Hapless Crunch Gym Aerobics Class Trapped In Spiderman 3 Marketing Web

…I had a sickening experience at Crunch Gym yesterday.

My spin class was taken over by a Spiderman 3 marketing extravaganza! Two plasma screens showed excerpts from the film and talking head interview clips. My instructor had to play droning grunge music from Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2 soundtracks while we tried to get our cardio workout.

I am new to spinning, and I have to say I am dripping with sweat when I am done – it is a very strenuous workout. It seems very sinister of Crunch and Spiderman to subject a group of hot sweaty people to such a high concentration of marketing. I think cults are the only other forum that operates in this way.

The woman next to me walked out, but I stayed since Tuesday is the only day I can make it to the class. I am relieving my guilt of being such a wimp and staying by passing the word along to you.

Our reader says this was at the 38th street location in NYC.

Hey, Spidey is very athletic. Shooting from building to building. Maybe he inspires some people! Or maybe people should get to exercise for free if they agree to be bombarded by advertising! — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. mikecolione says:

YES! more free stuff to spoil us.. free cell phones, free magazines for a year, credits every time your cable goes out for an hour, I won’t even mention the Blackberry credits from last month lol. Yea why not throw in free gym workouts too :)

2. Maulleigh says:

Unfortunately, this is a way to keep costs down. The club could raise fees or it could get sponsorship. A necessary evil. I’d rather spiderman than some other hollywood slop.

Still, I do see your point. :(

3. Falconfire says:

Yeah was going to say the same thing. Evil is the Wendys ads for a chicken sandwitch in my Ballys on the walls.

Equipment costs money. While they get a lot from customers, its never as much as they need for new equipment.

4. emjsea says:

Funny how the poor, poor gyms managed to buy equipment and maintain their facilities without having outrageous fees before they thought up this way to make even more money. And you think this will keep them from raising fees and milking the consumer for every last penny? Please. Give me a break.

5. acambras says:

I would have been furious.

6. Pelagius says:

The Purple Cobras approve of this marketing strategy.

7. valkin says:

hmmm. I’m of two minds. As someone that takes spin classes, it’s hard, and I need to focus on something other than my hurting thighs during a rough uphill climb. Two plasma TVs running whatever would do the trick.

I do NOT like the idea of being forced to hear music from the Spiderman soundtrack. Music is very important in spin to get into the groove.

8. lpranal says:

This is your fault. Yes, you, over there with the tivo. Quit being so damn hard to market to!

9. Lula Mae Broadway says:

Ironic – a kind of evil even a superhero can’t defeat.

10. lincolnparadox says:

One man’s fish eggs is another man’s caviar.

It’s not like you were forced to watch a Q&A with the sealskin lobby, trying to explain how human the practice of seal skin harvest is nowadays, and how a finely-made sealskin hat can be both lustrous and waterproof, without silly chemical treatments.*

LP

* Part of this comment was paid for by a joint venture between the Alaskan and Norwegian seal trappers lobby.

11. CatherineTrammell says:

I’m just thankful I missed the Kickboxing Class that was “sponsored” by “The Queen.”

12. Rajio says:

call me when this is in toilet cubicles.

13. DeeJayQueue says:

if it were a public place, that I wasn’t paying a membership for, then people could advertise to me all they wanted and I could choose to leave or not. I’d be upset that it disrupted my workout but hey, it’s a free country.

It stops being acceptable when I pay my monthly dues. If I’m paying to be at the gym, that means that everything and everyone in there, sans the patrons, is on my time and my money. I’m paying to use the equipment and to take the classes, not to be a marketing guinea pig.