative is, you can go to http://www.house.gov and look it up.

For anyone who’s lazy, you can copy and paste this message to your representative:

I am contacting you asking you to support the Credit CARD Act of 2007 which was introduced to the house on March 9, 2007.

The purpose of this bill is to amend the Consumer Credit Protection Act to ban abusive credit practices, enhance consumer disclosures, protect underage consumers, etc.

Credit card companies and banks are taking advantage of consumers for their own gain – and it needs to stop.

I would like to see you fully support this bill and see that it does not get watered down by the banking lobby.

2. mroach says:

Now only if they could ban unsolicited credit card offers…

3. mac-phisto says:

@mroach: you can do that now. go to: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

4. mycreditgroup says:

mroach -

To stop unsolicited credit card offers, call 1-888-5-optout. That also prevents credit bureaus from selling your info to collection agents.

5. nick says:

Now if we could just get college freshman to stop signing up for three different credit cards the first week of classes just to get a free t-shirt…

6. Buran says:

@nick: The cards aren’t the problem. I got my first card in college myself. It’s the lack of discipline that gets the kids into trouble. I used my card carefully and always paid it off in full and knew that its purpose was to build a credit history when it later came time to buy a car or otherwise get other types of credit.

Having multiple accounts open for a long time and have lots of available credit is good, so signing up is fine. Running up a ton of debt and not paying it off isn’t.

7. Buran says:

@mac-phisto: What I don’t like about that site is that you have to cough up all kinds of personal info to make the opt-out permanent (which I’ve done). If you can opt out temporarily without the grilling, why can’t you opt out permanently without it?

8. fargle says:

Definitely email your representative! This is huge and a great way to right a few of the wrongs done last year to put the credit card companies on more of a level playing field.

Chase bank used Universal Default to raise my wife’s credit card interest rate to 29.99% based on identity theft on her credit report. After we got it cleaned up, they totally refused to lower her rate. Only because my credit was still good was I able to take out a low-interest loan to close the account. With Universal Default, the credit card companies have no incentive to stop identity theft.

9. spanky says:

Ha ha. I don’t have to tell my representative to support it. He introduced it.

10. Hans_Auff says:

Now see if you’d kept your noses to the grindstone and worked hard, gotten a good education, became self reliant and able to stand on your own two feet, then hired a mouthpiece to file your chapter 13 before Lott and the Klan erased that particular law, then you wouldn’t be in credit card debt.

11. veronykah says:

I tried to tell my representative about it but apparently I don’t have one. The seat is vacant. What does one do in a situation like this? We have no representation?

12. NormBlon says:

Get them to scrap the foreign exchange premium. It’s bad for tourism.

13. mac-phisto says:

@Buran: well, i would assume it’s to make it difficult to opt-out permanently. the crbs make a good deal of their money from the prescreen industry, so i would imagine that they don’t want to make it very easy to cut off their gravy train.

14. MatthewVA says:

Does the bill include anything about interchange fees? We might as well shed some light on all the of the industry’s dirty, dirty little secrets.

(I am working with a group, http://www.unfaircreditcardfees.com, with the hope of achieving greater transparency and disclosure from credit cards)

15. 102415 says:

To those who think it’s easy to get off the lists. I’ve asked four times and I still get the offers. First, it takes about 6 months to kick in. Second, you have to do it for every possible way a piece of mail can get to you, like first name or first initial or second initial or Mrs. or ms and all kinds of slight misspellings. Then you must remember that any bank you have had any dealings with can continue to send you things. I still get piles of the things plus ones for my husband and for my son who hasn’t lived here for over ten years.If you send them back with return on them they end up in your mail twice.

16. bucketgirl says:

Here is my letter:

To the Honorable Jay Inslee:

I am writing to ask you to support the Credit CARD Act of 2007. Because of unfair, deceptive, and unilateral practices of credit card companies, I found myself financially crippled at the age of 25. I owed about $14,000 at an usurious rate of 25%, even though I had never missed or made a late payment.

Such a financial condition restricted me from opportunities, such as buying a home, having children, or going back to school. I believe these simple individual advancements to be invaluable contributions toward the strength of America’s economy and community.

While I am a believer in a free economy, I feel it is the government’s responsibility to be a champion for justice. By having the ability to charge excessive interest rates without provocation, credit card companies commit a grave injustice.

Before I was finally able to pay off my debts, I spent hundreds of dollars a month on interest alone. Credit card companies are eroding individual discretionary purchasing power, which creates an incredible negative impact on the local and national economy.

America faces a huge issue in mounting personal debt. Please make this first step toward justice.

(signature)

17. Sudonum says:

Just e-mailed my Congress Critter.

18. LAGirl says:

@FromThisSoil: thank you for that. i just cut + pasted to Diane Watson (D) California 33rd.

19. MikeTheKat says:

Back about 10 years ago a credit card I had was merged with another bank and I chose to “opt out” of the the terms of use, funny how Fleet chose to jack my rate to 25% when I canceled, as they stated my letter was received 1 day after the deadline. I said funny how it was post marked and I have a return receipt. Fleet didn’t care much then and there was no help. I paid on time and the balance was nothing to buy anyone but at 25% any balance is out of control. I will send this to my reps in DC.