Make Your Own Vintage Jeans

Curbly has a neat idea for making your own pair of vintage jeans. Take a pair of old jeans and soak them in a tub of hot water and an old sock filled with coffee grounds. In the morning, they’ll have a nice patina. For further distressing, you can use a cheese grater for small scuffs and tears, or put objects in the pocket and sandpaper over them.

If you can’t buy or earn authenticity, make it! — BEN POPKEN

DIY Vintage Jeans…Coffee style! [Curbly]

Comments

1. ElizabethD says:

Fugly! But otherwise, knock yourselves out, hipsters.

2. idonthack says:

You can’t buy authenticity, period. There’s no “if”. People who buy ripped and faded clothes make me lol.

Disclaimer: I’m currently wearing a spraypainted shirt, and jeans with ripped cuffs

3. SharkJumper says:

I have the exact opposite problem. The last time I went shopping for jeans, I had to explain to the salesgirls that I wanted jeans that weren’t pre-ripped, pre-dirtied, pre-frayed. They were unable to find any in the store. Can’t I just buy a freaking new pair of jeans? I’ll wear them out on my own, thank you very much. Darn kids and their darn fads!

4. Mr. Gunn says:

You mean “distressing”, not “destressing”.

5. iMike says:

@SharkJumper: You can still get Levis (though now they’re made overseas) in plain ‘ol indigo blue, either washed or unwashed. You may have to go somewhere like Sears to get them, though.

6. getjustin says:

And you’ll ending up smelling like a Starbucks!

7. gopher646 says:

@iMike: Go to Sears *shudders at the thought of suggesting Sears*. They have a great selection of Levi’s–you can even get them in idigo, non-shrunk.

It’s the only place to get decent, non-trendy jeans.

8. ShadeWalker says:

i think it’s great we live in a society where buying clothes that are torn and stained at outrageous prices is normal.

you’re all a bunch of tools (the people who buy “vintage” clothing).

9. mattshu says:

Those jeans look like ass, and not in a good way.

For some reason I keep thinking of Richard Pryor in Thy Toy when he was attacked by the piranas.

10. mopar_man says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who hates the worn out look. Sure, I have jeans that are worn (without gapping holes) but I wore them out after 7 or 8 years of wearing them and are now comfy as hell. Any jeans that have stains or paint on them are used for housework or working out in the garage. “Hey, look at me. I look like a hobo so I must be cool.” No thanks.

11. Gloria says:

Can someone tell me where to buy 100% cotton jeans? Everywhere I go, they have spandex in them, and spandex jeans stretch and sag. Please. Help me.

12. Winca says:

What the hell is wrong with kids today? When I was your age if it had loops in it, you wore a goddamned belt! If it had a collar, it had to have a tie, goddammit! Shirts were to be tucked in, you smelly hippies! CLOTHES SHOULD ALWAYS LOOK NEW! RIPS ARE BAD!

Seriously, reading how some of you guys bitch makes me laugh. If people like the vintage look, fine. If people like the clean cut look, fine. At least this gives people an option to do it without having to subsidize some chinese sweatshop worker working for Diesel.

There are so many people on pedestals around here Michaelangelo would have an eight-year boner.

13. tcabeen says:

Again, coffee proves to be a (barely) suitable substitute for patience. Heh.

14. tcabeen says:

@Gloria: Levi’s have spandex in them? Have you tried a Levi’s outlet or something?

If nothing else, there’s always Goodwill Industries.

What? I’m not kidding. Stop laughing. I shop there.

15. dohtem says:

I know people that have been doing the vintage thing themselves for years. Throwing new jeans in the washer with strong detergent (or mild bleach), driving over their jeans numerous times, stepping in paint and then stepping on their jeans. Sometimes it really comes out great.

The only reason I but distressed jeans is because its the only type out there in brands I prefer.

16. spanky says:

I suppose the next installment is going to include instructions for achieving realistic looking grass stains by ROLLING AROUND ON MY LAWN or something.

Young people enrage me.

17. Last time I was at Macy’s, they had non-distressed jeans. Granted, they all have spandex in ‘em.