May 8: Last Day To Sound Off About The Real ID Act

The Department of Homeland Security would like your opinions on the Real ID Act, but it would like them by May 8th.

For more information about the Read ID Act and its implications to your personal privacy, you can check out the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s website. Here’s some more info from the ACLU.

For those of you who don’t like to comment on things you haven’t read, (there must be at least one of you out there), we’ve included a link to the DHS’s 40 page PDF about the issue. We’re going to read it before we comment. You do as you wish. —MEGHANN MARCO

Minimum Standards For Driver’s Licenses And Identification Cards Acceptable by Federal Agencies for Official Purposes (PDF) [Department of Homeland Security]
Tell the Department of Homeland Security that REAL ID is a Real Nightmare [ACLU]
Submit Comments to DHS Opposing REAL ID — Deadline May 8! [EFF]

Comments

1. faust1200 says:

Since when does Homeland Security care about anyone’s opinion?

2. orchid777 says:

I’ve read 4 out of 40 pages so far. My state already has the “digital” license. How about this:

• Database connectivity. States would
    be required to provide electronic access
    to specific information contained in the
    motor vehicle database of the State to all
    other States.

1984?

3. orchid777 says:

@faust1200: They don’t.

It seems like they’re going to successfully legislate the first federal ID (Real ID) card. We need to either get used to it or 09f9.

4. Prosumerist says:

Some states have already announce they will pass laws against RealID so what’s the point? Why not just require passports for inter-state travel? They already have all the embeded biometric DNA crap.

5. nightbird says:

When I go to the DHL link, I get a popup error message.

6. CumaeanSibyl says:

I assume that, when one submits an opinion on such matters, one’s personal information is entered in the appropriate databases, yes?

Times like these, I wish I had a fake identity — I’d like to send them a nastygram, but my parents drilled it into my head never to give the government a reason to start a file. (They were at Kent State, I guess that’d make anyone paranoid.)

7. catnapped says:

@Prosumerist: Even if the individual states create legislation to go against the policy, what’s to say the feds won’t deny them any kind of federal funding? (and I shouldn’t even phrase this as a question as I’d imagine that’s what they will do if it comes down to it)

8. orchid777 says:

@nightbird: happened to me too…
    have to enable javascripts, then it’s in pdf form.

9. matdevdug says:

My God that was long. . . .

Basically it reminds me of the Italian system of ID in which one card is used for everything. I don’t want a Real ID, I think that a driver’s license is plenty enough ID as it is. I have not seen anything suggesting that we would be any safer as a population if my ID card was controlled by the idiots running the Department of Homeland Security. The security test for me has to do with would this have helped stop 9/11? Since the answer is no, and it would mean yet another thing I would have to carry around, I vote no and sent a letter to the Department of Homeland Hilarity saying just that. Besides those idiots always stop me at the airport. . . .

10. antirem says:

Thanks for the links

11. mattbrown says:

I’m moving to Montana!

12. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Yeah, and um more ID floating around=more ID that can be stolen=more ID theft. Someone WILL find a way to forge these ID’s just like they found a way to forge drivers licenses and every other type of ID out there. It does NOT make anyone safer as a nation, it’s just a colossal waste of money.

13. Ah'm Tha Sharaff says:

Sign me up for illegal alien status.

14. shdwsclan says:

Its very easy to forge ids. Currently, every state has their own algorithm for generating id number, but it generally soundex plexed with middle name and last name, dob, and gender..
    Its just the ordering of these operations that changes.

Using microsoft systems and such, the govt doesnt have a good security record. If they can proove some schematic for it.

Using unix systems throughout.
    Full data access is only for individuals from with proper credentials from the state of residence, and this would be controlled by a central database in washington, so there would not be a problem with state dmv incompetence.
    4 last digits of SS would be available to lower privaledged parties.

If properly done, this system can be secure, since a good database logs searches and entries, so if anyone actually would request full data, that person’s credentials would be logged and the log file can be release to trace id theft.

The best replacement for SS# would be DNA code.
    To get a credit card or whatnot would require a donation of DNA to crosscheck against a database. ID theft would only be possible by cloning.

Car should also have card reader for liscense, so cars cannot be driven with credentials….so illegal aliens, and the uninsured can no longer drive…

But then again, im trying to patch holes in the system.

15. MrFlashport says:

Welcome to the post 9/11 paranoia society, now with a government who wants to “keep us all safe” by being able to track it’s law abiding citizens. Oh, those illegal aliens, terrorist, and criminals crossing our borders freely…nevermind them. After all, we can always just start another war on (insert here) and it will all make it better. Welcome to George Bush’s America…

16. holysmoke says:

mark of the beast technology.

soon after they want rfid chips in all people.

by 2010 we will be the North American Union.

17. mac-phisto says:

oh this isn’t all that bad. to be honest, i don’t think it will affect many of us. many states already meet the min. standards & databases that are accessible across state lines would be useful in tracking criminals & fraud. for example, mass. law allows just about anyone to register their car there which makes it easy for unlicensed & uninsured drivers in my state (conn) to wreak all kinds of havoc to our insurance rates.

i didn’t read anything that said that the issuance would be taken out of states’ hands. it’s merely stating that a state needs to meet minimum requirements. an id card w/o a photo (isn’t there still one or two states that have non-photo id?) & w/o the ability to pull up a record across state lines will not be acceptable as required federal id.

maybe i missed something.

obviously, fraud will still exist, but now someone would have to manufacture a card & they would also have to manufacture/manipulate a database entry. that should limit most fraud to internal fraud. this law makes that a felony & requires criminal background checks & bonding of state workers w/ ability to manipulate the database. there was a group working out of the dmv up here that sold thousands of real “fake” ids over a 4 year period. i think they all received sentences under a few years. imho, they should’ve been locked away for 20-25.
    (story: http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?s=6153400 )

it’s gotten to the point where some state ids won’t even get you into bars (florida ids can easily be printed on virtually any home printer).

18. SexCpotatoes says:

May 8th is my birthday…

19. IRSistherootofallevil says:

The government, not terrorists, is the enemy.

20. hi says: