Walmart Nazi Tshirt Watch: Week 25

22 weeks after Walmart agreed to remove shirts bearing Nazi iconography from its shelves, and 13 weeks after getting a letter from Congress demanding the shirts removal, they’re still there. S.G.W. found some in Indianapolis, took a video, and writes:

I went to walmart to buy some shirts for work then looked at the t-shirts. Where I found the Nazi shirt. I tried to buy it, but the register do not sell. The lady wouldn’t sell it. Then I came home, emailed Ben and then went back to take a pic. It wasn’t very hard. Except they only had yesterdays newspaper. I then decided to switch the peel on tag and proceeded to purchase it with no problems. Also my Bulldog Chilly is Protesting and will not be shopping at Walmart.

Hey, here’s an idea for another fun scavenger hunt. Try to find and send in pics of of recalled pet food still sitting on the shelves. Now that we’ve honed our finding skills, let’s apply ‘em to something that could actually save a life!

Recent updates to this story.
Backstory.

bulldogprotesting.jpg

nazinewspaper.jpg

— BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. mikesfree says:

I wonder how the lead laden baby bib recall is going?

2. Terek Kincaid says:

Well, for one, showing the newspaper means absolutely nothing. That shirt could have been bought a month ago.

More importantly, however, is this letter from Congress demanding its removal. Is that real? Was it just some blowhards on the Hill sounding off, or was it a formal request. Because the last time I checked the Constitution, it still covers Nazis. You may not like them, and they aren’t attack you, but they can talk all they want, and that includes pictures on a T-shirt. Now, if Wal-Mart says they don’t want to sell them, and then they do, that’s another matter. But I’m very disturbed there are people in Congress that have a problem with free speech. Remember, you don’t have to protect popular speech; that’s easy. You have to protect unpopular speech.

3. mikesfree says:

I wonder how the Walmart lead laden baby bib recall is going? Not Joking here.

4. mknoll says:

You need to straighten out your dog when he sits or else he will get hip dysplasia when he gets older.

5. not_seth_brundle says:
  6. mopar_man says:

As much as I hate Wal-Mart, I’m tempted to go to my local store and see if they have any. If they do, pictures will be taken and I’ll be sure to forward it to the local newspaper. Same with the recalled pet food.

7. scoobydoo says:

Walmart has a real recall problem. This weekend the Chicago Tribune ran a story about “magnetix”, the recalled toy that has killed a few kids. Of course, one of the stores where the paper was still able to buy the old, recalled version of the box was Walmart.

One of these days someone is going to die because Walmart is too incompetent to remove stuff from their shelves.

8. pockygt says:

@terekkincaid: you must not have watched the video he took inside of walmart where the shelf was lined with the shirts.

9. Triteon says:

Wal-Mart, now featuring Nazi shirts and doctors. Because that’s always worked well in the past!

10. blinky_guy says:

Like I said before, this is still a free country. You may not like it, but even Congress does not have the authority to force WM to pull this product. Free speech is free speech. You gotta take the bad with the good.

11. royal72 says:

ok ben, i appreciate the tenacity of keeping this story alive, if anything to just point out how horrible walmart is. however, it’s a fucking t-shirt. do i endorse nazis, or more specifically the horrors we associate with the regime? of course not, but there is a thing called freedom of speech and thereby walmart really doesn’t have to remove the shirts from their shelves just because someone thought they’re offensive… if anything, by continuing this story, you are enforcing the reduction of you very own rights.

12. gamble says:

I think the point is more that Wal-Mart said that they were going to remove the shirts and its been a very long time and the shirts are still on the shelves. Its less about their right to sell these shirts and more about how they haven’t been able to coordinate removal of the shirts properly. They did, after all, block the sales of the shirts in their systems. The seem to be attempting to remove the shirts. This story is mainly about Wal-Mart’s incompetence.

13. phrygian says:

@royal72: It’s no longer an issue of “OMG!Nazi shirts!” Instead, the story is Wal-mart’s ineffectual recall system. There’s no reason that, after 25 weeks, all the shirts couldn’t have been removed from Wal-Mart’s shelves. Wal-mart has taken the same lackadaisical approach with the tainted pet food, according to some news articles. If I shopped at Wal-mart I would be alarmed at the company’s seeming indifference to removing recalled products from their shelves.

