LEAKS: Yahoo Photos Closes September 20th

Yahoo Photos will close on September 20th, according to this internal Target newsletter. Users will have until that date to move their online scrapbooks to a partner site, like Flickr, Shutterfly, Kodak Gallery, Snapfish, Photobucket

All you have to do is select a partner site and Yahoo will migrate the photos for you. No need to download and upload.

The changeover was leaked on May 3rd, and officially announced on May 4th, but all previous articles could only specify “the fall” as the cutoff period.

Full scan of the announcement, inside…

Click to enlarge.

After September 20th, all remaining albums on Yahoo Photos will be burned in a virtual bonfire in Second Life. Ok, we made that part up, but there’s a good chance they’ll be gone forever, so get transferring! — BEN POPKEN

RELATED: Breaking: Yahoo To Shut Down Yahoo Photos In Favor Of Flickr [TechCrunch]

Comments

1. bgrigson says:

This has shown up on the Yahoo Photos site. There is a link about the closing. Not surprising since Yahoo Photos is kind of a weaker brother to Flickr. The Yahoo site did not have the tools to move everything in place yet. This link says the move won’t happen until fall: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/photos/photos3/closing/cl

2. Benny Gesserit says:

Consumerist, you’ve saved me a great deal of grief. I’ll be halfway through a vacation in the UK when they shut down – and I’d been planning to use Yahoo Photos to backup copies of my “holiday snaps”.

Can you imagine my frustration? With my luck, I’d be sitting in an internet café being told “We’re closing, setup a Flickr account and move them over NOW!”

3. whereismyrobot says:

My Tivo only uses yahoo photo, not flickr. So I was about to start putting some photos up there. Thanks.

So when is tivo going to switch over?

4. Trai_Dep says:

I never got y! photos. They always shrunk the damn pictures, even when viewing my own pictures. Don’t even get me started on viewing public galleries – the point of posting my picts online.

Upload your own picts online, then pay yahoo to view them full-sized. SUCH a deal. Good riddance. Yahoo really hasn’t brought out anything decent since… ?

5. Legodude522 says:

I love Flickr. It’s great. I bought a pro account too.

6. spikespead says:

I have over 2000 pictures on Yahoo Extortion Free unlimited picture site and now they want me to pay to get them back.

The options I see is to pay Yahoo Extortion to put them on CD, I dont know how many that would take.

Switch to Yahoo Extortions other site Flickr Extortion.
    Flickr extortion will only let you see 200 pics for free and will not let you get your pictures back unless you pay for the Flickr Professional Extortion.

Switch to one of Yahoo’s anointed image hosting services which have similar policies as Flickr Extortion.

Or go thru 2000 pictures 1 by 1 and download them. Yahoo Extortion does not support downloading multiple images.

They have kidnapped my pictures and want money to get them back.

However it is nice of them to allow me to go to another image hosting service to pay for my pictures.
    Even tho the whole process is difficult and is set up to funnel you to Flickr Extortion.

Its funny how you dont see, AOL for example, on the list of services that that you can migrate your pictures too.
    It can’t be because it is totally free and does not offer a Professional Extortion package. Can it?

I wish Yahoo Extortion would have told me that Yahoo Extortion free unlimited picture sharing was only a 2 year deal and that I would have to pay to get them back or to even see them all online again.

Sweet deal for Yahoo Extortion with probably millions forced to go along.
    Be wary if they ever offer a Free babysitting service.

I smell class action.