Edible Nutrition Facts Printed On Cookie

BoingBoing links to this cookie that has its Nutrition Facts printed on the icing (in edible ink). Is this the future of food? No. Is it awesome? Yes. —MEGHANN MARCO

Cookie with edible nutrition facts list [Domino via BoingBoing]

Comments

1. traezer says:

I wonder how many people are going to try to peel that off.

2. bluwapadoo says:

I would eat it from the top-down so it gets healthier as I eat it.

3. snazz says:

@bluwapadoo: dont do that! the first bite would have 260 calories in it. just break off the top chunk and youve got a calorie-free cookie!

4. CyGuy says:

As a parent of young kids who is often asked to provide snacks for playgroups and kindergarten classes, the one application I could see this being useful for is listing all the possible allergens in the cookie. Of course, my guess is it’s printed in a soy-based ink, and soy itself is an allergen, so that could be a bit problematic.

5. mattshu says:

Sweet!

Pun absolutely intended.

6. superlayne says:

It’s not the future of food.

It’s the future of advertising.

7. kerry says:

I went to a restaurant a few weeks ago where the menus were printed with edible ink on edible paper, slapped onto a cracker made out of cheese and bacon. They were also customized with “welcome Kerry [lastname]” at the bottom. We were told to eat our menus when ready to order. My boyfriend ate my name first, and we had a larf about eating me. Edible ink will one day rule the planet.

8. AcidReign says:

…..How many of those cookies would you have to eat to get your daily recommended allowance of iron? 17! I don’t know about these cookies, but if I sit down with a pack of Oreo Double-stuffs, that can happen!

9. pestie says:

@kerry: Larf? Is that the cool-kids way of saying “laugh” now? I guess I can let that slide, but don’t start saying “sammich” or someone’s going to get hurt.

10. shdwsclan says:

I guess printed icing is new, but i once bought a can of pringles and each chip had something stupid printed on it…

I think we are wasting a lot of resources, like ballpark has those individually packaged expensive hotdogs….and then there are those prepackaged hotdog+bun….that generates more trash than food…

11. LAGirl says:

seems like a great diet deterrent. 260 calories + 13 fat grams staring you in the face? might make you think twice about eating that cookie. but then again…it’s a cookie. mmmmmm…..cooooookies. dang! now i want a cookie!

12. Another invented use for corn and soy. Guess we will continue subsidizing those industries because now there is a new way to use up some of that surplus.

13. Array says:

Could someone tell me the nutrition facts of the ink?

14. spryte says:

I assume this cookie comes in some sort of wrapper, and once you’ve bought and unwrapped the thing…my guess is most people aren’t going to toss it out because the saturated fat grams are staring them in the face. If you buy something like that in the first place, you probably aren’t a health nut.

I remember buying a carton of eggs once that had the expiration date stamped on each individual egg. I thought that was handy, considering the stamp on the carton itself is usually illegible.

15. Buran says:

@kerry: That’s neat. Where was that?

This cookie reminds me of Pringles Prints. I love the sour cream and onion ones, though, and the Prints are still regular-flavor-only. Sigh.

16. Stepehn Colbert says:

now my food gets to annoy me too? Great…

17. MaliBoo Radley says:

@pestie:

“Larf” is a slang way of saying laugh here in the UK. It’s as old as the hills.

18. pestie says:

@radleyas: But I’m an American! Nothing exists outside the borders of the USA!

19. wildbill says:

The problem with this new trend is that we are beginning to see research, mostly out of Europe, on how food dye affects children and some adults. At our house we try hard to avoid any foods that have food coloring as it has been linked to aggravating ADHD symptoms and Autism symptoms. I have seen this happen first hand with our own children.

This is a very disturbing trend and could be a factor in the greatly increased cases of ADHD and Autism. Something I would think the Consumerist would be concerned about.

20. britter says:

I think this is actually printed on rice paper using a desktop printer and then placed on the icing. However, there is technology out there that lets you print right on the food, like this color supplier shows in their video.

21. kerry says:

@Buran: The edible menu was at Moto in Chicago. One of the dessert courses involved edible paper, too. It was cotton candy flavored, IIRC.

@radleyas: Ah, beat me to it. I couldn’t find any web dictionaries to back me up, though I know Mr. Burns says it on the Simpsons sometimes, and therefore it couldn’t be new-fangled.

22. Buran says:

@kerry: Neat. I go there from time to time and may go there in August (TBD). I shall have to check the place out.

23. I agree with one of the commenters, don’t let my food or guilty
    pleasure(s)’annoy me’…going down!

Don’t I get credit for getting past, err reading the nutrition labeling on the packaging?

Gawd, the future has so much information (read too much). Bring back the dark ages of the 50’s and 60’s. I do not want my food stamped with a message. Because, it will start with nutrition labeling and end up with advertising and marketing on the front and back of the cookies!

I hope that food dye and labeling on the back of the cookie is sweet cuz I’m gonna lick it like a trans fat Oreo cookie! There!

Adrienne

24. kerry says:

@adriennezurub: They already advertise on food, Pringles comes out with promotional cans of chips every once in a while, with ads printed on the individual chips in edible ink.