eVGA, A-OK

‘Omaha Corrections Guy’ purchased two 256MB eVGA 7900 GT video cards. He was reveling in his “SLI-fueled gaming joy,” which can only be enjoyed with two video cards, until he began to notice artifacting, explained below:

I can’t game for 20 minutes without spikey jagged graphical flickering obscuring my view. I finally get annoyed enough to start fixing the problem. Evidently, 7900 GT’s, such as mine, are now notorious for memory problems which are causing (gasp) artifacting. They’re being RMA’ed left and right. So I pull out one card, test the remaining 7900 GT…yup, it’s….artifacting. I pull out that card, put in the other one…it’s fine. Ok, this is workable, I can still play on the one card while I send back the other for replacement.

The replacement that arrived was not the 256MG 7900 GT he sent away.

eVGA sent Omaha Corrections Guy a 512MB 7900 GTO, which is vastly superior. Unfortunately, even though the video card was better, to enjoy SLI mode, you need two cards running at the same speed. Omaha Corrections Guy sent eVGA a letter:
I recently submitted an RMA for a 7900 GT and sent it in. I got back a 7900 GTO card. While this is a nice card, even fantastic, I purchased a set of 7900 GT’s with the express purpose of running them in an SLI configuration. Sadly, I cannot run the 7900 GTO and my remaining 7900 GT in SLI mode, no matter how much I wish I could. So I am now running the new 7900 GTO alone, by itself, while my poor 7900 GT is sitting on my desk, looking at me with forlorn hope of a productive life. What can I do about this? Would it be possible to send in my 7900 GT for another 7900 GTO so I can run my system in SLI mode? I’d understand why eVGA couldn’t do this, but then, what’s life without a little hope? I purchase eVGA products because of their reputation of customer service, please help me out. Thanks!

Sure enough, eVGA responded:

I can work with my RMA department to make sure that we can upgrade your other 7900 gt. I just need you to verify the serial number for your 7900 gt and your shipping address and we can start an RMA for your 7900 gt to a 7900 gto.

We always encourage you to ask for what you want, because it may be exactly what you get. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

(Above and Beyond highlights exceptional and extraordinary acts of service performed by individuals. To nominate someone for inclusion, send your story to tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Above and Beyond” in the subject line.)

eVGA Customer Service and how it makes me giggle like a little girl [Administrative Confinement]

Comments

1. zsouthboy says:

Heads up:

This isn’t eVGA being nice – well, it is, but, specifically, this is more than likely because of their “trade up program” – they allow you to trade in a newly purchased card within the first three months of ownership.

2. unamericanvalues says:

Why is it that we need to complement a company for providing a basic simple act of customer service, oh thats right because customer service is like little children and we have to bestow complements to them before they’ll do anything in return for us.

I hate children, and customer service!

3. zsouthboy says:

Also, he could have definitely underclocked the GTO he recieved down to the GT speeds, so that he may run both cards in SLI mode – eVGA *didn’t* have to give him an upgrade on the other card in that respect.

4. FishingCrue says:

No, they should be commended because most companies would send back a refurbished unit with the same specifications. This is like sending your Nissan to the dealership and having them send you back a new Infiniti.

5. chrisgoh says:

Even more so, like sending one of the two Nissan in your driveway in and getting an Infinti back. Then they send you another Infiniti to replace the other Nissan so they match in your driveway.

A+++++++

6. Skylar says:

So he got two 7900GTOs for the price of two 7900GTs. And here I am with a single eVGA 7600GT on a 7-month old computer. Man.

I wonder if I too could take advantage of the “say it’s broken and get a free upgrade” plan. Maybe six months ago.

7. sethkinast says:

This is the reason I’m buying eVGA for my new video card and motherboard. American-based, great customer service.

8. Nickelking says:

I work at a computer repair place that also sells parts and I have gotta say that EVGA not only has a healthy obsession with fancy heat sinks, but their customer service has left me impressed every time I’ve worked with them.

9. hubris says:

@unamericanvalues:

That’s not basic customer service, it’s we’ll give you stuff that’s better than what you have for free. Far more than simple customer service. I RMA’d a card to eVGA a while ago and they also sent me back a better card than I sent in. Very cool.

10. XianZhuXuande says:

@unamericanvalues: Because, as a consumer, it is just as nice for me to learn which companies I should avoid as it is to learn which companies I should give my business to.

11. dragonflight says:

@Skylar: and here lies the reason Costco curtailed its return policy….

12. Skylar says:

@dragonflight: Easy, I was kidding.

13. ivieso says:

@Skylar:

I am not kidding. I blame Skylar for the new costco return policy and everything else.

14. shdwsclan says:

People forget that a lot of hardware on the market is in effect experimental, and failures are very.

Many people, mainly mac users, believe that a computer is a magical and shiny box.

But in reality, your being sold something that may or may not work. The system wont tell you when something is wrong and failing.

Windows does this somewhat well using Dr. Watson’s Postmortem Degugger which is part software that generates the BSOD on a system failure. But really, a system can usually go doing wierd things, even damaging itself until somebody reboots.

