Best Of Comcast Bad Install Stories

Comcast Tech Bullies Customer for Cash, Breaks His Hard Drive, Drills Huge Holes In Walls And Baseboards
“So why did Comcast’s installer show up without a router asking for $115.80 in cash? Why did he drill holes in Jason’s walls and baseboards, and unplug his HP Media Center PC Box (thereby breaking it)? Why was he rude to Jason, requiring him to “show the cash” to “make sure he had it?””

Mac Powerbook Explodes After Comcast Plugs In Wrong Cable
“A Comcast customer’s Powerbook exploded after a Comcast tech plugged coax, connected to her computer through her modem, to an electrical wire.”

Yet Another Comcast Customer Burned
“After the abominable wait on hold, I get a human to find out why the tech has not arrived. The CSR then drops the bomb on me. There is no appointment for a digital upgrade with DVR scheduled for my account!”

Waiting for Comcast Install Screed
“I can understand the occasional scheduling error, but I think that Comcast’s inability to figure out how to schedule an appointment four times in a row moves into the realm of “The Three Stooges Work the Dispatch Desk.””

Comcast Sucks It
“John’s internet went out for no reason and Comcast is going to take at least six days to show up. Six days without spam, guys taking videos of their coffee maker or DRM news. Hm. Maybe we should sign up for that service. “

Jaws Of Comcast
“* We call Comcast to complain about the no-show. We’re referred to the lead tech, who tells us that the problem must be in our network. After some convincing, he says that the problem is probably the cable outside our house. A service call is arranged . . . for the next day. * My wife breaks down and buys a new cable modem from Office Depot. Our internet works perfectly.”

(Photo: Meghann Marco)

Comments

1. 2Legit2Quit says:

I’m still amazed by the bad service other users of Comcast have had. I’ve been with Comcast for about 8 years now, since they bought out Garden State Cable, and I couldn’t be more satisfied. I’ve rarely had any downtime. The few times they’ve had to come out to fix my service was because of a crapped modem (which they replaced for free) and the other time was a problem with the signal coming from the basement. All repairs were free of charge, and the second one was actually a same-day appointment when I called.

The service itself is fast enough, no port blocking, and no capped speeds.

I

2. Chongo says:

Just had comcast put in my new apartment a few days ago. I had been prepared from this site and stood over the guys shoulder the entire time. He was nice enough but he had NO idea how to use a mac. I kept telling him that I had an Airport base station and that I wanted to modem installed into that. He says “No, you need to do it directly into the computer so it will register”. I told him my ethernet port was broken but still insisted on it. After almost 2 hours I go “Please, just let me try it directly into the base station” of course, that worked like a charm. Then the guy hands me papers to sign and leaves. He of course forgot to tell him my login name and password which were MANDATORY to get the data transfer going. I spent another 45 mins on hold waiting for tech support.

Should I call for a few bucks back?

3. dragonpup says:

Most be a slow day on Consumerist to have a ‘best of’ Comcast day. In other news, the Comcast CEO showed off a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem that can reach 150 Mbps*.

And while I don’t hide who my employer is(and nor do I represent them in any sort of official capacity.), I am curious to what regions people having trouble live in. I rarely see complaints for the New England area I work in, so I am wondering if it’s some specific regions dropping the ball.

*Thought of the Day: Are there any websites that can send data back that fast?

4. deletethisaccount says:

I guess I got lucky with Comcast. Three years and only one trouble call I can remember (and the problem got resolved in less than 10 min). Charter on the other hand got dumped after they decided that 7 months and dozens of phone calls were not excessive amounts to get one issue resolved. Guess who has a shiny new dish on the roof?

5. Hell's Donut House says:

Damn, and I never got around to telling how it took Comcast FOUR MONTHS to fix my faulty DSL.

6. Batmanjr says:

My fiance and I just moved to a new home. The previous owners just had directTV, but we wanted cable. Comcast came out EARLY(I know I was shocked too) and spent well over 2 hours at the house. Now before you say 2 hours is too long, 1.5 hours was spent under our house running new cable from the street.
    We were very pleased with our experience, and really have never had a bad one with Comcast.
    We live in a suburb of Portland, OR.

7. Cap'n Jack says:

I can tell you from experience that Comcast is particularly bad in the Delaware and Pennsylvania areas.

8. Hamm Beerger says:

HellsDonutHouse – Why would Comcast fix your DSL?

9. labellamodellaz says:

I moved to Springfield, MA about 2 months ago. I have had comcast for 1.5 months. I have recieved the worst service a cable company could ever provide. I’ve moved so many places, and had cable and none of them ever gave me a problem like this company. They charge you for every little detail and never leave you satisfied. They make it almost impossible to get in contact with them at times, make you prepay everything(that is not something I am familiar with) and push services on you that you don’t want or need. The channels are slow and difficult to navigate compared to other services I’ve dealt with. It is frustating b/c this is the only option in this area. I just got off the phone with them to cancel they’re phone/internet/cable. I am so glad to almost be rid of this crappy cable company. I was warned by someone at circut city when asking the local cable companys, but I didn’t believe it coul be this bad! Thats okay, I’ll save money by watching my dvd’s and getting a wirless car through my cell phone company and I can take my internet everywhere I go… Thanx COMCAST for your crappy service!

10. QuirkyRachel says:

You know, my parents have Comcast Triple play and they live in the suburbs. They never have service issues. I have Comcast and live in Chicago proper, and all I’ve had are service issues. Same thing for ATT. My aunt lives in the suburbs and never had issues, while in the city, ATT/SBC couldn’t get my DSL up and running after 3 months.

11. h3lls_georgia says:

I tried for 2 months after moving apts in town to get my cable and internet hooked up. apparently if you haven’t already had a line hooked up to your place, you have to wait for some different area to ‘find’ your house to prove it exists, mine apparently didn’t. eventually someone succeeded in locating my house and it was passed on the people who schedule installations. 2 wks after that I finally had a installer call me and show up. has anyone else ever had this experience?