Acer Laptop Batteries Recalled Due To Fire Hazard

Just when you thought that this whole laptop battery recall thing was over: Enter Acer computer. They’re recalling certain models with (you guessed it) Sony lithium-ion batteries. Reader Joe writes:

It seems Acer fell asleep during the whole Sony battery recall thing and is just recalling them now. Well, I do have a couple of affected Acer laptops, and so far the process is painful. The operators on the other end answer the phone in a language unknown to me (though one time I think I heard the operator say South Africa?) though they promptly switched to very understandable English after I spoke.

However, the line quality is so horrible that my call was dropped 3 before being able to complete a replacement request.

Even better is the 3 to 6 weeks it is to take for the replacement to arrive. Now I need to go out and buy another battery just in case the current one decides to asplode and take my naughty bits with it.

Heaven forbid your naughty bits get taken out, Joe. For more information about the recall, click here. If you don’t need to use your battery (sorry, Joe!) you can continue to use the notebook computers safely by turning the system off, removing the battery, and using the AC adapter and power cord to power the system until the replacement battery is received. —MEGHANN MARCO

Acer America Corporation Recalls Notebook Computer Batteries Due to Previous Fires
[CPSC]

Comments

1. Triteon says:

I had an Acer desktop years ago, and was amazed it never spontaneously combusted.

2. viriiman says:

If I squint, I can almost make out the CD-Key.

3. Stepehn Colbert says:

Acer laptops couldnt be worth $120, I remember when they were trying to give them away with signing up for a year of aol, but they weren’t worth it.

4. I’m so glad my MacBook didn’t come with NASCAR-style stickers all over it.

Gawd. Do all those stickers make the laptop cheaper?

5. shdwsclan says:

Its those sony batteries again…..

6. AcidReign says:

…..I can’t believe the things could burn. They don’t even hold enough juice to run the laptop for an hour! I ended up buying an aftermarket battery because I was sick of Acer’s.

7. tenofdiamonds says:

It’s still a hassle, but if you need a replacement battery, definitely use the online form interface and don’t waste your time on the phone. http://www.acerbatteryrecall.com/AcerWeb/page.do?acer.page

I did it last night, and Acer sent me a tracking number for my new battery today, which blew my mind. According to FedEx, I should have it on May 1. I was prepared to have to wait weeks for the thing. You’ll definitely want to hurry if you need a replacement, because those wait times are surely only going to get longer.