Advertising Equals Graffiti

New York City has these special video billboards at the top of subway stops playing silent movies for Lexus, Chanel, and NBC. It’s kinda beautiful, and kinda annoying.

The Graffiti Research Lab and the Anti-Advertising Agency did an interesting project back in January where they cut out phrases into stencils and taped them over these ads. The moving light behind the letters illuminated phrases like “Graffiti,” “Advertising = Graffiti,” piggybacking on the very message-dispensing machine it attacks. Click the picture above to see the movie.

A cool art project and way to reclaim the urban space, if only temporarily. Just don’t do it in Boston. — BEN POPKEN

Light Criticism [The Anti-Advertising Agency]

Comments

1. loftninja says:

gotta love advertising that punches holes in advertising….I call it ARTvertising…

2. Click which picture Ben?

3. Ben Popken says:
  4. I tried going to the source websites to see if they mentioned where the music came from. I really thought it was neat.

If anyone has any clue, drop a line. :)

5. Matthew says:

Every time I pass one of those loathsome subway-entrance monitors I wonder whether my TV-B-Gone will work through the protective plexiglass shield.

6. Teira says:

@something_amazing: It’s a track from Ratatat, can’t place which unless I decide to stop being lazy. Great band.

7. spitsonstrangers says:

@something_amazing: it’s ratatat’s lex on the just released classics album. there’s a free mp3 available for download at pitchfork.

while i’m as anti-graffiti as i am anti-advertising, this is an eyebeam joint and nothing about it makes make want to vomit.

that’s as close to waking on the right side of the bed as i’ve gotten in ages…

8. ZekeSulastin says:

Not that I’m against this initiative completely, but I doubt that the advertisers payed to have their ads turned into urban ‘art’ … maybe the ‘artists’ should reimburse the companies who put ads up that are blocked by the masks. I’m sure it can’t be that hard to figure out how much it costs …

9. Flashman says:

A guy named Jason Eppink did something similar, but way more dynamic, and less preachy:
    (from http://www.metafilter.com/60324/Idleness-And-Dissipation-B

PS Here’s the link to the Ratatat MP3 download(thanks):

10. quantum-shaman says:

@ZekeSulastin: The point is, who gives a flying fuck what they paid (but it was A LOT… and always remember, as the consumer, that cost is being passed directly on to you). I mean, look at the companies that are using it… overpriced luxury products and one mainstream media bullshitter. There are people who find this sort of invasive advertising to be just a bit *too* invasive and ripe for a little social engineering. It’s called adbusting. More power to them. I’m not against advertising per se and there are plenty of ways it can be done creatively and yes even attractively. On the other hand, 75% of the advertising profession should be neutered to keep them from breeding. For example, have you ever seen one of those “rolling billboards”? Everything about them is heinous.

11. spitsonstrangers says:

@quantum-shaman: I don’t think he was paid by a client. Eyebeam funded him. I think it was Guerrilla Art and not Guerrilla Advertising.

He’s the guy behind this: http://whytheyhate.us/

12. Ben Popken says:

@Flashman: True, that’s pretty cool, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you’ll see that he links to this very project.

13. arelys521 says:

@quantum-shaman: I’m in the advertising industry. Don’t worry, there’s no need to neuter us. We’re one group of people smart enough to not have children.

Besides, we’re all about this “anti-advertising” stuff. Just garners us some extra free buzz.

14. crayonshinobi says:

You know, Bill Hicks had great things to say about people in advertising. Went something along the lines of “By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing, kill yourself.”

Good advice.

@arelys521: If it were true, how come you haven’t gone extinct yet? Either some of you aren’t as “smart” as you claim, or you reproduce asexually through some sort of parasitic infection.

15. quantum-shaman says:

@crayonshinobi: Bill Hicks, RIP!

“Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.”

…or…

“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your fuckin’ mouth.”

The man was brilliant.

16. Ferriswheeler says:

The song is El Pico from New York’s own Ratatat.
    BTW nice AD-on-AD action.