How To: Use Glade Refills On The Oust Fan

Glade Scented Oil Refills Cost $0.15 per ml. Oust refills cost $0.33 per ml. Here is how to get Glade scented oil refills into an Oust Portable Fan. Yay. —MEGHANN MARCO

Glade –> Oust Scented Oil Conversion [Instructables]

Comments

1. quantum-shaman says:

That is so cool. There is nothing like a little consumer product hacking to make my day. But you do know, dontcha, that as soon as they find out about this they will work overtime to put a stop to it.

2. Cool post… I would never use any type of these things. They give me headaches. I just use an air purifier to circulate the air and keep it from getting stale.

3. Kornkob says:

Be wary of some of those ‘air purifiers’. Some of them actually make the air quality worse.

4. Hoss says:

Give rid of stinky felines — save even more!

5. LatherRinseRepeat says:

It might be cheaper to just buy a generic bottle of scented oil, and use a small funnel or eye dropper to refill the Oust bottle.

6. acambras says:

Meh, it seems like they come up with a new “can’t live without” consumable product every week. With the exception of Post-It notes and the Mr. Clean Magic Stain Eraser, I can’t think of any products that have really bowled me over enough to add them to my shopping list.

Want to freshen the air? Open a window.

7. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Wow, and I thought I was cheap! Good tip, nonetheless.

8. Jasmo says:

I think we’d all do better if we stopped buying indoor pollution products from chemical companies.

9. quantum-shaman says:

@acambras:
    (1) Swiffer dusters
    (2) Oxyclean
    (3) Popeil Pocket Fisherman

just kiddin’ on that last one.

10. traezer says:

Um, you know, this stuff is really bad for you. Breathing chemicals all day is not the best idea. Just keep your house clean, and open the windows now and then. Works for me.

11. monaflambe says:

Love the Pocket fisherman! And that spray that makes you look unbald! Best products ever!

12. 44 in a Row says:

Let’s not forget the Cap Snaffler. It snaffles caps off of any size jug or bottle. And it really, really works!

13. acambras says:

@quantum-shaman:

Swiffer dusters — nah.
    Oxyclean — maybe.
    Pocket fisherman — not sure what it is, but I’m intrigued. Does it have anything to do with that Bigmouth Billy Bass?

14. humorbot says:

Uh, victory for the proletariat?

15. suburbancowboy says:

If you want the room to smell nice, take some vanilla extract, out it on a cotton ball and place in a small open container. No awful chemicals in your lungs. Or use soy candles.

16. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

@acambras:
    Pocket Fisherman, a folding fishing rod & reel from either Ron Popeil or his uncle’s company, Popeil Brothers.

17. FLConsumer says:

Stay away from the chemical-based air fresheners. Considering most of the chemical combinations HAVE NOT been tested for their toxicity on humans, I don’t think it’s a risk I’d want to take. I’m with the others — go open a window…or, here’s a novel idea — CLEAN YOUR HOUSE! Vacuum regularly, clean the floors, upholstery/cloth. Clean homes don’t need chemicals to mask the funk — they don’t have funk to need masking.

18. tcabeen says:

Yeah, just a polite PSA … if you use this stuff, it totally grosses me out when I walk into your house. And I generally want to leave as quickly as possible. This also applies to any OTHER chemical air fresheners, including most scented candles. To all the people saying “open a window” or “clean your house”, ignore that stuff. I know you keep a clean, fresh house. You just like a nice scent. To you, my friends, I suggest essential oils or something.

You will likely be shocked by the price, I understand. That’s how these things work. The good stuff costs more. The stuff that gives you cancer is always cheaper.

So back to the point. Your house (and your car, too, most likely) gross me out. I hate being there. I’m just too polite to get all in your face about it.

19. etinterrapax says:

It’s interesting…I suspect a lot of people use these things out of habit. Their mothers did, and their grandmothers did. And their grandmothers did because they actually came from a time when there were odors that couldn’t be erased by cleaning. I mean, seriously, picture it: you have no refrigerator, you use an outhouse, you have farm animals around, you have no automatic washing machine, people don’t bathe much, there’s no such thing as antiperspirant, and people generally do not go to hospitals. So at any given time, you might have someone sick or dying in the house, for weeks or months. This was normal well into the twentieth century.

My point is, quit using the air freshener, clean the house, and appreciate how good we have it without having to mask it all in fake roses or something. Spring rain! That makes me laugh. They could never reproduce that smell.

20. synergy says:

Get rid of carpets! They are some gross keepers of crap. I know I know, you hate sweeping and mopping because vacuuming is so much easier, but have you looked at the stuff that comes up when you wash the carpet with water and soap?? Yuck!!!

And, yes, open some windows for cross-current!

21. Uurp says:

We got rid of our wall-to-wall carpeting and put in wood/tile. Good-bye, smells.

BTW, the Pocket Fisherman is 1970s argot referring to chronic masturbators–those slack-jawed guys you’d see with their hands in their trousers, “reeling in” their “pocket fish.” Sometimes they’d call it “jinglin’ a roll of quarters” or “pickin’ lint at the Pants Plantation.” Of course there was a Popeil product with the same name, but that’s inconsequential.