Deadly Recalled Toy Spotted In California Walmart

A toy that was recalled in March of 2006 after killing a small boy and seriously injuring 2 dozen others is still for sale at a California Walmart according to Reader Kevin.

The toys were recently spotted all over Illinois by Attorney General Lisa Madigan and reporters for the Chicago Tribune. Kevin writes:

Last night I went to our our Wal-Mart in Ridgecrest, CA (#1600) and snapped some pics of the recalled magnet toys. Of the dozen or so different types of “kits” they had on the shelves, only three had the warning label.

I’m sorry they aren’t better looking (on clarity and color) for I was using rather cheap camera.

Your Reader,

Kevin S.

Here’s where it gets confusing.

Magnetix sets with a warning label about the danger of internal injury or death from ingesting the magnets are not part of the recall. These toys are newer and have been redesigned to prevent injury. In older versions, (no special intestine/swallowing warning label) the strong magnets could fall out of the toy.

If more than one is eaten by a child, the magnets attract within the body, causing severe injury and in at least one case, death. The confusion surrounding the “warning label/no warning label” issue has led to several more injuries.

It’s not just a new warning label that they slapped on the box. They redesigned the toy to keep kids from having their intestines ripped apart. The older versions should not be still on shelves. Check your local Target, Walmart, Meijer, Kohl’s and other stores for these toys and send us a picture if you find them, to: tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Make sure they are, in fact, the recalled version by looking for a warning that reads:

“CAUTION: Do not ingest or inhale magnets.
Attraction of magnets in the body may cause
serious injury and require immediate medical care.”

—MEGHANN MARCO

PREVIOUSLY: Deadly Recalled Toy Still Available At Walmart, Target, Kohl’s And More

Comments

1. Triteon says:

For as much as I dislike Wal-Mart, following Hurricans Katrina and Rita they were able to demonstrate a remarkable supply/delivery system in the south…Wal-Marts all over the Gulf Coast were (reportedly) well-stocked within days of the storms.

Apparently Bentonville has figured out how to send trucks laden with goods to their stores, but no ability to fill those empty trucks with recalled merchandise.

2. Triteon says:

…Hurricanes…
    Poor spelling, -1 point.

3. mopar_man says:

That’s what’s great about Wal-Mart and why I continue to shop there. /Sarcasm

4. alfonzotan says:

You guys are letting your Bolshie regulate-everything impulses get out of control. These are great toys (my niece and nephew love them); just don’t be an idiot and give them to a toddler.

5. jrlcopy says:

Before Magnetix bought the good kind of magnets, I used to a ball in my mouth and then use the magnet to move the ball up and down my throat.

:) *kidding

6. neveryona says:

I don’t know if you can use these to attract sarcasm – does anybody know?

7. Huntergreene says:

Many thanks for this update. I though my son’s kits were ok since then had adhesive warning labels add but do not mention the ingestion warning, just a choking hazard for under 3′s. I’d be more humorous is it wasn’t a life threatening recall.

8. r81984 says:

WHO CARES!

What does a warning on a box do to prevent a child from eating the magnets. I am sure that the parent who had their child die or injured from this toy would still have given their child the toy even if there was a warning.

Its a parents reponsibility to inspect and approve toys for their children. A warning label does nothing to relieve parents of this duty.

Any parent that sues over this is a jackass.

9. tcabeen says:

I wanted to get these for my nephew for Christmas. I called my sister to double-check. She laughed in my ear and told me to get them. “My son know better than to swallow magnets. We taught him how dangerous they are.”

I admit that the recall was a bit ambiguous. I had no idea whether I was purchasing a recalled toy or not. Even this post is a bit confusing. First “Magnetix sets with a warning label … are not part of the recall.” Then “Make sure they are, in fact, the recalled version by looking for a warning…”

So wait … were the ones with the warning recalled or not?

10. krunk4ever says:

@alfonzotan: haha. yep. this story totally reminded me of the I’ll Sue You song that was posted yesterday:

All these toys have a recommended age group. If you ignore the warnings and give it to toddlers for playing, then its your fault. Like what Weird Al shows, everything people are suing today are mostly common sense.

11. PyroBor says:

Hey all,

I’m the submitter of this story and thought I’d give you all the update. I took the pics last Friday evening. Yesterday when I was at the Wal-Mart (#1600), they were in the process of taking them down as I walked by the isle.

