Infomercialscams.com Exposes TV Snakeoil

Is the product in the informercial a scam? Probably, but you can check Infomercialscams.com to be sure. There users post reviews about infomercial companies. It’s not just trashing, readers can also post a “defend” if they feel the company is wrongly accused. A ticker by each company keeps track of the number of complaints lodged.

The FTC only prosecutes an average of five cases against false infomercial advertising a year. The infomercial industry makes an average of 2 new commercials a day, over 700 a year.

A good resource for checking out infomercial products. — BEN POPKEN

Infomercialscams.com [Official Site] (Thanks to Sam!)

Comments

1. rg4vr says:

Could be because of my work connection, but the website is a little slow.

2. The Bigger Unit says:

Site can’t handle its new promotion. It’s horribly slow/down.

3. fish_heads says:

This might be a little off target, but…

I just looked up the “sauna belt” shown above, and managed to find it for sale on Amazon, despite the fact that numerous sites list it as an obvious and dangerous scam.

4. slapstick says:

Site’s not working for me either, so it must be everyone clicking through to it…

5. ColbyWolf says:

Nope. slow over this way too.

I googled and got the site to load.. but.. slow as sludge running uphill.

They mentioned they were being sued up at the top of the page.

I wonder if some other companies are getting revenge through less legal means?

6. B says:

I can’t read it either, but here is the executive summary: is a scam, don’t waste your money on it.

7. VA_White says:

I just wonder who are the idiots who pay $4000 for software that will let you lose money quickly trading foreign currency on the internet? Who?

What is the draw and how do normal people get sucked into stuff like Direct Buy and Wize.com?

8. John Stracke says:

@fish_heads:

…by third-party sellers, not by Amazon (that I could see).

9. jamesdenver says:

Ya know, if you even have a hunch it’s a scam, it probably is.

I love infomercials. They’re hilarious and act as a parody of themselves. Then I realize people actually are buying this stupid shit.

Unfortunately it’s Darwinism at work (spoken from my part time libertarian point of view). I’d rather the FTC spend more resources going after serious fraud and consumer issues like those discussed here. If you actually piss out hundreds of dollars on mixers, choppers, face creams and fake moldings there’s not much the FTC can do to keep protecting you.

I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and bike to work daily. If you actually think plugging a “sauna belt” into the wall while lazing around the house will give you rock hard abs, well, swamp land in Florida…

p.s. We need a Magic Bullet sequel. God I love Hazel, Berman, Mick, and Mimi and the whole gang. I wish I was at their bender the night before… How did that group all come together? THAT informercial was definitely made to make fun of informercials, and it works.. F the product, just make another informerical with them all…

james http://www.futuregringo.com

10. amyjay says:

I always say my get rich quick scheme is selling a get rich quick scheme.

11. digitalgimpus says:

This won’t be around to long. They will be sued out of existence. I love the idea of the site (it’s brilliant, and handy)… but these scammers always end up with the upper hand.

12. AcidReign says:

…..What gets me is the “Video Professor” CDs they shill on the Weather Channel. The video they show on the commercial is for WINDOWS ME! (And Office 97…)