Proposed Legislation To Save Internet Radio

As you may well know, U.S. Reps. Jay Inslee (D-Wash.) and Don Manzullo (R-Ill.) filed legislation that would reverse a recent decision of the federal Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) to drastically increase the amount internet radio stations have to pay to air their songs. For those of you interested you can read the proposed legislation, here. This is yet another one of those situations where you may want to write a letter expressing your opinion.

May 15 is the day that the new royalty rates will be recalculated, forcing many internet radio stations off the air. Perhaps forever. Someone play a sad song. Oh wait, never mind. —MEGHANN MARCO

Lawmakers hope to prevent demise of Internet radio [Representative Jay Isnlee]

Comments

1. heller01 says:

I just might have to take back some of the not so nice things I’ve said about Manzullo this past election cycle…

2. chipclip says:

Hey! What happened to NPR fighting against this? How is that going?

3. 5cents says:

Surprisingly little concern about this (ajudged by lack of comments). Funny how the US rate change will affect internet radio the world over. Headline, “Music piracy makes a new surge in the form of internet radio fast on the heels of increased royalty fees.” Yawn, same story innit?

4. martyz says:

This is a big-ass issue and hopefully all Consumerists will help out in letting Internet Radio live — The Internet Radio Equality Act was just introduced by Representatives Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Donald Manzullo (R-IL ) to save the Internet radio industry.

The Save Net Radio Coalition put together this great site (http://www.savenetradio.org) to make it easier to get in touch with your representative.

In 5 to 10 years, don’t you want to be able to turn on your “iPhone 5.0″ and choose from a list of 100,000 possible free Internet Radio stations to listen to?? Or if you’re in the mood for some alt.emo.smooth.jazz on your way to work, you can just pick that station on your wireless Internet-enabled car-stereo that’ll stream your tunes in all its 512kbps glory. None of that will be possible unless you help out today!!!…

5. Pelagius says:

@chipclip: NPR filed a motion for a rehearing with the copyright board around March 20th. Since then…?

6. verbalk says:

@Pelagius: The copyright board shot down their appeal.

7. FLConsumer says:

Keep it up RIAA… I’ll just start importing more music and going to more live classical, opera, and local band performances.

Bears make money, bulls make money, hogs get slaughtered. ‘Tis true of the stock market and is true of business as well.

8. lalawgirl says:

I just called my Representative, Jane Harmon. Her office is “still reviewing the legislation.”

Hopefully other lawmakers are already on board.

Call your Congresspeople, people!

9. pestie says:

People listen to internet radio? Seriously? I honestly had no idea until this started getting publicity. I assumed internet radio died a quiet, dignified death in its sleep circa 2001. Is this about AM/FM radio stations streaming their crap in digital form, or was there a whole other world of independent internet radio I didn’t know about?

10. lilyHaze says:

There’s a great Internet radio station that I listen to (accuradio). They have classical and broadway stations that I listen to often. They’ll be affected by it too. It’s sad to hear that NPR got shot down.

I’ve stopped listening to “pop” music a few years ago. Sadly, the broadway cast recordings and some classical stuff is still backed by the RIAA.

11. robbie says:

@pestie: pandora.com and internet radio stations via iTunes are two shining examples.

12. All I listen to at work is Internet radio: sky.fm, 1Music, Radio Nigel, etc.