Wal-mart took down all the sets– even the ones with the proper warning label. Better safe than sorry? …or better late than never?

12. joe6486 says:

Why are they being recalled? Clearly this isn’t a toy for little kids, but our 11-year-old loves playing with them. Why deprive older kids from a fun toy?

You people whine WAY too much.

13. Triteon says:

@joe6486: The magnets are/were falling off and kids are/were swallowing them.

For the record, in my opinion whether your kid(s) eat their toys is less a matter of safety than of evolution. (Now if they are freebasing them (“Do not ingest or inhale magnets” that’s another story.) Somehow we survived sharpened, rusty, metal toys as kids but round magnets now kill.

My thought above was just in regards to Wal-Mart’s inability to take things off their shelves. It makes me wonder– if they can’t recall products properly, what happens if one of their Wal-Docs in the Wal-Clinic loses his medical license?

14. raindog says:

Um, OK, so did none of these parents have Erector Sets when they were kids, or what? Geeeeeez….

15. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

Kids today are so over protected. When I was young we played on swing sets with lead paint, the jungle gyms were over hard ground, had toys that were simple. Now everything is plastic with parts that fall off and kill/harm/maim children. Geez. We need to toughen our kids up.

But it’s not just the kids. Why are parents not practicing common sense? Why would you give toddlers toys like these? What happened to block and toy balls? Why are these parents not watching their kids while they play with toys like these? Don’t be so quick to judge toy companies or Wal-Mart for selling these toys; Look to the parents who do not have “enough” time to supervise what their kid is playing with.

Some people’s children (and parents).

16. Triteon says:

@JesusOnAPogoStick: (threadjack) Stuart, I like you. You’re not like the other people here, in the trailer park.

17. Charles Duffy says:

@r81984: The magnets can only be eaten if they fall out. The new version of the toy (which is packaged in boxes with warning labels) has safeguards intended to prevent the magnets from falling out.

(The little balls aren’t magnets. The magnets are built into the sticks. If they fall out of the sticks and the infant eats them — and ya know, it’s not unheard of for a household to have children with a range of ages — then that’s bad news).

18. Bunnymuffin says:

Kenny Sweet was the name of the little boy that died from these toys. His older sibling had them for only a few days and they weren’t played with around the toddler, not even in the same room. The magnets fell out into the carpet and the baby being a baby, picked them up and ate them. (The magnets are very small.) The magnets twisted the child’s intestines causing tissue death and blood poisoning.

Kenny died because the toy was badly designed, not due to a failing of parenting.

19. delphi_ote says:

This is about Walmart’s control of their supply chain, people. When the largest company in the world with the most stores in our country cannot control what ends up on their shelves, there’s a serious danger for consumers.

Stop showing your senility by complaining about the coddled “kids these days” and how “back in your day” you used to eat paint chips and fall down the stairs for fun. Read the other comments and wake up.

20. geoffybabes says:

As an employee at a Wal-Mart store in the Northeast, I find the difference in the way recalls and POS restrictions are being handled at stores in other parts of the country like night and day.

The day after the Magnetix recall came down, our toys dept. manager pulled every set that was recalled off his shelves and removed them from the sales floor. The same was true with the pet food recall, for days into weeks afterwards as new brands and varieties became involved, the associates were trying their hardest to check every upc and make sure no tainted product was left on the store shelves.

Granted, we’re not perfect, there were a few of the Nazi shirts found after the recall had gone into effect, but nothing like I’ve seen on this site with stacks of them still on shelves weeks and months later.
    Once a recall notice has been received, a POS restriction is put into place immediately, and in the four years I’ve been at this store never once have i seen a manager, hourly or salaried, override them.

Maybe it’s because the stores here in MA have an infamy for being a sort of “meat grinder” for managers and people who’ve worked at southern Wal-mart stores and never up here, we don’t just bend over for the customer’s satisfaction. We believe in supplying good customer service but know that Wal-mart is perceived as the store that will return anything and will always let the customer have their way, even when they clearly aren’t in the right.

21. SexCpotatoes says:

@PyroBor: Apparently, you didn’t go back for a second lap 20 mins. later to see them being RE-STOCKED by a different employee.

22. fatal616 says:

Its NOT the same product as the one recalled last year and the article is correct in saying the old ones should not be on the shelf because they are not. The new ones are and one of the models was recently recalled last week which is not the same one recalled a year ago.