E. Coli Prompts Beef Recall in Eight States

PM Beef Holdings is recalling 117,500 pounds of beef that may be tainted with E. coli. The tainted beef has already landed three Minnesotans in the hospital, and now threatens residents in eight states.

“Because these products later became ground beef sold under many different retail brand names, consumers should check with their local retailer to determine whether they may have purchased any of the products subject to recall,” the USDA said.

The USDA is working overtime to figure out who received the tainted beef, which was prepared on March 27. The beef has already been traced to Minnesota, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin. To thwart E. coli, heat your meat to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

No new E. coli cases in beef scare; recall expanded [Minnesota Star Tribune]
(Photo: Sunfox)

Comments

1. Episodes like this make me glad that the current administration is stuffed with incompetent cronies.

2. Chaoticfluffy says:

Wonderful, I just *had* to read this as I was eating my steak for lunch, in Illinois. Good thing I’m a well-done kind of girl

3. BeastMasterJ says:

Steak wouldn’t be affected, even cooked rare. The e coli contaminates the surface of the meat only, and is killed when the steak meats flame or a hot pan.

This doesn’t apply to Hamburgers, which are made from ground meat. The surface may get mixed into the center durring the grinding proccess.

So, Rare steak = Good
    Rare Burgers = Risky

/It’s called RED meat, not BROWN meat ;-)

4. lizzybee says:

…and yet another reason to avoid beef like the plague it is… Of course, chicken’s not much safer, and fish is contaminated. And pigs are raised in those nasty sewer farms.

Ugh. Maybe it’s time to go vegetarian…

5. heller01 says:

Oh, boy… I thought my double cheeseburger from McD’s tasted funny today… If I have to get another paper extension I am going to be sending them a really nasty letter….

6. catnapped says:

@lizzybee: As long as you avoid vegetables like green onions, spinach, lettuce, etc. etc. etc.

7. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Everyone in the top 15 levels of the FDA should be fired.

Spinach recall
    Beef recall
    More beef recall
    etc etc etc
    Not to mention Mad Cow

There’s never been this many recalls in the history of this country.

8. lizzybee says:

@catnapped: Touche, but you also forgot about wheat ;-)

Airetarian sounds better and better, doesn’t it? But, of course, for the smog…

9. homerjay says:

Incidents like this make me happy I get all my beef from China.

10. AcidReign says:

…..Maybe it’s time to go back to drinking out of the well and the creek, to build up some E-coli tolerance. I’m still eating my rare steaks and roast beef. And bagged spinach. Even if I have to veggie, I still have to have my spinach! I’d rather be dead than give up my spinach…

11. erock0 says:

e-coli outbreaks in veggies are usually traced back to ranches.

12. unamericanvalues says:

I love it how the USDA is reactive rather than proactive meaning, they late tainted food go to stores. But in order to keep on getting those huge budgets from the government thry have to make it look like their actually doing something. Wouldn’t it be great if the government were proactive and took care of situations before they became major problems, oh thats right we live in America, meaning that will never happen.

13. SexCpotatoes says:

@lizzybee: It’s Breathairian (however you speel it).

14. quantum-shaman says:

@lizzybee: Sorry to say, that probably won’t save you either with all those migrants pooping in the fields while they are picking your strawberries and lettuce. Think about it. I’m moving a lot more towards locally grown produce and local Amish-produced, drug-free grass-fed beef myself. Also you can spray your veggies with hydrogen peroxide before using, if you insist on DelMonte or whatever.

15. quantum-shaman says:

@IRSistherootofallevil: Don’t be so sure. If you were a stinking behemoth of a draconian government and you wanted even MORE power and authority, how would you get it? By either creating a crisis, or allowing one to occur! Then you just raise your fat, grubby hand and propose a solution. Shazam!! Now you have your “Food Czar”.

16. ducksauce says:

It’s a good thing they caught it so soon. I am sure most of that 115,000 pounds of beef is still unconsumed nearly two months after it was prepared for consumers.

17. FOOD = POISON

@quantum-shaman: Isn’t that the plot in Heroes?

@IRSistherootofallevil: You’d think all the recalls would be big news. Apparently the fact that eating just about anything will kill you just isn’t sensationalist enough.

18. tph says:

@quantum-shaman: migrants pooping in the fields

Seriously, is there any evidence that this actually happens? I really, really dislike the assumption that people who originate from other cultures are significantly less sanitary than us “civilized” folks.

19. AcidReign says:

…..Would a migrant (or any worker, for that matter) take a dump in the field? Sure. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

…..Would he/she THEN harvest poo-covered greens? Don’t think so.

…..Some Asian cultures have fertilized with human waste for centuries, and it hasn’t exactly hurt their population totals…

20. tph says:

@AcidReign: Using composted human waste is not really fundamentally different than using composted cow waste (manure). What I worry about is the implication that people are just squatting over the lettuce, and then using a handful of spinach leaves to wipe.

21. oldhat says:

Remember folks, always beat your meat at 90 degrees.

22. quantum-shaman says:

@tph: It has absolutely nothing to do with “other cultures”… it has to do with the simple fact that these people are being hired at the cheapest rates available and treated accordingly. Do you really think they have even porta-potties available? Much less toilet paper? Sani-wipes? I think not. As they say in the old couuntry “nature calls”.

23. quantum-shaman says:

@AcidReign: Oh, is there a conscientious farmer on hand to pick up the migrant poo? I don’t think so. It washes into the soil like any other poo, but unfortunately it can taint your shiny vegetables before the E-coli actually disappears. How do you think E-coli (a natural denizen of colons everywhere) makes it onto fresh veggies in the first place?

24. quantum-shaman says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: “FOOD = POISION”?? Could be! Remember the “twinkie defense”?

25. quantum-shaman says:

Just fer example:

The Federal Occupational Health Safety Act of 1970 requires all employers provide a work environment safe from hazards, mandating things like potable water, handwashing and toilet facilities within a five minute walk from working areas. But this only applies to farms employing more than 10 workers, a group comprising only 14 percent of the total migrant worker population.