Make Your Own Replacement Snow Shovel Blade

“This last winter broken snow shovels starting appearing everywhere. I tried to track down replacement parts, but it turns out that replacement scoops don’t seem to exist. So I set about to make a simple replacement scoop using basic tools and found materials,” writes the author of this Instructable.

When your neighbors look at you crazy for making a snow shovel in the spring summer, you can take pleasure in the quiet satisfaction of your preparedness. What was that one about the ant and grasshopper…

Like iPods, the makers of snow shovels want you to buy a new one every year. Fight this planned obsolescence by making your own, sturdy, metal, snow shovel blade replacement. — BEN POPKEN

Broken snow shovel scoop replacement [Instructables]

Comments

1. formergr says:

Having had the displeasure of using a store-bought metal shovel that’s dented or warped, I’ll just stick with buying a new one, thanks.

Shoveling snow without a sturdy, well shaped shovel blade is a major pain in the neck, and usually results in having to go over areas 2 or 3 three times.

2. Schminteresting says:

Seriously? A post about fixing a snow shovel? Must be a slow day.

3. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

This is about as stupid a post as I’ve ever seen!
    I’ve been using the same shovel for at least 15 years in Chicago, no less!
    It’s an Teflon coated, 24″ aluminum pusher from Sears with a steel wear edge. I’ve replaced the steel edge with a much heavier one from a piece of scrap I picked up.
    I also had to replace the socket that the handle fits in that attaches to the shovel with the socket from another shovel thrown out. I’m always seeing shovels thrown out here in Chicago all winter.

There’s a simple rule with snow shovels: Never buy a plastic one, they’re garbage!
    And all steel shovels are just too damn heavy!

4. dragonflight says:

@Greasy Thumb Guzik: I too have not purchased a new shovel in quite some time. I don’t really see the practicality of this post when shovels are ‘cheap’ post-Winter (aka now) but to all their own.

I would see the value of this the night before a blizzard though :P

5. pinkbunnyslippers says:

“All you need is a clamp, wrench, vise-grips, hammer, drill bit, nuts and bolts, a flat piece of scrap metal and a scrap metal pipe with a slightly wider diameter than your old shovel stick.”

Or……..$15 for a new shovel.

6. spanky says:

It’s not just about the cost. It’s about waste. Just because you can afford to replace something rather than repairing it (or making it from scratch) doesn’t mean you should.

7. popeye_doyle says:

let’s see, where did my wife put the scrap metal–there it is, right under the spare soldering irons ….pipes slightly thicker than my old snow shovel handle are kept behind the chest of ball bearings…I think we’ve got everything.

8. umm..it is almost may and there is an article about replacing broken snow shovels?

9. pestie says:

It’s a little disturbing to me that people have such overt hostility and disdain for the idea of repairing something rather than replacing it.

10. Moosehawk says:

Or instead of wasting all that time, you could go spend $15 and buy a new shovel that way you aren’t using some ghetto sheet of metal.

11. formergr says:

But this isn’t about repairing something, it’s about Macgyver-ing a shovel from scrap. I’m all for repairing a broken snow shovel, and remember helping my father replace handles or the blade edge– nothing wrong with that and it’s stupid to throw away something that’s easily repairable.

The next time I need a wooden cooking spoon I’ll just buy a new one, even though I can go outside and pick a nice branch off a tree and carve one in probably less time and with less tools than this homemade shovel will take.

12. spanky says:

@pestie:
    Exactly.

I probably wouldn’t do the snow shovel thing for a variety of reasons–I wouldn’t want to reuse a crappy plastic handle, and I probably couldn’t get a straight enough edge for it to work well–but the fact that so many people seem completely oblivious to anything but the cost is incredibly disturbing. And it happens pretty much any time there’s an article about how to repair, reuse, or repurpose anything.

To those saying buy another shitty $15 shovel to throw away next year: Do you seriously not get it?

13. viriiman says:

How about: “Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?”

14. jkarling says:

Oh my God! Repair a snow shovel with nuts, bolts, et al? If that’s Lifehacker-worthy…we should hang up our collective hats! I must come up with 2 fixes a DAY that are better than that idea. Those of you pandering to the concept of repairing something old versus buying something new- how do you value your OWN TIME? Think about it. “I sure wish I could have seen some more waterfalls and rainbows in my day, but I was down in that basement trying to fix that @#@damn snow shovel!”

PS: Ben Popken: don’t forget your tetanus booster!

15. Sudonum says:

@viriiman: Wasn’t that on Family Guy, one of Peters flashbacks or something?

16. The_Shadow says:

As an alternative I offer the following advice. Spend a little more money up front and buy a superior quality snow shovel.

I used to work for Sears in the Home Improvement section. It was a small store so hardware, lawn & garden and related departments were all together and I {and the other employees} covered multiple departments.

Many of the Craftsman branded “hand” tools in Lawn & Garden also have the famous Craftsman Lifetime Guarantee. And unless things have changed in these last few years that included the snow shovels.

The for the outdoor tools the guarantee is usually printed on the same sticker that has the tool’s name and barcode. Often, there was also a round ‘seal’ that said [as I recall] “Liftime Guarantee/Warranty” on the sticker.

If you stop by Sears to pick up a new snow shovel and can’t find the guarantee listed on the tool somewhere – by all means ask an associate before you buy it.

17. AcidReign says:

…..Short of “Global Freezing,” I’ll never need a snow shovel. We haven’t had ANY measurable snow in my city since New Year’s Day, 2001. We always PRAY the stuff will stick around. Shoveling it up is CRAZY! Damn, it’s freakin’ late April. Our latest freeze on record is April 23. Guess it’s time to sweat for six months. Geahhhhhh….

18. mst3kzz says:

@Sudonum: Nope, Fry quote from Futurama.

I’m all for fixing things when its not a lot of trouble and it saves you a decent amount of money, but this sounds a bit ridiculous.