Errol Morris' Miller High Life Commercials Are Awesome

We like these Miller High Life ads by Errol Morris.

They’re simple and relatable and connect with certain quintessential, working class, Midwestern truths.

Bounty” extols the virtues of having a meal of a uniform color. As an aside, the customer puts salt in his beer. When we saw that, we knew they had done their research.That’s what our grandpa does to put head on his beer. He used to sell cattle.

These are how ads should be, which is probably why we’ve never seen these on TV. — BEN POPKEN

Miller High Life Commercials [Errol Morris] (Thanks to Sam!)

Comments

1. andrewrivas says:

I live in Texas and have seen most of these ads on TV. Maybe they are regional.

2. KevinQ says:

Are these real? They almost seem like parody.

K

3. tschepsit says:

If you’ve never seen them, you probably don’t watch much football.

4. krunk4ever says:

If you like these commercials, you might want to check out:

Bud Light Radio Commercials – Real Men of Genius

5. Mr. Gunn says:

An ad perfectly suited to the Champagne of Beers.

6. MadMolecule says:

I loved these commercials when I first started seeing them during NFL games, but it was a few years before I found out Errol Morris made them. He’s the filmmaker who made “A Brief History of Time,” “The Fog of War,” and (my favorite) “Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control,” as well as a bunch of others; all are excellent.

Check out this ad for Levi’s. (No profanity, but your Mom probably doesn’t need to hear it.)

7. Pelagius says:

Perhaps they should spend less on fancy-pants ads, and more on making a beer that doesn’t taste like industrial run-off.

8. rockstarjoe says:

@ Pelagius

Blasphemy! Miller High Life is delicious, and nutritious. I may be a beer snob, but I still love the MHL.

9. Kornkob says:

Your gramps doesn’t really put salt in his beer to increase the head. He’s actually trying to reduce the level of carbonation— head retention is actually reduced by introduction of salt.

Many folks don’t like the amount of carbonation found in many large scale lagers. besides, you can cram more flat beer in your gullet that carbonated beer.

Additionally, one typically adds the salt and lets the beer sit for 5 minutes or so while the co2 is released. This has the added affect of letting the beer get warmer. Warmer beer has more flavor than colder beer.

10. bambino says:

@Pelagius: Agreed. Pure slop. If I see it in someone’s fridge at a party, my opinion of them goes down dramatically.

11. mark duffy says:

Best Beer spots ever done. Idea hatched by Jeff Kling (I believe) of W+K.

12. closer says:

i think they are wonderful ads. i especially like the one that talks about baseball breaking his window. baseballs are fine, but if a soccer ball ever goes through the pane…

loved it.

i like high life. and if you’re judging someone at a party by the beer they have in their fridge…

i like high life. i also like delirium tremens. does that mean i’m not worthy of your attendance?

13. dcndn says:

The reason he puts salt in his beer is to make it taste a little less like ass. This can also be accomplished with green olives, which put on a nice little show in your glass. But overall: it’s because shitty beer needs salt to improve taste.

14. minneapolisite says:

@bambino: Beggers can’t be choosers. If you are a guest in my home rummaging in my fridge to enjoy my beverages, don’t judge me because I provide a beer that you feel is beneath you. Next time, bring your own top-shelf beer and learn to be a more gracious guest.

15. PhilR8 says:

I haven’t seen one of these ads in a few years, but I always liked them. The raspy, grizzled narrator and is unique cadence are the best part. I used to drink High Life just because of these commercials because I thought it made me seem like a real man.

Then I turned 21 and started to drink other, better beers. Oh well. I still love the commercials.

16. adam_gomez says:

Beggers can be choosers, you just need to choose who you beg from. And if I’m being judged by the beer I have in my fridge you better believe that I am judging the man coming to my place empty handed. Oh yeah, hands off the off-brand peanuts. They are awesome with cheap brew.