15. cde says:

@shdwsclan:
    What’s with the attack on mac users? Maybe your just mad that our products go through better product testing before being sold?

16. R3PUBLIC0N says:

I’ve been an eVGA customer and have forwarded others to them because of my imperfect yet delectable customer service experience with them. Let me clarify:

They have a step-up program where you can pony up your card (up to three months after purchase) and apply the dollar amount you paid for that card towards a new card direct from eVGA. Upon completing this fairly painless process, the card I received in the mail was DOA. Did not work at all. I called them and not only did they refrain from dancing around the issue, but they rushed me out a new card the very same day. I received it the next day and have been a loyal customer ever since. As any geek knows, the down time of a new toy is like watching a grandparent die in slow motion.

I as a consumer am like an abused dog that warms to the first person who shows the slightest affection. Then again, I’m also quick to snap at fingers.

17. rugger_can says:

@cde:

Umm? attack on mac users?..

Do you watch TV at all, seriously all mac run’s are attack adds. Its sad. Mac’s are great, so are PC’s. They both have their ups and downs. But last time I checked Ive never seen a window’s add that points out Tigers flaws.

Odd isnt it.

18. Motor_Head says:

When I build my new computer in a few months, I will be buying eVGA cards. I’ve always heard great things about their performance (they license the nVIDIA technology and then tweak it for better than spec results).

It is great to know that a company I was interested in using is worth the couple bucks more they charge than their competitors.

19. ShadowFalls says:

@Motor_Head:

Well, BFG Tech does the same thing, they also offer the same lifetime warranty and are an American company. I just recently had to send in a video card for RMA and I got a brand new one. The only reason this guy got a new model was one of two reasons: There was either a big problem with those models and they were being phased out, or they did not have any available at the time of his RMA, this means an upgrade. The replacement of the second card was just a rep being intelligent seeing a good PR opportunity and understanding the customer, a lesser company could have said screw you.

BFG Tech never let me down, so I will stick with them, to each their own. I do realize eVGA is a good company, there is always room for those. A lifetime warranty on a product you know will need replacing is good. Since they all have fans, you know the fan will die one day.

20. Makrel says:

I’m a 3-time eVGA owner because of their quality product, reputaion for superior customer service and top notch support. I was able to speak to a human at 1 AM on a Saturday BEFORE being a customer and the person was very polite and helpful. They back their cards 100% and for that (and the quality of product) I’m a customer of theirs for life. Good job eVga.

21. mmcnary says:

I guess that this is similar to the tire theory. I’ve had a tire suffer un-repairable damage and NTB had to replace it with a different tire because they did not stock the original tire any longer. Since tires need to be replaced in pairs, they replaced them both under the road-hazard warranty. No cost to me. This is why for the last 15 years, I’ve dealt with them for all of my tires.
    Good customer service is always worth it.

22. conformco says:

Is it just me, or does that video card look like one of those old Army jeeps?

23. crayonshinobi says:

Is it even possible to change hardware like video cards on a Mac?

Not to start another Mac vs. PC flamewar like the last computer article did, but I honestly don’t know and would like to know.

24. @crayonshinobi: Depends on which Mac you buy.

The Macs geared for professional users have PCIe slots just like any other PC (since Macs are basically very nice PCs these days and even run Windows natively). They use the same memory and hard drives as PCs.

But don’t tell people like shdwsclan that this Mac user is a hardware geek – he apparently thinks Mac users are all idiots.

25. Trai_Dep says:

Bravo eVGA! And I say this as a Mac person.

26. Indecision says:

@crayonshinobi: These days, Macs use industry-standard video cards, processors, hard drives, RAM, and probably other parts as well. Only the motherboard is really still proprietary, but that’s also true of HP, Sony, etc.

This wasn’t always true of course, but the recent few generations have been good about it.

27. cde says:

@rugger_can: Two companies taking swings at each other is different then random pc user taking a swing at all mac users. Besides, do you remember those dell (or was it gateway) commercials with the knockoff imac-clone?

@crayonshinobi: On the Power/Mac/Pro you can add or change the harddrive, optical drive, video card, extra pci cards, and even the processor (I believe they sit on ZIF sockets). The iMac is mostly user warranty-voiding serviceable for a hard-drive and optical drive change. The video is onboard I believe.

The i/MacBooks are like the iMac, you void it, but you can change the hd and cd. Power/MacBook Pro are more user friendly and allow you to change the hd and media drive, and even the cpu I believe. (Replace Core Duo with Core 2 duo).

The MacMini (and apparently the AppleTV) are the same. HD and Optical drive.

28. xenth says:

@cde: The idea that Mac’s go through better product testing is a fallacy. They have a much more limited amount of equipment to worry about conflicts with so it is much easier to make sure there will be few issues.

29. crayonshinobi says:

Thanks for the info CaliforniaCajun, Indecision and cde.

I’ve been nursing along an old gateway for the last 2 years now, and without the ability to tinker and upgrade, I would have had to buy new. The computer is only 4 years old, but it’s amazing how quick the technology moves.

I had been under the impression that you couldn’t tinker with Macs. If I ever do finally buy a Mac, I’ll stay away from the imacs and stick with Power series. Thanks.