CPSC Recalls Magnetix Magnetic Building Sets, Warns "Small Magnets Are Injuring Children"

Mega Brands is recalling 4 million Magnetix Magnetic Building Sets over concerns that children may ingest small magnets that can detach from the sets.

To date, CPSC and Mega Brands are aware of one death, one aspiration and 27 intestinal injuries. Emergency surgical intervention was needed in all but one case. At least 1,500 incidents of magnets separating from the building pieces have been reported.

The recalled sets contain over 250 plastic building pieces. Sets manufactured after March 31, 2006 bearing a warning about the magnets are not included in the recall.

The CPSC has also issued a general warning that small magnets are a serious health risk for children. Magnets have already been responsible for five CPSC recalls in the past year spanning over eight million items.

If two or more magnets, two or more magnet components, or a magnet and another metal object are swallowed separately, they can attract to one another through intestinal walls. When this happens, parents and physicians may think that the materials will pass through the child. But with magnets this is often not the case. The magnets become trapped in the body and can twist or pinch the intestine, causing holes, blockage and infection in the intestine or blood poisoning. All of which can lead to death.

If you think you may have an affected Magnetix set, contact Mega Brands at (800) 779-7122 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit their website. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Magnetix Magnetic Building Set Recall Expanded [CPSC]
Small Magnets Are Injuring Children; CPSC Releases Stronger Warning to Parents [CPSC]
Mega Brands

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. faust1200 says:

    If your child is stuck to the front of the refrigerator he/she may be affected.

  2. mom22bless says:

    They had a recall last year too…..weird!!

  3. Die Schwarze Ewigkeit says:

    It never ceases to amaze me the number of parents who fail to read packaging when purchasing toys for small children. “Choking Hazard” and “Contains Small Parts” are considered dead giveaways to anyone who can read at the 4th Grade level that little kids could eat those small parts, choke on them or in some way be harmed by them. Little kids put everything in their mouths, neodymium magnets or no. They also tend to pound things on the table, floor or what have you. Inspect these toys. If they have small parts separate or attached that could be detached by vigorous pounding, repeated trips down the stairs or in a fight for posession with an older sibling (“Mine! Mine! Mine!” You know the drill.), it’s not a suitable toy for your little one. Use some common sense people. I don’t even have kids and I understand this.

  4. infinitysnake says:

    Oh, thank god- I was horrified to see those return to the shelf after that baby died- what were they thinking?

  5. infinitysnake says:

    “I don’t even have kids and I understand this.”

    Obviously not. Many children who are injured from thse sorts of toys get them from their older siblings, at daycares, etc. Those magnets are also so impossibly tiny that in some cases, only an infant would even notoce them.