14. MustyBuckets says:

I’ve actually noticed these in WalMart in Heneritta NY (14623). When I tried to buy one, I ran into the same problem with the no sell, and actually had the lady at the register say it had something to do with Nazis, followed by another lady saying that definitely wasn’t the problem, and it was due to the dye in the shirt ruining washing machines. The manager finally came by, and said it doesn’t matter, they can’t sell it. I was thinking about switching tags, and if I see it again, I definitely will.
    Also, to get a more valid picture, if you could have taken the picture with a newspaper in the store, it would be definitive.

15. MustyBuckets says:

Also, if someone could please direct me to the article describing the bad pet food, I would like to see if my walmart has it out on the shelves. It would be nice to know that we could show how Walmart can’t recall an item, and get more publicity out of it as well.

16. John Stracke says:

So, let’s see. The guy found an unpopular item on the shelf. He couldn’t buy it, so he switched the tags so he could (technically) steal it.

So, he simultaneously committed a crime to protest this Nazi shirt and helped Wal-Mart make money on it. How exactly does he imagine he’s in the right here?

17. quantum-shaman says:

What an incredible non-issue. Can’t you find something more substantial to get your shorts in a wad about? Crusade against Wal-Mart until you’re blue in the face, but I doubt even the removal of the offending shirt from their shelves will in ANY way actually reduce your local population of skinheads. I’ll bet 99% of Wal-Mart shoppers don’t even recognize the design as “Nazi”… they’re just quasi-goth wannabe pirates or something, out to snag a deal on a five gallon tub of cheese balls and eight liters of Pepsi. Get a life! Also it doesn’t matter how the dog sits, he isn’t going to get hip displaysia just because of his “poor posture”.

18. NotInMyNeighborhood says:

If you have are any doubts that Wal-Mart is STILL selling the Totenkopf T-shift, check out this video on youtube.

This is a big deal, because Wal-Mart vowed PUBLICLY to take the shirt off its shelves in November of last year. If you think this is just a shirt, wake up. what could be more offensive than to profit from a symbol of genocide?

19. OfficeDespot says:

@John Stracke: I had the same thought.

Dude wanted to buy something, only WalMart is supposed to be pulling the product off the shelves and not selling it at all to anyone.

They have the item lined out in the point-of-sales system, so the register won’t ring up the shirt at all.

Dude wants to be a smart ass and make a point, so he goes and peels a sticker off of a (same-price?) item and stuck it on the shirt that he wanted to buy so it would sell. He proceeded to complete the sales transaction.

He made a purchase under false pretenses.

Purchase under false pretenses is illegal.

Even if there’s some retail idiocy going on here, with WalMart not actively taking the proper course of action – removing the stock from the shelves – two wrongs do not make this situation right.

I think it would be really humorous if this knucklehead got his ass handed to him, with a misdemeanor charge on his record for good measure.

The store probably would not go out of their way to prosecute this guy. They made some money they would not have otherwise taken in.

20. MustyBuckets says:

@quantum-shaman: Whoa, so everyone and their mother is wrong in this topic? Like NotInMyNeighborhood said, it’s not about a shirt, it’s about a company failing to remove something from their shelves that was recalled. Do you have any pets? They recalled the tainted pet food too, and I wonder if they are doing as good of a job on that as they are on the T-Shirts.

21. strathmeyer says:

Who made a purchase under false pretenses? Who are you talking about? What are you talking about?

22. CavemanJim says:

I checked out the Walmart in Coos Bay, OR. No nazi t-shirts today.

23. OfficeDespot says:

@strathmeyer: Did you read the quoted text in the article way up there at the top of the page?

S.G.W. is quoted as saying “…Where I found the Nazi shirt. I tried to buy it, but the register do not sell. The lady wouldn’t sell it. …I then decided to switch the peel on tag and proceeded to purchase it with no problems.”

Stating himself he made a purchase under false pretenses.

24. itchy feet says:

So you mean if I go to the register with a box of Trojans and tell the clerk they’re for my brother, I’m going to jail?

I’ve never heard of “making a purchase under false pretenses.”

Should he have switched the tags? No. But Wal-Mart needs to live up to its promises and get the darn things off the sales floor.

25. stesmo says:

If you’re going to take pictures of recalled pet food, please take the list of recalled brands AND batch numbers / dates. The fact that a store still sells a can of cat food belonging to one of the recalled brands does not mean they are selling the recalled product.