Slideon: The Mp3/Video Player With Sliding iPod Killer Controls

This audio/video player designed by Consumerist Flickr pool member unleashedlive features a sliding control panel that hides under the playing screen, just like with a slider cellphone. The maker of this 3d rendering says it would use flash memory and be chargeable via the headphone jack.

Here’s one in black.

We love our Flickr pool, it is filled with the work of talented, industrious and clever people! — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. minneapolisite says:

If it’s chargeable via the headphone jack, you can’t listen to it while it’s chargin. Boo.

2. Yourhero88 says:

a glorious triumph of form and function…

in other words, we’ll never see anything like it hit the market :P

3. harumph says:

why not sell the design to apple? why try to kill the ipod when you could make it better and possibly make a fortune in the process? or just kill the ipod, it doesn’t matter.

4. bgplpshep says:

I’m with minneapolisite on this one…

Half the time I spend listening to my music player is with it plugged in because I have already drained the battery from hours of listening.

5. I am no genius but wouldn’t charging via headphone jack lead to interference in the sound quality? :> May have to add at least one more port for charging, but other than that I think it’s awesome. I’d buy it.

6. @something_amazing: See… that’s why I prefaced the comment with “i’m am no genius” because certainly you wouldn’t have to worry about interference if you can’t plug in the headphones to charge it.

For some reason my mind was thinking of some proprietary dual headphone/charging … yeah.. that’s it… and I’m a moron :)

7. Quattuor says:

Hmm, it’s an interesting concept, but really, slider phones annoy me to no end. And I generally distrust moving parts as it is.

8. royal72 says:

slow news day ben?… i applaud the effort, but there are some serious issues with the design.
    1) the screen doesn’t make sense since video is either 4:3, 16:9, or an even wider aspect ratio.
    2) the slider is a problematic gimmick at best, for durability and usage. the novelty gets old quick when you wanna hit pause, next, or simply adjust the volume more often than twice an hour.
    3) see other comments above.

to each his own, but i don’t see how this player does anything better than the ipod or numerous other players already out there.

9. The Bigger Unit says:

“It’s a long way…to the top…if you wanna rock ‘n roll!”

10. Ben Popken says:

@royal72: Your face is a slow news day.

11. saikofish says:

@Ben Popken: Your mom is a slow news day! Zing!

I was looking at the links and it looks pretty conceptual. As in, I’m not sure it’s for sale. What are the specs? What music formats would it play? Can I use it as a flash drive? etc.

12. royal72 says:

@Ben Popken: lol, love you too ben.

13. VisualVillain83 says:

Ya sure…. another iPod killer. How many times have we heard that? Wasn’t Zune supposed to kill iPod? Or did the owners of the current zune change their mind and make it Zune 2.0.

14. shad0ws says:

with more practical touchscreen technology on the horizon, isn’t it safe to say that slider keyboards will be going the way of the dodo soon? this would have struck me as a great concept a few years back, but today it seems kinda behind the times…..

then again, conceptual mock-ups of a touchscreen interface aren’t nearly as exciting, i suppose.

15. Harlan says:

Very clever visual design! But being chargable through the headphone jack means you have a charger that looks like a headphone plug. Which inevitably you will stick in your computer, or your dog will lick it and get a jolt, or something. Making a gadget with a plug that is normally electrically neutral and putting a current across it is really bad practical design…

16. nutbastard says:

clamshell with common use buttons (volume, >>,

17. gundark says:

Why not just put the controls on the back of the screen instead of a slider setup. This seems kind of lame to me.

18. raindog says:

Or maybe I’ll just keep using my Nintendo DS as a media player.

19. crayonshinobi says:

Maybe it charges through the headphone jack while you are listening to it! It runs on happy thoughts or your brainwaves or something!

It could happen!

The best part of the design is the little ghost guy. Though, he is a silhouette, so it might be sardonic to put earphones and an ipod on the little guy…

I wish the artist luck, every other mp3 player out there, no matter how superior to the ipod, is either relegated to obscurity or produced by Sony…*shudders*

20. *homerlike gurgling noises @ DS*

21. TechnoDestructo says:

@minneapolisite:

Depends. The Game Boy Advance SP is chargeable through the headphone jack…or rather, headphones plug into the charging jack via an adapter. You can get adapters which allow both to be plugged in at once.