McDonald's Employee Hides Pot Stash In Happy Meal Box, Gives Happy Meal To Child

“Daddy, I got two toys in my happy meal!”

We realize that you have to disguise your stash when you go to work, but hiding your pipe, marijuana and lighter in a happy meal box is a dangerous idea. Why?

You might hand your stash right out the drive through window. That’s what one McDonald’s employee in Ottawa, Illinois did, and as you might imagine, everyone—even the police chief — is laughing at him. The employee is a 17 year-old high school senior, he’s been arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. From FoxChicago:

“Police admit that many in the town find the incident… funny.
Police Chief: “I’d be rather surprised if at any time in the rest of my career I see something like this happen again.”

Oh, Illinois! We miss you and your perpetually stoned populace. —MEGHANN MARCO

Happy Meal Sold With Pot, Pipe and Lighter [MyFoxChicago] (Thanks, Matt!)
(Photo:MyFoxChicago)

Comments

1. quantum-shaman says:

That’s my kinda Happy Meal.

2. amed01 says:

The Hashy Meal…includes XXL beverage!

3. Hawkins says:

I believe that pot should be decriminalized, and then legalized and heavily taxed and regulated.

But for God’s sake, Mr. Stoner, you can’t be handing out pot in Happy Meal boxes.

4. foghat81 says:

Best. Happy. Meal. Ever!

5. otothehout says:

Illinois misses you too! ….wait what were we talking about?

6. Canadian Impostor says:

McDonald’s is just trying to increase sales by turning youngsters into potheads and hoping they get the munchies.

7. B says:

Wasn’t there a case recently where somebody was selling drugs out of the drive thru of a fast-food restaurant? Maybe it was the same thing here, but the orders got mixed up.

8. BII says:

could there be any happier of a meal?

9. gone725 says:

HA!!! A kid that I graduated high school with got arrested in 1997 for selling pot through the McD’s drive through… http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/29/fringe/crime.burger/index.ht

10. pintucked says:

There is no happier a meal. This is the happiest of meals! Lucky kid.

11. slapstick says:

This almost makes me want to go to McDonald’s. Almost.

12. TinaB says:

$2.99 for a twenty sack AND a Happy Meal? Excuse me for just a minute….

13. samuraimonkey says:

well meghan it is ottawa, what do you expect?

14. MentalDisconnect says:

See, I say perfect. Smoke the pot, and then take care of your munchies easily. All pot should come with a snack pack.

15. IndyJaws says:

“While McDonald’s has apologized, the family still may sue…”

But of course…

16. Yourhero88 says:

Wow, I know it’s kind of funny, but this is truly a testament to the ineptitude of our young generation. That kid better get used to working at McDonalds for a VERY long time.

It’s at the point now where nobody even thinks of that stuff as a drug anymore, but it is. And before i get flamed for the previous statement, let me just say that I attended an art school for 4 years, and have seen the myriad stupid shit that the stuff can do to a person…

17. rmz says:

I’m Tokin’ It?

18. TJK Superstar says:

I don’t see the problem. They ordered a Happy Meal right?

What did they want, LSD?

19. othium says:

I read this post and one thing bothered me about it. How did they determine which employee was the one that did it? Just curious..

20. slapstick says:

@othium: It was probably the red-eyed guy who said, “HEY! MY WEED!” when the infuriated parents walked in brandishing the bag!

21. Youthier says:

@Yourhero88: Actually, he better get used to working at Burger King.

22. Meg Marco says:

@samuraimonkey: I expected the parents to shut up and smoke. Maybe they’re secretly from Dixon.

23. GearheadGeek says:

@Hawkins: Thinking you could successfully tax pot is almost as unrealistic as thinking this government would ever decriminalize ANY drug. There’s a reason it’s called “weed”, it grows like one. Taxes on tobacco worked because it’s hard to grow and needs significant infrastructure, you can’t just plant some of your own.

24. mac-phisto says:

@gone725: from the story you linked to (CNN 01/29/97):

“Obviously, this is something we will just not tolerate,” said Jane Hulbert, a spokeswoman for Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald’s. “Certainly this is an isolated situation. We want to make that very clear.”

oh, i don’t know jane. seems to be a recurrent theme here, don’t ya think??

ROFL to the comments though. i’m gonna get fired.

25. samuraimonkey says:

@meghannmarco: i was gonna say Lasalle/Peru.

26. TinaB says:

@GearheadGeek:

Sure you can plant your own pot, but it takes an insane amount of care, and isn’t as easy as say, watering a house plant a couple times a week. And remember, stoners are a lazy folk. It’s much easier to go out and buy something that’s ready to go then to take the time and make it yourself.

27. Meg Marco says:

@samuraimonkey: They’re not from Elgin, that’s for sure.

28. mr.b says:

@meghannmarco:
    @samuraimonkey:

if it didn’t happen in ottowa, i’d be thinkin they’re from homewood or flossmoor…

29. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Shouldn’t they rename that the “Really, Really, REALLY Happy Meal?”

What strange thing will turn up next in a Happy meal? So far we’ve had a condom and a dime bag…what’s next for the hat-trick? Gun? WOMD’s? Crack pipe?

30. @IndyJaws: What the hell can the sue for? Unless their kid smoked it or something I dont understand.

@othium: The kid was stupid enough to confess, I’m sure. As soon as it was gone he probably asked around. Hey, have you seen my stash anywherez??

31. Trai_Dep says:

McDonald’s is TOTALLY missing the chance for the perfect upsell: McBrownies.

32. IRSistherootofallevil says:

I thought they legalized pot in Canada…..or at least controlled rather than completely outlawed. Geez, I saw a marijuana bar in Montreal….

33. brandivicus says:

Legalize Marijuana…Criminalize Republicanism

34. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

Ah… America’s youth working hard.

@TJK Superstar: Maybe the parents are suing because they asked for the half oz. instead of the 8th?

35. Kalik says:

@ IRSistherootofallevil

It’s Ottawa, Illinois not Canada.

36. Raachie says:

@othium: …If you have every worked at a retail place .. or any place for that matter USSSUUAALLLLYY people have employees scheduled to be at a ceirtan station. I couldnt help but scoff at your comment. Sorry

37. Raachie says:

@TinaB: Easy as they say ? In a place called DIAMOND BAR in California where I live, there has been four houses that were gutted just for growing weed. Millions of dollars worth. Just plants. If these people got away with this for a while, I dont see how hard it could be.

38. Musician78 says:

Why does this sort of thing never happen to me?? BTW, Where in Montreal is that pot bar
    ? I am going there this summer, but sure as hell don’t want to get cought at the border with it.

39. Mr. Gunn says:

40. othium says:

@Raachie: No offense taken. When that show “COPS” is on TV I can’t believe the stupid things people confess to when confronted by police.

I have worked in retail and also restaurants and I do know that work stations are assigned to certain people, but if anyone else has access to the same station the only way this person could have been charged is if he confessed. While working as a Home Health Care worker, I found some drugs in a consumers room just sitting out in the open. My supervisor was in the same room talking to me and saw them as well. She called the police and when they showed up he merely confiscated the drugs and asked if anyone else had access to the room and if the door was open when we found it. Yes to both questions. Result: no charges. The officer said since the area where the drugs were discovered had several other people in and out of it that it would be too difficult to charge any specific person and not worth the trouble for a small amount of drugs.

Personally, I couldn’t care less if a quadriplegic has a joint once in a while. I probably would too.